NCAA Tournament Game Thread: (3) Lady Vols vs. (6) Michigan

It was a fun season....Lots of great entertainment value...Not the ending I hoped for, but that's just how it is sometimes. No big deal.

Next seasons going to be a lot of fun too guys.
d15gbfq-382cd819-fd67-4dec-a174-8c729d5ea55e.jpg
Agree until no big deal, seriously? No Sweet 16 is a big deal, at least to me.

Congrats. I had both my shots, flew to Florida to spend 10 days with my son and his family. It was great. Even golf and shot an 80. Yes, for 18 holes.

Congrats. don’t know about golf but always good to see family even if it is in FL with this damn virus

Last edited:
If fundamentals were being taught this team would have won more games this year. Recruiting isn't that important if you continue to let players play out of control. These girls never really played team ball or played to their strengths. Unless turnovers was theirs. Clean up the mistakes and make layups should be a priority for off season.
Made some good points. However, you are not going to win a lot of tournament basketball games with KK taking 15 foot shots and trying to defend an All American in the paint. She never got into decent physical condition and seldom attempted to jump for rebounds or attempting a lay up. Last night, Davis looked like she was still in high school. Horston has starting to play much better than she did earlier in the season. Walker is playing much better on offense and defense. I think there is hope in the future. Help is on the way with some 6-1 to 6-4 athletic players coming in. They seem to be able to run, shoot, rebound, hit lay ups, hit foul shots and play defense. Rae can be the go to player if she works on her handle, and learns how to go to her left and shoot with her left hand. If key can improver her strength and make room in the lane, Coach H can mold her team into a very good team with a normal season not interrupted with Covid and injuries. Sorry if I offended anyone, but the talent pool has to become better and players can not take a game or half a game off if they are to win tournament games when you lose, you go home.

The Michigan game plan was to crowd the paint if we got some three point attempts they were not that afraid we would make a high percentage. 2 of 14 from the three tells most of the story. The at least 20 misses around the basket finishes it. I think next years team must have a couple of players that keep defenses especially zones and man to man matchup type defenses honest don't let them collapse in the paint. The shot we had the most that was open was the three point attempt and we took 14 made two and were 0 for 8 in the first half. A tough way to end the season we need at least one top quality player from the portal. Someone that is a very good defender but also a great perimeter shooter. I think the freshmen coming in upgrade the bench dramatically don't think any of them will be ready to take on a leadership or go to scorer role. Two top quality portal players and absolutely one a must make us a contender for top three in the SEC again while no player makes us about 6th in the league. 6 months to see if we can get those players we need. Still a lot to be determined before we take the floor next season.

Until you look at South Carolina getting 3 of the top 4... this is how we recruited under Pat. SC is becoming the new Tennessee.
Yep, 3 of top 60 recruits is going to keep us a mid pack team. Upset one or two higher ranked teams and lose to some inferior teams. Although coaching has improved since Warlick was fired, you gotta have great or very good players to reach the top level. We are a long way from that.
do we need to hire a great recruiter asst. coach? It seems current staff is underperforming.

It is difficult to figure out what type of team we are trying to put together. Are we trying to developer a fast guard type team or are we trying to develop a post dominated team? Our post are not physical enough to dominate and our guards are inconsistent. Our post also have difficulty making layups. The team also seems to lack the killer instinct. We have guards with athleticism but do not seem to always use it to their advantage. This team really lacks an identity.
We are trying to put together a team to win the OVC!

Next season UT will lose ground in the arms race again for another season....just the facts.
2021 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN

What struck me was there was only 2 young ladies from the state of TN on this particular list. Has girl's basketball fallen off in TN or was this just an off year? I know that TN recruits nationally, but I did wonder how much the lack of highly ranked prospects in the state affected this class.

24 years ago. Look up the last time a team won with 26 TO. Likely that same team in 97
18 assists. Not a good ratio (26-18) of assists to turnovers but still much better than the Michigan game (16-5).
My point was made. It's not easy winning games with that ratio.

Yall can hee-haw all you want about what went wrong in this game, but until we get some players who don't get incredibly frustrated by contact/no call, and players who can consistently hit from the perimeter we will continue to struggle against hard-nosed teams. Especially teams that seem to want it more. A lot of teams who are doing well right now have players who disregard when no calls and put their heads down and go to work. All season long I watched players consistently get worked up over refs missing a call. It's a distraction. If you can't focus on offense and defense because you're mad at the ref you aren't locked in. The coaching staff can only do so much about that.

Furthermore, I couldn't hear the announcers in the game sometimes yesterday because the Michigan players consistently talking; loudly, and their bench was doing the same. I don't know why Tennessee's team does not talk more on the floor, and also doesn't have their bench cheering on.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
What struck me was there was only 2 young ladies from the state of TN on this particular list. Has girl's basketball fallen off in TN or was this just an off year? I know that TN recruits nationally, but I did wonder how much the lack of highly ranked prospects in the state affected this class.

I don't think it mattered much, because the best TN players aren't necessarily locks for the Lady Vols. They didn't get Treasure Hunt or Madison Hayes this year as most recent examples.

Jaloni Cambridge appears to be the highest profile TN player in the next few classes. It would be good if Tennessee can get in with her.

We are trying to put together a team to win the OVC!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 y’all are funny. We get that we need top players but y’all know good and DAMN WELL the players she got in the 21 were more than mid major players LMAO... Puckett was recruited by over 30 power 5 conference schools. Striplin had a bunch of power 5 offers and Wynn had some top notch schools!

We all know that we need some top 5-10 talent however let’s not act like these girls were leftovers other schools did not want them.

Last edited:
It's not the $50 I lost to my cousin over this game (she went to MI) it's the way the Vols played that has me scratching my head. Now that I live up here in Genoland - having moved here from Dayton - I was hoping to see a redemption game against CT. Not this year :(

VN Store

Back