NCAA Tournament Game Thread: (3) Lady Vols vs. (6) Michigan

It was a fun season....Lots of great entertainment value...Not the ending I hoped for, but that's just how it is sometimes. No big deal.

Next seasons going to be a lot of fun too guys.
d15gbfq-382cd819-fd67-4dec-a174-8c729d5ea55e.jpg

I was Kellie's biggest critic last year. But I saw the improvement this year - it was by no means Holly-ball. There were flashes during the season that hinted at a resurgence of what we expect from LV basketball.

Tonight we rebounded well early but couldn't throw it in the ocean - we must have missed a dozen point blank shots. It happens. Brackets are busted all over the place, men's and women's. I was surprised by how little we played with Key and KK simultaneously, but I guess CKH didn't like the matchups with both on the floor.

The true test is what we get from next year's incoming class and any transfers. They have to be head and shoulders over what we got from Suarez, Salary, and Darby or else '21-'22 is not going to be pretty.

Just watched coach Harper’s presser. She looked gutted. I mean like truly sick. Pointed the loss directly to missed layups. Said that was a lack of execution which led to a little pressing.
Talked about how much she loved this team and how great it was to see their growth as women, players and teammates. Didn’t hear a thing that made me think she found them to be anything but a wonderful team. Said they came to practice ready to go everyday. Could count on two fingered the bad practices they had.
We would do well to remember that every team in this tournament will end their season with a gut wrenching loss except for one.
The carping on here about coach Harper is ridiculous and in some cases petty.
This program is miles and miles ahead of where it was 24 months ago.

The true test is what we get from next year's incoming class and any transfers. They have to be head and shoulders over what we got from Suarez, Salary, and Darby or else '21-'22 is not going to be pretty.

I don't know, I'm interested to see how our role players evolve in an offseason less plagued by COVID, including the current freshmen. We all saw Suarez can deliver in the big moments with some clutch shots against UCONN, Salary is already a solid defender and I think could develop into an Alberta Auguste type for us, and Darby actually looked pretty solid on both ends in the NCAA tournament so I think with a full season of reps and being healthy she can play more of a role and maybe be a much-needed consistent 3 point shooter. But less than them or the incoming freshmen, I think the pressure is really on our new big 3 - Burrell, Horston, and Key - to fill in Rennia's scoring, rebounding, leadership, and clutch shooting. And/or for the coaching staff to hit a home run in the transfer portal.

They were very painful to watch today.
Yea they were .. whoever said fun to watch aint hard to please ... turnovers and 17 missed layups and 1 for 15 from 3 .. thats alot of fun .. these girls can't walk and chew chewing gum at same time . Awful fundamentals with these girls and they don't seem to care or take coaching well ...

Reactions: mcannon1
Freakin awesome... Blessed and highly favored and the team i coach won a state championship recently and we are designing our rings.

So couldn’t be better 😁
Congrats. I had both my shots, flew to Florida to spend 10 days with my son and his family. It was great. Even golf and shot an 80. Yes, for 18 holes.

Yea they were .. whoever said fun to watch aint hard to please ... turnovers and 17 missed layups and 1 for 15 from 3 .. thats alot of fun .. these girls can't walk and chew chewing gum at same time . Awful fundamentals with these girls and they don't seem to care or take coaching well ...
#1 seagull fan!

I don't know, I'm interested to see how our role players evolve in an offseason less plagued by COVID, including the current freshmen. We all saw Suarez can deliver in the big moments with some clutch shots against UCONN, Salary is already a solid defender and I think could develop into an Alberta Auguste type for us, and Darby actually looked pretty solid on both ends in the NCAA tournament so I think with a full season of reps and being healthy she can play more of a role and maybe be a much-needed consistent 3 point shooter. But less than them or the incoming freshmen, I think the pressure is really on our new big 3 - Burrell, Horston, and Key - to fill in Rennia's scoring, rebounding, leadership, and clutch shooting. And/or for the coaching staff to hit a home run in the transfer portal.
Suarez is too slow and big hipped . Can't move .. Salary can't score .. Darby looks like she should be OVC caliber .. bad recruiting class .. can't have many of those and be competitive

Reactions: therealitytheory
They sure don't have any trouble playing for Geno. Or Kim Mulkey. I think winning championships and developing as a player still wins the day for most recruits.
It is difficult to figure out what type of team we are trying to put together. Are we trying to developer a fast guard type team or are we trying to develop a post dominated team? Our post are not physical enough to dominate and our guards are inconsistent. Our post also have difficulty making layups. The team also seems to lack the killer instinct. We have guards with athleticism but do not seem to always use it to their advantage. This team really lacks an identity.

Burrell needs serious ball handling drills.
Key needs the weight room.
And Horston needs to quit thinking she is LeBron.

... and anonymous keyboard warriors need to quit thinking that they know more about what our team needs than our coaches do.
So you think I'm wrong. Burrell isn't a good ball handler or she wouldn't kick it off her knee 3 or 4 times every game.
Key needs more upper body strength so guards cant tie her up so easily. Happens 2 or 3 times a game.
And if Horston would make the simple play instead of always trying to make the highlight play she would be an all American. So shove your key board warrior crap up your non knowledgeable ass.

Guys, I read some where where by one of our players is very upset with the fans and I messaged her not to worry about fake fans. Now, if u are fake fans using the name of lady vols fans to run our players out of this program u need to stop. Real fans encourage players not talk down on them. What kind of reaction would u have if someone next to u is insulting ur child for not playing well.

Should have edited this one a few more times...

Hey Darth, don't hurt yourself with all the celebration dancing. But I am happy for ya!!!!

But what is with your weird obsession over editing posts. When you were on the Summitt, you were always carping about MMC editing her posts as though it was a moral failing.

You must have had some traumatizing grammar class back in grade school. Time to let it go old foe. Grammar can be your friend.

But this is your day, the LVs got trucked!!!! Bask in your glory. You have been waiting for this all season!! (Edited just for you XOXOXOXOXOXO).

Last edited:
It is difficult to figure out what type of team we are trying to put together. Are we trying to developer a fast guard type team or are we trying to develop a post dominated team? Our post are not physical enough to dominate and our guards are inconsistent. Our post also have difficulty making layups. The team also seems to lack the killer instinct. We have guards with athleticism but do not seem to always use it to their advantage. This team really lacks an identity.

The LVs only lack an identity when they lose. We had an identity against MTSU and they had one tonight. But, the LVs were 33% shooting from the field (and most of the misses being at the rim) and a complete disaster from outside. They got the shots they wanted; turned Michigan over a bunch; and played good defense in long stretches where we could have built a lead. If you had told me that the LVs would hold Michigan to 38% shooting from the field and 6 for 20 from the outside, I would have assumed a win for the LVs.

I would not have expected Davis and Burrell to both have bad nights. It was hard to watch and sad way for Davis to end her LV career. But, onto next season.

Lose Rennia and KK this year, Rae and Walker next year, and Horston and Key the year after.
And I would say it's much more likely than not that one or more of the above won't even stick around....

I agree that it's more likely than not that either Davis or Kushkituah...or maybe both...won't even stick around next year.

Reactions: Lucy
Until you look at South Carolina getting 3 of the top 4... this is how we recruited under Pat. SC is becoming the new Tennessee.
If fundamentals were being taught this team would have won more games this year. Recruiting isn't that important if you continue to let players play out of control. These girls never really played team ball or played to their strengths. Unless turnovers was theirs. Clean up the mistakes and make layups should be a priority for off season.

Okay, I'm a UConn fan, so many of you are predisposed to hate me. But I just feel compelled to speak up. I don't understand how so many people in here can be so down on this team. I can imagine the pain you felt when the program went downhill. I'll be honest, I would come in here and enjoy your bickering. Holly wasn't a coach and she looked even worse because she had to follow the coach who literally put women's college basketball on the map. There will never be another Pat Summitt and her untimely death was a genuine tragedy on so many levels. However, you have a new coach who is doing an AMAZING job turning your program around in a short amount of time. Plus she is young and energetic and brings excitement to your game. You're in the national conversation again. And she's just started. It sucks to lose and I honestly wish you went farther and we could have played you again. But you guys should be positive and happy about the future. Okay, now you can tell me to mind my own business and stay off of your board.
No it was a decent post. A lot of truth in it.

Reactions: mlindsay
Most big wins Rennia and Re bragged just wait. Wait for what? Another loss outside of the Sweet 16? So Rennia Davis never made a Sweet 16? Criminal and only UT could accomplish such a feat. That Horston caution sign was for real, caution those expectations. Not only has football sucked for over a decade, but both the men and women's team underachieved in basketball.

VN Store

Back