NCAA Tournament Game Thread: (3) Lady Vols vs. (6) Michigan

Yeah, so if only she'd yelled at them on camera more it would have all been different. So simple isn't it?

You don't have to yell, glv,,,but you do have to KNOW you have their full attention
NEVER let someone you take out for a "foolish something" walk straight to the bench without even looking at you
It is the essence of disrespect and if you don't stop it right then, you have opened the door for it to happen again, and again, and again,,,infinity

I agree with your comments. However, some posters say that Kellie does not have "her" players. I want to give her a chance to see if she can re-establish UT as a elite WCBB team in 3 or 4 years with her players.

P.S. If Kellie can't accomplish the above achievement in 3 or 4 years. I suggest UT hire the coach that replaced Kellie at Missouri State if she (the Mo State coach) continues to win at her present pace. I realize she has only 2 years experience as a head coach but she looks really good so far.

No, she doesn't have "her" players, but she has pedigreed players that should play a hell of a lot better and more consistent than they do!

Don't have to sugarcoat anything. But do we have to have amnesia about everything good that happened?

Making the Sweet 16 would have been huge for the program, no doubt. Not doing so is disappointing, especially with one of our worst games of the year. But that doesn't take away a better than predicted SEC finish, a first round SEC tourney bye, a win over a top 5 team, and some significant player development.

No way you can look objectively and say no progress was made this season. Hell for me, its huge that they're just fun to watch again.

And what about rebounds? I haven’t looked at the box score, but it sure didn’t seem like we were getting very many. What is that supposed to be one of our strengths?
Michigan is not a small team. Four starters are over 6'0. They matched Tennessee's size at most positions, except C. Hillmon may be "only" 6'2, but she's one of the best rebounders in the country. Michigan also did a very good job boxing out...especially on Rennia. She wasn't able to get around her player to crash the glass like she normally does. This was one of the best jobs any team has done in keeping Tennessee in check on the glass, and even then they only lost the rebound battle by 2.

You don't have to yell, glv,,,but you do have to KNOW you have their full attention
NEVER let someone you take out for a "foolish something" walk straight to the bench without even looking at you
It is the essence of disrespect and if you don't stop it right then, you have opened the door for it to happen again, and again, and again,,,infinity
Last time around for this argument this season . . not all coaches play for the cameras like you apparently do. Including Coach Rick Barnes. They coach when and where and how they deem appropriate, whether you get to watch or not. You not watching it does not mean its not happening. You have no clue the level of respect or disrespect btw coach and player.

I do agree with you that some of the pedigree players, mostly Horston and Key, simply must be way better next year.

Don't have to sugarcoat anything. But do we have to have amnesia about everything good that happened?

Making the Sweet 16 would have been huge for the program, no doubt. Not doing so is disappointing, especially with one of our worst games of the year. But that doesn't take away a better than predicted SEC finish, a first round SEC tourney bye, a win over a top 5 team, and some significant player development.

No way you can look objectively and say no progress was made this season. Hell for me, its huge that they're just fun to watch again.

One of the difficult realities is that this team is going to be the best team Kellie has for at least a few years. Lose Rennia and KK this year, Rae and Walker next year, and Horston and Key the year after. I don't think any of the recruits Kellie is bringing in are at their level.

This was the best team Tennessee has had in years, and they still couldn't make it out of the 2nd round. It won't get easier over the next few years in spite of some serious sunshine pumpers who act like we actually got the top 4 recruits in the country instead of a group of mid-level recruits that likely will not be immediate impact players but will instead need some time to develop.

Not the way we went out, glv...we wimpered out of this tournament
We won a 1st round game,,,by coming back from a deficit
pitiful!

Reactions: vettefool
Michigan is a good physical team and the refs let the teams play. We were not as physical and our best scorers did not score up to their ability. Maybe it is our players who lack the ability to be physical. KJH’s MoSTATE team was both physical and could shoot the three ball. We missed too many layups and did a bad job stopping the three. We are not as consistent as we need to be and we have a lot of things to work on if we are ever going to be a top ten team. Hopefully this lose will spur the ladies to work on their game and be ready for next year.

One of the difficult realities is that this team is going to be the best team Kellie has for at least a few years. Lose Rennia and KK this year, Rae and Walker next year, and Horston and Key the year after. I don't think any of the recruits Kellie is bringing in are at their level.

This was the best team Tennessee has had in years, and they still couldn't make it out of the 2nd round. It won't get easier over the next few years in spite of some serious sunshine pumpers who act like we actually got the top 4 recruits in the country instead of a group of mid-level recruits that likely will not be immediate impact players but will instead need some time to develop.
I learned long ago not to count on any recruit for anything other than possible quality bench minutes.

The hope to keep up the improvement next season IMO relies completely on the magical offseason development machine. Which has shown signs of life lately with Massingell and then Burrell emerging as way better players. The machine would really have to crank up this year and raise Burrell one more notch to elite, and Horston and Key to at least 75% of their potential. Then add improved, healed and in shape Marta and Green, along with quality depth from at least one of the recruits. Then Walker develops a shot, and/or either Darby or one of the recruit is able to hit the occasional 3. Then we'll be ok. Not too much to ask, right?

One of the difficult realities is that this team is going to be the best team Kellie has for at least a few years. Lose Rennia and KK this year, Rae and Walker next year, and Horston and Key the year after.

And I would say it's much more likely than not that one or more of the above won't even stick around....

I learned long ago not to count on any recruit for anything other than possible quality bench minutes.

The hope to keep up the improvement next season IMO relies completely on the magical offseason development machine. Which has shown signs of life lately with Massingell and then Burrell emerging as way better players. The machine would really have to crank up this year and raise Burrell one more notch to elite, and Horston and Key to at least 75% of their potential. Then add improved, healed and in shape Marta and Green, along with quality depth from at least one of the recruits. Then Walker develops a shot, and/or either Darby or one of the recruit is able to hit the occasional 3. Then we'll be ok. Not too much to ask, right?

They need another perimeter player that can create their own shot and score at a high efficiency rate. Maybe Horston fits that role if she improves enough? Alot to ask. Burrell will need to be even better than she was this year.

My preference is to hit the transfer portal hard and pick up some players that can plug and play a la Jordan Nixon did for TAMU.

They need another perimeter player that can create their own shot and score at a high efficiency rate. Maybe Horston fits that role if she improves enough? Alot to ask. Burrell will need to be even better than she was this year.
I still hold out hope Horston can be that player. Her development, along with Key's, should be the main emphasis this offseason. And yeah, Rae will basically have to be Re next year.

Transfer pickup would be awesome.

I can read what you corrected. i wanted to know an answer to a Rutgers question so i went to the source...

I would think she got a win in against Pat somewhere along the way. Stringer is one of the great coaches and being 13-9 against Geno i don’t know of any other coach who can boast about having 9 wins against him. Maybe muffett?

Damn you’re testy... You go missing for a few after the Rutgers loss and you come back mad. You ok bro?
Couldn't be better. How you doin'?

2 blowouts by Kentucky & South Carolina. Facts

I give you the second Carolina game but we were without Rennia, last minute, against Kentucky. We also beat both of those teams earlier in the season. And neither of those losses were as bad as getting drubbed by Mississippi State by 19 at home three years ago and by 28 two years ago, or by 21 to Alabama two years ago...

Assuming no one transfers, we would have room for only one from the transfer portal next year?

Reasonable to except one or to transfer given the new transfer rules. Will be musical chairs.

VN Store

Back