NCAA Football Championship Can Now Be Bought by the Highest Bidder

You could use that same logic and say that national championships were already being bought. Look at Bama, USC, Texas, and Auburn. You Dont think Reggie Bush, Cam Newton, and Vince young were paid more at their schools than all the others? its always been a bidding war and always will be. You are crazy if you think otherwise. Nothing new here and nothing to see. Move along.
100% correct. This isn’t some brave new world. This is the veil being pulled back and some not having the stomach for it.

Agree 100%.

This is exactly why the Big Spending NY Yankess have won the last 10 MLB Championships.

NIL will help even the field. At end of day though it will all come down to how the money and talent is accumulated and managed. You will have to have a good team to evaluate, recruit, teach and coach talent. Without that your name is Jimbo.
Just quit, you make to much sense!😆🤣😆🤣You hit the nail on the head on this one. GBO

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
View attachment 521586GROUNDRULES:

* 85 max scholarships per team
*125 max players on the team
* NO LIMITS on NIL deals whatsoever
* No "salary caps" like the NFL
* NCAA afraid to regulate NIL

RESULT:

Unfettered ability to attract recruits.

Teams can have 85 players on scholly and another 40 with killer NIL deals.

Similarly, teams could, theoretically, have 125 players all earning $10M+ NIL deals. Why ever go pro?!?

NET RESULT:

Whichever football team fanbase coughs up the most donations for NIL (e.g. Tennessee via Spyre Sports Group, etc.) will pay the highest "salaries" to players and, likely, attract the most talented players and, likely, therefore win the NCAA Natty.

PARITY HAS BEEN ELIMINATED

Apply this to ANY NCCA sport. Rinse. Repeat.

... until states, colleges and/or conferences step in with new regulation/legislation.
It's always been that way

One thing I don't understand. The NCAA basically says they cannot regulate NIL, the supreme court says you cannot inhibit a players access to the free market. But...

... using that same logic, in the NFL what stops someone like Jerry Jones from giving his top QB a minimum contract but then donating $100mil to Gentle Giants Horse Rescue who just happens to have offered to pay the cowboys top QB $99mil to be a brand ambassador. Seems like if the NFL stepped in the way they would be subject to the same issue of inhibiting access to the free market, right?

Of course if Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder could do that they would. And they would probably have the same results as TAMU lol. But with UT having the Haslam family and them owning an NFL franchise seems like NIL should benefit Tennessee as much as it would any team.

The players union and a collective bargaining agreement with the owners make it so this cannot happen.

Your charity in this scenario would also be busted by regulators and at the very least it would make their Guidestar ratios crap.

One thing I don't understand. The NCAA basically says they cannot regulate NIL, the supreme court says you cannot inhibit a players access to the free market. But...

... using that same logic, in the NFL what stops someone like Jerry Jones from giving his top QB a minimum contract but then donating $100mil to Gentle Giants Horse Rescue who just happens to have offered to pay the cowboys top QB $99mil to be a brand ambassador. Seems like if the NFL stepped in the way they would be subject to the same issue of inhibiting access to the free market, right?

Of course if Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder could do that they would. And they would probably have the same results as TAMU lol. But with UT having the Haslam family and them owning an NFL franchise seems like NIL should benefit Tennessee as much as it would any team.
NFL owners agree to a lot of controls on their behavior. I'm not saying slimy things don't happen in pro sports but they self police pretty heavily.

College is the wild wild west because they're trying to find a model where the players are pros, but not pros, simultaneously. The "not pro" legal problem keeps the NCAA from regulating pay. The "pro" part means you have an uncontrolled market for player salaries.

The current college football NIL pay situation is neither sane nor sustainable.

Everyone at College Station disagrees. aTm spent whatever, rumored to be 30 mil, and commenced to crapping the bed. They have a $95mil coach, $30mil NIL collective, and not a dang thing to show for it.

Getting into the playoffs requires A LOT of things going your way. It also requires your team, coaches, fans, collectives, etc, all pulling in the same direction, all while getting some lucky breaks along the way.

I do agree there needs to be more rules about how much can be paid. I would also rather see the whole team get something than 1 guy get 8 mil or whatever. I think it will happen eventually.

There are no such a rules not can their be.
The 9-0 SCOTUS anti-trust decision in NIL saw to that.

The NCAA might introduce some caos on the portal and transfers, but if they do, they be right back in court.

Welcome to the 2020's.

Everyone at College Station disagrees. aTm spent whatever, rumored to be 30 mil, and commenced to crapping the bed. They have a $95mil coach, $30mil NIL collective, and not a dang thing to show for it.

Getting into the playoffs requires A LOT of things going your way. It also requires your team, coaches, fans, collectives, etc, all pulling in the same direction, all while getting some lucky breaks along the way.

I do agree there needs to be more rules about how much can be paid. I would also rather see the whole team get something than 1 guy get 8 mil or whatever. I think it will happen eventually.
Key is all players must make money.

There are no such a rules not can their be.
The 9-0 SCOTUS anti-trust decision in NIL saw to that.

The NCAA might introduce some caos on the portal and transfers, but if they do, they be right back in court.

Welcome to the 2020's.
It would take another lawsuit, not the NCAA, to change things.

RESULT:

Similarly, teams could, theoretically, have 125 players all earning $10M+ NIL deals. Why ever go pro?!?

NET RESULT:

Whichever football team fanbase coughs up the most donations for NIL (e.g. Tennessee via Spyre Sports Group, etc.) will pay the highest "salaries" to players and, likely, attract the most talented players and, likely, therefore win the NCAA Natty.

... until states, colleges and/or conferences step in with new regulation/legislation.

fact.gif

You could pay everyone on the team an extraordinary amount for a year or two. There is a ton of money in college football but not limitless money.
This will all settle down over the next couple of years as best practices are established. Paying players is a good thing. Amateur rules only existed to exclude poorer people. Schools and the NCAA learned to use those rules to exploit young people. While the pendulum may swing a little too far the other way temporarily, the long term correction is in the best interest of everyone.
You hit the proverbial nail. Free enterprise will come to play and it will all settle down, as you stated. The NIL conglomerates will still be in play and get their funding to offset the company expenses through fan contributions, which again puts the power schools in the driver's seat.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL

RESULT:

NET RESULT:

You can’t sign or afford them all, there will be about 20 schools that will have a legit chance.

Oh, good, I’m so glad you posted this opinion that hasn’t been overstated on this site since the law changed. Thank you so much for giving this new and insightful take on NIL.

RESULT:

NET RESULT:

It would be an antitrust violation for the NCAA to try to regulate it without a collective bargaining agreement with a players union.

When Coach Dumbasseroni has the ATM head job 5*s do not matter.

You could use that same logic and say that national championships were already being bought. Look at Bama, USC, Texas, and Auburn. You Dont think Reggie Bush, Cam Newton, and Vince young were paid more at their schools than all the others? its always been a bidding war and always will be. You are crazy if you think otherwise. Nothing new here and nothing to see. Move along.

Pfft.

Pure speculation. If it were so easy to pay peeps, talk to CJP.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

Question. That recruiting class at TAMU you are referring to. Were those recruits juniors and seniors this year or freshman and sophomores?

Maybe wouldn't be a bad thing really, but you would basically have to do it with transfers. Guys who were basically proven and league ready that you could comvince $7-$8 million is worth putting off their pro aspirations for a year.

Problem with doing that for high school kids is that half of them are basically going to be whiffs. Would kinda suck to throw out a bunch of money and end up with half a team full of JGs?

Question. That recruiting class at TAMU you are referring to. Were those recruits juniors and seniors this year or freshman and sophomores?

You actually think Jimbo's collection of 5 stars from last year is still going to be around there to be juniors and seniors?.

Some are already portal bound. Another bad year next year and the only thing left in College Station may be a smoking crater

Yeah… and no…. Only half the team gettin payed. How do you think that works in n the locker room with the SRs and Jrs?

When it becomes about money, and there are no limits, the NCAA will spiral out of control. More TV money, higher paid coaches with long term contracts, bigger NIL deals will funnel the majority of 4 and 5 star athletes to the top 10 power 5 schools eliminating any possible competition by other teams. Eventually this will implode the system and it will not take a long time to get there.

VN Store

Back