NCAA Football Championship Can Now Be Bought by the Highest Bidder

When it becomes about money, and there are no limits, the NCAA will spiral out of control. More TV money, higher paid coaches with long term contracts, bigger NIL deals will funnel the majority of 4 and 5 star athletes to the top 10 power 5 schools eliminating any possible competition by other teams. Eventually this will implode the system and it will not take a long time to get there.
It's been all about money, big TV deals, big coaching salaries, and elite players getting paid for a long, long, long time now and it's gotten bigger and bigger and hasn't imploded.

The elite talent has been funneled to a few schools for decades and decades with plenty of money changing hands and no implosion.

College football implodes when the next lawsuit comes and the players are declared professionals and employees of the schools. Then college athletics as we've known it will be over because schools can't possibly afford to pay all the athletes at the school but if a football player is an employee, so is a women's field hockey player or swimmer or track athlete or any athlete for the school.

When you see that lawsuit, don't renew your season tickets. It's over.

I didn’t realize that whoever had the most stacked roster was the automatic champion. I also didn’t realize that recruits and transfers were slam dunk successes. I guess I’ve been watching different stuff the last 30 years.

View attachment 521586GROUNDRULES:

* 85 max scholarships per team
*125 max players on the team
* NO LIMITS on NIL deals whatsoever
* No "salary caps" like the NFL
* NCAA afraid to regulate NIL

RESULT:

Unfettered ability to attract recruits.

Teams can have 85 players on scholly and another 40 with killer NIL deals.

Similarly, teams could, theoretically, have 125 players all earning $10M+ NIL deals. Why ever go pro?!?

NET RESULT:

Whichever football team fanbase coughs up the most donations for NIL (e.g. Tennessee via Spyre Sports Group, etc.) will pay the highest "salaries" to players and, likely, attract the most talented players and, likely, therefore win the NCAA Natty.

PARITY HAS BEEN ELIMINATED

Apply this to ANY NCCA sport. Rinse. Repeat.

... until states, colleges and/or conferences step in with new regulation/legislation.

The problem with your line of thinking (other than its wrong) is that the NFL does not cap the NIL ability of its players. This is why Peyton and Brady made $100M plus each year during the latter part of their careers and not a single offensive lineman made anywhere close to that.I would be willing to wager that didnt/doesn't bother you in the least.

You do understand that the Athletic Departments are not paying out for players...correct?

Also, the fanbases whining about their school being left behind can fix that. Start a Spyre sports type business and put together NIL deals for the players they want.

Reactions: Raebo
Question. That recruiting class at TAMU you are referring to. Were those recruits juniors and seniors this year or freshman and sophomores?
Good point. It didn’t change their hopes, dreams, or attitude about winning it all. as soon as Dumbo started losing, we heard all about his buyout too, which only really reinforces my point. They EXPECT it all to translate into trophies immediately.

We also have no clue what kind of deals were inked with their upperclassmen. Im sure there were some. I wish more of that info came out.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
That’s good in theory but terribly bad in reality. If that was the case the Yankees would have won a ton more World Series. In fact 1 year the devil rays won it with the lowest payroll in baseball. Highest dollar does not automatically make you a winner. There are many examples to prove you wrong but I don’t have the time.

It doesn't matter how many superstars you have if they don't play like a team. Texas A&M accomplished one thing. They assembled most of the recruits from last year who think money offers the easy way out. NIL does not eliminate the need for players to work their tails off to be recognized as a success. Winning championships will always come down to the collective character of the individuals on the team.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
NIL seems cumbersome for business to really profit from. College eligibility is so "short", that by the time a players N.I. or L goes viral in the fanbase, the season is often over and they are off to the NFL. I mean there are a handful of players for us over the years that "went viral" quickly then stayed long enough for their NIL to bring some company real marketing value.

Peyton, Berry, Dobbs etc were big names for 2 or 3 years that could promote a product/svc.
But most big names (ones that make you money by association) are flash in the pan. Jalin Hyatt for example. They blow up during the season, but that means they are NFL ready, and then gone at seasons end. By the time they've developed they are about ready to leave.

The vast majority of players have little NIL power for marketing.
Good marketing saturation for using a players NIL needs a season, off season and then another season it seems. This has risks too. What if $omeone went all in on Tillman last year, then off season, bam then he's injured and now he's not really in the convo. So, this whole thing has value limits to biz.

And tight limits on profits to only a narrow group of players. I can see a handful of recruits or super frosh who could be a big time money play. But for the average starter, backup, or walk on, the money will be very limited at best. I mean, even Fulky is only doing radio ads for his church. And he's pretty well known in the fan base.
All that said ... NIL as a loophole for paying players and influencing recruiting and rosters is a whole different animal.

You could use that same logic and say that national championships were already being bought. Look at Bama, USC, Texas, and Auburn. You Dont think Reggie Bush, Cam Newton, and Vince young were paid more at their schools than all the others? its always been a bidding war and always will be. You are crazy if you think otherwise. Nothing new here and nothing to see. Move along.

There are realistically about 20 programs now that have the wherewithal to compete for national titles and those 20 programs have the support to compete in the NIL market. About all NIL will do is reshuffle the deck to some extent and create some level of parity among those 20 programs. For example, a jr back up tackle at Bama may be targeted by a team like Arky, get a nice NIL deal and get to audition for the NFL as a starter for Arky. Yeah, it might suck for Bama but be a decent deal for everyone else, even the fans of college football.

The problem with your line of thinking (other than its wrong) is that the NFL does not cap the NIL ability of its players. This is why Peyton and Brady made $100M plus each year during the latter part of their careers and not a single offensive lineman made anywhere close to that.I would be willing to wager that didnt/doesn't bother you in the least.

You do understand that the Athletic Departments are not paying out for players...correct?

Also, the fanbases whining about their school being left behind can fix that. Start a Spyre sports type business and put together NIL deals for the players they want.

You're missing the point: NIL is the college equivalent of NFL salary. In the pros, there's a cap. In NCAA, there's no cap.

Without a cap, there's no parity.

I understand that you're gung-ho with Spyre, and I agree they seem to be doing great. But when and if the huge schools with alot more graduates than us (Texas A&M, Ohio State, Florida, Texas) decide to contribute to their respective NIL hub en masse, we're in trouble.

We're the 62nd largest university in the nation by enrollees. If endowment is considered, we're way down the list as well.

Thus, all other things equal, we're really not in a position to compete with TAM, FL or the other UT with NIL. Given they love their football as much as we do, this is a problem.

You can deny it, but we already saw it begin last year with the Texas teams. And, yeah, recruiting matters. Without the top recruits, we'll never compete for a Natty. Yeah, coaches matter alot too, but without the recruits, you simply can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Reactions: tbh
Everyone at College Station disagrees. aTm spent whatever, rumored to be 30 mil, and commenced to crapping the bed. They have a $95mil coach, $30mil NIL collective, and not a dang thing to show for it.

Getting into the playoffs requires A LOT of things going your way. It also requires your team, coaches, fans, collectives, etc, all pulling in the same direction, all while getting some lucky breaks along the way.

I do agree there needs to be more rules about how much can be paid. I would also rather see the whole team get something than 1 guy get 8 mil or whatever. I think it will happen eventually.

Agreed. Having a great coach and AD is crucial to success (SEE: our last 15 years of hell).

However, I stand by the truism that ALL OTHER THINGS EQUAL, the team with access to the most NIL will recruit the best players and win Natties.

RESULT:

Similarly, teams could, theoretically, have 125 players all earning $10M+ NIL deals. Why ever go pro?!?

NET RESULT:

Whichever football team fanbase coughs up the most donations for NIL (e.g. Tennessee via Spyre Sports Group, etc.) will pay the highest "salaries" to players and, likely, attract the most talented players and, likely, therefore win the NCAA Natty.

... until states, colleges and/or conferences step in with new regulation/legislation.
The only thing NIL changes is that there is an open legal way for the money to change hands, so Alabama and Ohio State lose their advantage in understand methods. It also means the players can get quite a lot more money with individual boosters losing their main method of influence.

I'm assuming the players have to pay and file taxes on this. I'm also assuming that if they are getting any type of aid to attend school (e.g. scholarships or grants based on income), this is reported to that and the level of money they get to support their education is reduced.

That is how it works for students who are not athletes who also work.

I agree there may have been some of this going on in places before, but now that it is out in the open, it should be $$'s that have to be reported as if they were working - so they pay taxes and it impacts any grants they get based on income. I can see some players at some point getting in trouble for not filing taxes or reporting it as income.

The NIL is why I will probably just contribute the bare minimum to be able to purchase season tickets. The only reason I did not have a problem with the donation before was because I thought it was needed. But with some of the $$'s being out there, the players make more than me and I had to complete school to even get on the path to making what I make. So no more.

You're missing the point: NIL is the college equivalent of NFL salary. In the pros, there's a cap. In NCAA, there's no cap.

Without a cap, there's no parity.

I understand that you're gung-ho with Spyre, and I agree they seem to be doing great. But when and if the huge schools with alot more graduates than us (Texas A&M, Ohio State, Florida, Texas) decide to contribute to their respective NIL hub en masse, we're in trouble.

We're the 62nd largest university in the nation by enrollees. If endowment is considered, we're way down the list as well.

Thus, all other things equal, we're really not in a position to compete with TAM, FL or the other UT with NIL. Given they love their football as much as we do, this is a problem.

You can deny it, but we already saw it begin last year with the Texas teams. And, yeah, recruiting matters. Without the top recruits, we'll never compete for a Natty. Yeah, coaches matter alot too, but without the recruits, you simply can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

NIL is not a salary from the school. It is no more complicated than that. Thus it is not equivalent to an NFL salary and only those who refuse to understand such a simple concept continue with incorrect assumptions and statements.

Name
Likeness

Every adult owns their NIL whether they are a collegiate athlete or not. Again, a simple concept. A concept that the NCAA illegally refused to allow their athletes to use. But the very worst part is the NCAA and the schools making up that organization made Billions of dollars on the Name Image and Likeness of their athletes.

NiL is a good thing for all except those so selfish that for their mere entertainment (and the fatcats making $millions in athletic departments) they would deny another human the right to own themselves.

And if it ends the NCAA as we know...the world is a better place for it.

Reactions: Visiting Dawg

RESULT:

NET RESULT:

this is such a flawed argument... the schools cannot pay the players and the players can leave anytime they want for greener pastures. Bama has starters leaving lol

What will change is there will be more parity because people wont be able to stock up rosters with guys willing to sit 2-3 years till their turn. They would rather go to a smaller school and get PT and NIL money. This will actually help smaller schools and more run of the mill players. The big deals will be few and far between outside of a few blue-chip players but those players will get the NIL money no matter where they go because its gonna come down to things like Dr. Pepper and Hyatt and those that's where the big money will come and it wont be attached to a school but the player.

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
It's no coincidence that Pruitt coached at Alabama and FSU with Jimbo, and those schools/Jimbo are have been highly successful recruiters. They all came from the $aban school of recruiting. This scheme wasn't just something Pruitt came up with on the fly. It was what he learned from $aban. $mart was doubtless doing it as well before NIL which is why Georgia rapidly stacked the roster. I mean we lost an OL that we supposedly paid 50k to land. He went to UGA. I am sure it wasn't because he just liked Georgia that much. When you see Alabama players going from relative poverty to having 50k cars as freshmen, repeatedly for the entire $aban era, you know what's been up. You still have to be able to coach, but buying championships has been around for a long time. The $aban method is just the best pay for players scheme since Rupp/Bear Bryant ran them. NIL just means taxes are getting paid and the NCAA can't sweep in and selectively investigate and penalize programs.

Everyone at College Station disagrees. aTm spent whatever, rumored to be 30 mil, and commenced to crapping the bed. They have a $95mil coach, $30mil NIL collective, and not a dang thing to show for it.

"...not a dang thing to show for it"[YET]. A&M will trend sharply upward in '23 and be squarely in the mix for the SEC Championship in '24. All those 5* recruits will shine as Juniors.

"...not a dang thing to show for it"[YET]. A&M will trend sharply upward in '23 and be squarely in the mix for the SEC Championship in '24. All those 5* recruits will shine as Juniors.
*if they can keep them, develop them, and continue to recruit more.

And we are doing better than ever. Coincidence? I think not. I’m glad the NIL exist and I’m glad it exist in the manner that it does because we are taking advantage of it.

Screw everyone else. Tennessee is back and they got to compete against us now.

We got the BEST NIL deals, we raid the transfer portal, we are finishing #6 (should be 5), and all of that started when we were able to compete on a level playing field with UGA, Bama, and other teams perfectly willing to CHEAT TO WIN.

Now cheating is legal and UT is doing exactly what they should have been all along.

Not sure this is the thread for European kickball.

My point is, premier soccer doesn't give 1st round drafts to crappy teams to make the teams even, it's pure capitalism. The ncaa, bowl games are all sbout money.

Getting into the playoffs requires A LOT of things going your way. It also requires your team, coaches, fans, collectives, etc, all pulling in the same direction, all while getting some lucky breaks along the way.

I do agree there needs to be more rules about how much can be paid. I would also rather see the whole team get something than 1 guy get 8 mil or whatever. I think it will happen eventually.
They should demand a refund!

VN Store

Back