Name, Image, Likeness (NIL) Lady Vols Basketball

For me it is becoming a lot like MLB (and other pro sports). At one time (yes I am old) I was foolish and thought MLB players had a lot of allegiance to their team but I was fine with free agency since I thought players should get paid more. With so many players now basically going to the highest bidder I realize they have VERY little allegiance to the “team” but have some allegiance to their teammates but most of their allegiance is to the big bucks. I think college sports-football, men and women basketball is rapidly transitioning to that mindset (at least at the major schools).

Coach Kellie has stated the number 1 question recruits have is about NIL. That indicates to me that in general their number 1 allegiance is to the money. If I was in their situation I would probably feel the same way. Just like any job offer there are other considerations such as location, how does the family feel about it, etc.. If they attend 1 school for 4 years they will probably acquire some degree of allegiance to the school.

Just like MLB I am a fan of a team/school and I respect what the players did while at my team but my allegiance to the players is down since I feel like they are becoming mercenaries, especially with the transfer portal playing a role along with the NIL.

Just my feeling.
Why doesn't the mlb have salary cap? story online. MLB has no hard cap they have a luxary tax. If a mlb speads more than cap three years in row team is taxed. All this in story i started this post with. Now for nfl, nhl, nfl they take set % of profits give owners and players agree share. I missed nba put nfl twice.

Reactions: Raebo
My wish, probably naive af, is that NIL be separated from recruiting. Deals only made after a recruit is enrolled. Recruits can still consider what deals current players are getting in making their decision, but NIL should not be used as direct monetary enticement to recruiting IMO.

Of course at this point I'm happy if the Ladies get anything at all. Thrilled for their shirtzees or whtever. They're on a whole different planet than that new quarterback the Vols just recruited/bought.
Yeah, I can just see management doing the right thing to the student athlete if they sign first without a settlement of what they are going to get. I wonder if the NFL union does that?

Why doesn't the mlb have salary cap? story online. MLB has no hard cap they have a luxary tax. If a mlb speads more than cap three years in row team is taxed. All this in story i started this post with. Now for nfl, nhl, nfl they take set % of profits give owners and players agree share. I missed nba put nfl twice.

The players' union is strong and would not allow a hard cap. Several of the big-time owners wouldn't like it either. Combine those two factors and there will continue to be no cap. You'd need strong support by nearly all the owners to break the union on that issue. There would probably be over a full season of strike/lockout.

NIL is stupid and should be greatly reigned in. Right now it's legalized bribing of young people--most of whom will do little or nothing to justify the money merely given to them to sign. That was not the intention of NIL, and I can't imagine why this nonsense is allowed to continue. Only in America. The whole thing is an embarrassment.

NIL is stupid and should be greatly reigned in. Right now it's legalized bribing of young people--most of whom will do little or nothing to justify the money merely given to them to sign. That was not the intention of NIL, and I can't imagine why this nonsense is allowed to continue. Only in America. The whole thing is an embarrassment.

As divided as the Supreme Court is, it unanimously held against the NCAA, so the NCAA must be extremely careful going forward. If the NCAA "reigns in" NIL, there will be a class-action lawsuit and the NCAA likely could lose any ability to curtail payments to players. Telling a US citizen that you cannot earn money is almost always a violation of antitrust.

Here is the Supreme Court Ruling: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/20-512_gfbh.pdf
Here is a good short analysis: College Athletes Beat NCAA at Supreme Court 9-NIL, Allowing Endorsements | Gordon Feinblatt LLC

Here’s a link for a one time donation of $15 if you can’t afford the $25 per month route

Here’s a link for a one time donation of $15 if you can’t afford the $25 per month route

I love the AD White spoke out the way he did today. I don’t think I’ve heard another send a call to action in quite the same way. 🧡

I do have a question and I’m sure it’s something that could happen in the future with the boostHER club and even the volunteer club but maybe events in areas with lots of UT fans who aren’t in Knoxville. Like, I’m in Atlanta and would love even if there were like a couple of watch party’s or just anything really.

I love the AD White spoke out the way he did today. I don’t think I’ve heard another send a call to action in quite the same way. 🧡

I do have a question and I’m sure it’s something that could happen in the future with the boostHER club and even the volunteer club but maybe events in areas with lots of UT fans who aren’t in Knoxville. Like, I’m in Atlanta and would love even if there were like a couple of watch party’s or just anything really.
Hopefully as it revs up they’ll be able to expand on events. I saw today where Hendon Hooker signed a deal with Mercedes of Knoxville and Mark Wahlberg’s clothing line Municipal

Let's be real, many college athletics have been getting paid in one form, or another, excluding college scholarships, for many years. It may have been indirectly or under the table.The difference is some college athletic programs have been caught while others have not been. The NIL is a major game changer. At least most of the payouts will be above the table, with some still being paid under the table. The best of high schoolandporyal recruits will demand the higher dollars. The idea of coming to Tennessee, Texas, LSU, Oklahoma, or Georgia based upon name recognition, or athletic history, will mean little to many athletes if it does not provide a particular financial benefit. Basically, we have a situation of out bidding other schools for the services of top high school recruits and those in the portal. You might say you can't promise an athletic more than a full scholarship and medical, yes you are right, however, donors with deep pockets associated with the top universities are known by these athletics, again based on general knowledge or someone accidently, LOL 😆, name dropping. Also deep pocket donors like Nike, Addias, Under Armor can contact athletes before they make a choice, as long as they do not make it a requirement that they attend a particular college or university. Let's face it, these athletes know the right university, or college, to attend for the biggest dollar bang for their services. If the University of Tennessee want to remain at the top of the recruitment food chain, they will need to be associated with donors with deep NIL pockets.

VN Store

Back