My thoughts...

I disagree completely. Sure they were cold but I thought a lot of the 3’s were either rushed or forced

Well, OSU is a great def team then cause the completely shut down the driving lanes AND defended the 3. Maybe we should realize they’re better than Tennessee if they can do that.

I agree with pretty much everything you said except, losing to a 12 seed that hadn’t won an NCAAT game in 40 years is pretty much a “ huge” disappointment. No excuse for that

Oh I agree completely that today's performance was downright pathetic and inexcusable. I may not have worded that well in my post.

Reactions: 1985Vols
I am going to go ahead and say Barnes needs to completely overhaul the offense. Perfect year to do so to take advantage of our stud PG coming in
That’s laughable. R u really relying on a PG to save this team? Get rid of Barnes. Unacceptable performance in the tournament. Loses the big ones. Get some players for goodness sakes.

We need skilled basketball players. I've never seen a high D1 program with fewer basketball skills. Things like shooting, ball handling, passing, tangible basketball skills. Those were severely lacking on this team. Chandler is a good start, hopefully Maschick has something similar.
Bingo. I just posted this in the other thread. Plenty of talent. Little skill. There’s a big difference

The head coach constantly ridiculing players has to change. This team was mentally beat down. They got beat down weeks ago. Players lack confidence cause they know if they make a mistake, they get no other shot. Players have to know their role and be expected to perform when time comes. Most of the bench never knows if they’ll get in or not.
I’ve heard this as well. I’ve also heard Barnes is the most arrogant coach on campus

As much as I enjoyed watching Springer & Keon, they’ve had several moments where they played selfish basketball.

That’s why you can’t rely on freshman to go far into the Tournament.

Bailey is either hot or cold.

SV is playing out of position.

Not having Fulky hurt us.

I agree with everything but your first sentence. We desperately needed their offense, but well, sentence #2.

74th
73rd
96th
80th

The four seasons of offensive efficiency we’ve had when Grant Williams wasn’t SEC POY under Barnes.

So either we miss a lot of open shots and Barnes doesn’t have recruits good shooters...or our offense doesn’t produce good shots. So either way Barnes isn’t doing a good job of providing good offenses.
We had some shooters too

Maybe I'll do an edit. A complete overhaul of the offense is necessary. I dont want Barnes fired, but Barnes needs to run a new offense. If he doesn't, he deserves some heat
Why not? Barnes should be fired. There is a reason Texas got rid if Barnes. Its called March Madness Failure. Barnes is not going to run a new offense, he just runs this terrible slow half court pass the ball until 22 seconds left & then shoot offense. He will not adjust his offense or coaching style to reach his players max potential.

Reactions: Volle
Next year will be interesting.

Some of the holes this team had will still be there and some of them will be bigger after the draft.

Best case, Fulky comes back and finds his Jr form, James takes a big leap on the offensive end and Chandler looks like a lottery pick at PG.

There are still some decent players past that but none that have shown they are ready to carry the weight required to contribute to a good team.
This team still needs a Rim Protector/Rebounder. Fulk is not that guy.

Anyone who has watched this team closely the last two months shouldn’t be surprised by today’s result. I thought we would get past OSU but no further and losing wasn’t a shocker. Heck many commentators accurately said the same once the bracket came out. We re-invented ourselves a few times this year and it just didn’t work.

Barnes deserves criticism but those calling to replace him are hopefully nothing more than a few loud voices. Early in the year we actually took good shots, but throughout the year haven’t been able to shoot consistently. One of the few young teams that actually got worse as the year went but it wasn’t as if Barnes did nothing. He totally flipped the offense which was centered around Fulkerson, that played inside-out, to one where the freshman were the primary ball handlers and the primary offensive focus. To a degree he was forced to do this as Fulkerson disappeared and we couldn’t make outside shots so he tried to manufacture offense, by increasing tempo and asking Springer/Johnson to score. Our half court offense plummeted to being barely functional. We could only score when we ran. Throughout, perimeter shooting was inconsistent.

I simply don’t think Barnes knew what to do with this bunch. He had no answers. I get it, he is paid to find answers but we had a ton of Hall of Fame coaches who had no answers this year. We need an inside game to run his half court offense. With Grant, Admiral and Bone we had one of the most efficient offenses in the country, but our current makeup didn’t mesh with his offensive philosophy especially after Fulkerson started struggling for whatever reason and we went to PG by committee. No depth developed and didn’t have any large leaps of anyone playing above who they were last year. Which for Barnes is unusual. i don’t know but perhaps trying to recruit the one and dones despite how exciting it appears on the surface just isn’t the best way to continue to build a sustainable winning program.

I don’t know, just a disappointing year. Barnes needs to learn that he needs to recruit players for certain roles and define them clearly and not make it up as we move through a season, regardless of how many stars they have attached to their name. Good luck to Springer and Johnson in the draft.

Anyone who has watched this team closely the last two months shouldn’t be surprised by today’s result. I thought we would get past OSU but no further and losing wasn’t a shocker. Heck many commentators accurately said the same once the bracket came out. We re-invented ourselves a few times this year and it just didn’t work.

Barnes deserves criticism but those calling to replace him are hopefully nothing more than a few loud voices. Early in the year we actually took good shots, but throughout the year haven’t been able to shoot consistently. One of the few young teams that actually got worse as the year went but it wasn’t as if Barnes did nothing. He totally flipped the offense which was centered around Fulkerson, that played inside-out, to one where the freshman were the primary ball handlers and the primary offensive focus. To a degree he was forced to do this as Fulkerson disappeared and we couldn’t make outside shots so he tried to manufacture offense, by increasing tempo and asking Springer/Johnson to score. Our half court offense plummeted to being barely functional. We could only score when we ran. Throughout, perimeter shooting was inconsistent.

I simply don’t think Barnes knew what to do with this bunch. He had no answers. I get it, he is paid to find answers but we had a ton of Hall of Fame coaches who had no answers this year. We need an inside game to run his half court offense. With Grant, Admiral and Bone we had one of the most efficient offenses in the country, but our current makeup didn’t mesh with his offensive philosophy especially after Fulkerson started struggling for whatever reason and we went to PG by committee. No depth developed and didn’t have any large leaps of anyone playing above who they were last year. Which for Barnes is unusual. i don’t know but perhaps trying to recruit the one and dones despite how exciting it appears on the surface just isn’t the best way to continue to build a sustainable winning program.

I don’t know, just a disappointing year. Barnes needs to learn that he needs to recruit players for certain roles and define them clearly and not make it up as we move through a season, regardless of how many stars they have attached to their name. Good luck to Springer and Johnson in the draft.

Good post. We lost our identity during the year and were only consistently good playing d. We struggled mightily with turnovers and scoring. I have felt for a while that too many started waiting on one of the freshman to make plays - look at how many shots we passed up right at the goal to get a “better” shot. One time today, jjj was right under the goal and made a horrible pass which bounced off the intended recipient. Once teams started taking away the driving lanes the Springer was done. Johnson had more success but he was a one man show at times (like today). Way too many on this team would go awol for long periods of the game and even for multiple games in a row.

If true then they hurt their stock..Just like the rest of the team, they regressed as the season went on.

That is why they need to return. As freshmen, they just don’t fully understand the game yet, especially as you move up in levels. College BB is completely different than high school, and pro BB is completely different than college. While they may have the skill set to play in the pros (which I really didn’t see this season), they need to mature as players. Without this maturation, their NBA careers will be short-lived.

Reactions: tnvols72 and VOLED
That is why they need to return. As freshmen, they just don’t fully understand the game yet, especially as you move up in levels. College BB is completely different than high school, and pro BB is completely different than college. While they may have the skill set to play in the pros (which I really didn’t see this season), they need to mature as players. Without this maturation, their NBA careers will be short-lived.
I agree, completely. I don't get it, either, 10-12 years ago, neither would be ready for the NBA. But, the NBA will take 'em both in the 1st round, Keon in the lottery. Whether they wash out or not, how can u turn down that kind of guaranteed money ?

Reactions: ftsandersvol
Remember when you said that same exact thing against Ole Miss and told me not to worry about the offense?

Let’s stop making excuses for it. The reason we had so many poor shooting games is because the offensive philosophy sucks. It’s not dumbing it down, you’re ignoring the overall problem. Other than two amazing Grant Williams here the offense has never been good since Rick got here. We had two lottery picks, two seniors and overall four returning starters yet the offense continued to suck. We miss shots because we don’t get good looks consistently.

Maybe part, but I’ve seen so many missed open shots. Just not great shooters. I’ve seen opponents make contested shots, so it’s not just the offense.

The head coach constantly ridiculing players has to change. This team was mentally beat down. They got beat down weeks ago. Players lack confidence cause they know if they make a mistake, they get no other shot. Players have to know their role and be expected to perform when time comes. Most of the bench never knows if they’ll get in or not.
This x1000 because the rotations have made no frikin sense all year. No rhyme or reason to them at all.

I agree, completely. I don't get it, either, 10-12 years ago, neither would be ready for the NBA. But, the NBA will take 'em both in the 1st round, Keon in the lottery. Whether they wash out or not, how can u turn down that kind of guaranteed money ?

You guys who say “they aren’t ready” don’t get it. You are thinking more in terms of the NFL system / process.

With the NBA, it’s a little more like baseball.

NBA teams feel better about their ability to develop a kid to play in their league than they feel about a college coach’s ability to develop them.

The NBA and college game are so different. They would rather get Keon now than in 2 years.

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland

VN Store

Back