My thoughts...

Well said BTO. I don't think it's time to fire Barnes either. He inherited a dumpster fire and now we're at a point where we can call an 18-9 NCAA tournament season a huge disappointment. The program has come a long ways under him.

With that being said, I think Barnes finds himself at a crossroads. He absolutely has to modernize his offense and start recruiting good outside shooters. The game is more perimeter oriented now than ever before. It's time for him to catch up.

On top of that, he needs to cut some of the dead weight off the roster and replace it with some quality transfers (and BHH). Next season is going to be a show me something season for Barnes, and it won't be good if we're counting on guys like Gaines, Pember, Anosike, and Uros to play big roles.
I agree with pretty much everything you said except, losing to a 12 seed that hadn’t won an NCAAT game in 40 years is pretty much a “ huge” disappointment. No excuse for that

Reactions: djohnnyg
74th
73rd
96th
80th

The four seasons of offensive efficiency we’ve had when Grant Williams wasn’t SEC POY under Barnes.

So either we miss a lot of open shots and Barnes doesn’t have recruits good shooters...or our offense doesn’t produce good shots. So either way Barnes isn’t doing a good job of providing good offenses.

James might want to explore his NBA potential this year. The draft is going to get crowded soon with the 1 and done players going away. The NBA will draft on what physical tools they think you have. JJJ is pretty smart on the court, has a workable shot and does a ton of things well. I think his pro prospects are probably higher than Pons as far as actually playing in the league.
James isn't sniffing the draft, this year.

Reactions: 1985Vols
74th
73rd
96th
80th

The four seasons of offensive efficiency we’ve had when Grant Williams wasn’t SEC POY under Barnes.

So either we miss a lot of open shots and Barnes doesn’t have recruits good shooters...or our offense doesn’t produce good shots. So either way Barnes isn’t doing a good job of providing good offenses.
I 100% think we need better post play and better shooters, never said otherwise

Reactions: ArdentVol

He won't ever be any closer to getting drafted than he is now. As sad as that is, if he wants to play pro ball it's as good a time as any to at least go through the process to see where he stands.

Ahhh, so Pons? Or not him? So just Vescovi is allowed to shoot 3’s according to Z? So take 8 3’s today and that’s it? According to you we needed to be taking 25+, which is it? Bailey’s percentage is almost identical to Vescovi’s on same number of attempts just about fwiw.

Again you continue to be dense about this.

We don’t get good three point attempts because we don’t have good spacing. We don’t create mismatches because we don’t run ball screens. We don’t push in transition and get easy buckets. We have an over reliance on mid range jumpers and it bogs the offense down. This is why we miss shots. Because they aren’t good ones.

74th
73rd
96th
80th

Wow, that is very telling. It’s obvious Barnes needs to lose some of his stubbornness and if he’s not willing to, he needs to retire

He won't ever be any closer to getting drafted than he is now. As sad as that is, if he wants to play pro ball it's as good a time as any to at least go through the process to see where he stands.
This draft is stacked, he didn't stand out this year, and he has a lot of deficiencies in his game. He's not likely to ever be much of an NBA player, but his best chance of being drafted is returning and being a bigger focus of the offense, next season.

Reactions: ArdentVol

We don’t get good three point attempts because we don’t have good spacing. We don’t create mismatches because we don’t run ball screens. We don’t push in transition and get easy buckets. We have an over reliance on mid range jumpers and it bogs the offense down. This is why we miss shots. Because they aren’t good ones.
All great points. We look like a pick up basketball team offensively while I watch teams like Oregon St run offensive sets and set screens For shooters

Last edited:
James is a 4 year
He can go through the process but he’ll be extremely disappointed to find out he’s physically ready but doesn’t have the game to go with it

That’s BS, especially on today’s game...majority of our 3’s were “good looks”

Not that my opinion really matters, but I thought we had a lot of good looks from 3 for the most part, outside of the ones in the last 5 minutes or so.

Bad shooting night initially and this team really struggles to change the momentum of the game once it gets away from them, mainly due to the lack of easy buckets/a big man to take over.

The head coach constantly ridiculing players has to change. This team was mentally beat down. They got beat down weeks ago. Players lack confidence cause they know if they make a mistake, they get no other shot. Players have to know their role and be expected to perform when time comes. Most of the bench never knows if they’ll get in or not.

The head coach constantly ridiculing players has to change. This team was mentally beat down. They got beat down weeks ago. Players lack confidence cause they know if they make a mistake, they get no other shot. Players have to know their role and be expected to perform when time comes. Most of the bench never knows if they’ll get in or not.
If they can’t handle tough coaching, they won’t last in the NBA, no matter how highly they’re drafted.

You weren’t watching the same game then. You’re the only person I’ve on here thinking we got good looks all game.

I thought Tennessee missed alot of wide open 3s. Tennessee could have easily hit 10 more 3s if they had a hot hand.

If they can’t handle tough coaching, they won’t last in the NBA, no matter how highly they’re drafted.

Every team Barnes has had here has peaked early in the season. It’s the constant picking at everything with the players. NBA coaches only fight the big battles. They know they need the players. I don’t think Barnes realizes that.

I thought Tennessee missed alot of wide open 3s. Tennessee could have easily hit 10 more 3s if they had a hot hand.

I disagree completely. Sure they were cold but I thought a lot of the 3’s were either rushed or forced

VN Store

Back