My thoughts...

Remember when you said that same exact thing against Ole Miss and told me not to worry about the offense?

Let’s stop making excuses for it. The reason we had so many poor shooting games is because the offensive philosophy sucks. It’s not dumbing it down, you’re ignoring the overall problem. Other than two amazing Grant Williams here the offense has never been good since Rick got here. We had two lottery picks, two seniors and overall four returning starters yet the offense continued to suck. We miss shots because we don’t get good looks consistently.
Simple question...

Do you think the majority of our looks from 3 today would be defined as “good looks”?

Reactions: a vol n tears
Then I’ll post the numbers when shot quality does the numbers, but you’re wrong.

I don’t care. I know what I watched. I know who should be shooting what shots. If you saw that and thought Tennessee was getting good looks all game you’re simply in denial.

Next year will be interesting.

Some of the holes this team had will still be there and some of them will be bigger after the draft.

Best case, Fulky comes back and finds his Jr form, James takes a big leap on the offensive end and Chandler looks like a lottery pick at PG.

There are still some decent players past that but none that have shown they are ready to carry the weight required to contribute to a good team.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Next year will be interesting.

Some of the holes this team had will still be there and some of them will be bigger after the draft.

Best case, Fulky comes back and finds his Jr form, James takes a big leap on the offensive end and Chandler looks like a lottery pick at PG.

There are still some decent players past that but none that have shown they are ready to carry the weight required to contribute to a good team.

He doesn’t have that in him

Reactions: 08Vol
James might want to explore his NBA potential this year. The draft is going to get crowded soon with the 1 and done players going away. The NBA will draft on what physical tools they think you have. JJJ is pretty smart on the court, has a workable shot and does a ton of things well. I think his pro prospects are probably higher than Pons as far as actually playing in the league.

Well said BTO. I don't think it's time to fire Barnes either. He inherited a dumpster fire and now we're at a point where we can call an 18-9 NCAA tournament season a huge disappointment. The program has come a long ways under him.

With that being said, I think Barnes finds himself at a crossroads. He absolutely has to modernize his offense and start recruiting good outside shooters. The game is more perimeter oriented now than ever before. It's time for him to catch up.

On top of that, he needs to cut some of the dead weight off the roster and replace it with some quality transfers (and BHH). Next season is going to be a show me something season for Barnes, and it won't be good if we're counting on guys like Gaines, Pember, Anosike, and Uros to play big roles.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Definitely a disappointing ending to the season. Biggest flaws reared their head today. No post presence and inconsistent shooting make it really hard to be good offensively.

If we can get BHH and a grad transfer or two, to add to chandler and mashack, could look like a lot different team next year.

Last edited:
I am going to go ahead and say Barnes needs to completely overhaul the offense. Perfect year to do so to take advantage of our stud PG coming in
A 7 footer - 6' 11" - 6' 10" center would cure a lot of problems both offensively and defense but for some unknow reason that's not Barnes MO.

I am going to go ahead and say Barnes needs to completely overhaul the offense. Perfect year to do so to take advantage of our stud PG coming in
We need a couple of consistent outside shooters who can knock down a three anytime.

Oregon State has that.
Pretty pathetic when the team that was picked to finish last in the PAC 12 had better shooters and post players than the team picked to win the SEC. Barnes has been a failure from A roster management standpoint. This roster needs overhauled or we are going to continue having the same issues next year, which is no bench to turn to. There are about 4 players ( and I use the term “ player” loosely) that need to hit the road because they are dead weight.

Remember when you said that same exact thing against Ole Miss and told me not to worry about the offense?

Let’s stop making excuses for it. The reason we had so many poor shooting games is because the offensive philosophy sucks. It’s not dumbing it down, you’re ignoring the overall problem. Other than two amazing Grant Williams here the offense has never been good since Rick got here. We had two lottery picks, two seniors and overall four returning starters yet the offense continued to suck. We miss shots because we don’t get good looks consistently.
It really does come down to coaching and recruiting, which is part of coaching

I don’t care. I know what I watched. I know who should be shooting what shots. If you saw that and thought Tennessee was getting good looks all game you’re simply in denial.
Lmao, Vescovi/James/Bailey combined for 4/22 from 3, who would you have rather been shooting those shots than those 3, do tell.

On a positive note, have any of you seen what the baseball team is doing to the dawgs right now?😎
GBO!!

Not James or Bailey that’s for sure.
Ahhh, so Pons? Or not him? So just Vescovi is allowed to shoot 3’s according to Z? So take 8 3’s today and that’s it? According to you we needed to be taking 25+, which is it? Bailey’s percentage is almost identical to Vescovi’s on same number of attempts just about fwiw.

VN Store

Back