Must read!!!

Well he's our QB until he isn't though so we might as well support him. Yes he's been terrible but a light can flip on at any moment hopefully. Remember Crompton 09? Chaney was his OC. So let's just pray.
Bro we went 7-6 that year and had Eric Berry. Get a grip.

Reactions: 4chrissy
None of these players on our team are trying to lose games. I think we forget that sometimes. There are a few bad apples, I'm sure, but the vast majority of these guys are giving their all and feel worse than those of us watching from the stands when things don't go well.

Despite our disappointment as fans, all of us are behind our players and our team. High frustration is a function of how much we have invested emotionally in the program -- which pales in comparison with what these players have invested in terms of blood, sweat, and tears. GO VOLS! Even in the hard times.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
What I saw Saturday was a young team who had improved significantly over the course of a week. OL, defense, WRs, RBs...all improving. Sure, there were mistakes made, but with the improvement it was rather obvious our issue was QB play. Is that a personal affront to the QB? I don’t think so. This offense desperately needs a leader at QB and it appears we do not have that.

The Vols are the only team I’ve ever truly cared about and will be a fan til the day I die. Go Vols

Again if this player isnt the best option it is patheric to bitch about him. If the coaches asked you to be a starter would you? Even if the next guy was better?

This is a coaching issue. They are grown ass men who are getting paid large sums to put the right kids out there. Getring paid to game plan correctly. Getting paid to practice plan and execute practicenin a way that allows the players to execute the game plan.

It is silly to blame the players...it is a coaching issue.
It’s on all of them. You win as a team. You lose as a team. I’m sure Ryan, most players and most fans know this.

I distinctly remember the vicious hate for Jonathan Crompton, who turned out to be a pretty good QB his senior year and went on to get drafted. Far too often, our own fans have shamed me and the orange and white I wear much worse than our team has.

Jg ain't gonna get better. Saturday proved he cannot read a defense. Cant use the OL excuses anymore.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and KSVOL
Bro we went 7-6 that year and had Eric Berry. Get a grip.

We're talking about QB play. Crompton turned his play around and wasn't the reason we lost any games from UGA on. Just stating facts. You get a grip.

This young man needs to get a head start on going pro in something besides football. He got whipped BAD all night long Saturday. It is not his fault, he's just not a good football player. Maybe thats sinking in for him now. Let him step to the side and allow a younger, more talented kid to get the reps.

But it's not Ryan Johnson's fault, in fact I'd dare say a lot of us were pleasantly surprised with how well the OL played Saturday night. The one who should be apologizing is JG. He did his teammates a disservice by his crap play.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and KSVOL
Copy and pasted from another group:

Guys, I wanted to share this with you... This morning as my gf and I were leaving Knoxville I stopped at a gas station to get some drinks for the trip home. As I came out I seen a man pumping gas in his truck and this truck had a big Tennessee helmet magnet on it that said my player is #70. I thought unless this dudes wife has a huge crush on this #70, this must be a parent of the player #70. So I walk up near the pumps and say, “Sir, does your son play for the Vols?” He said, “Yes he does.” I said, “well you tell him to keep his head up.” He said, “You tell him.” So this man proceeds to turn around and talk into the truck and tell this #70 that a fan out here wants to talk to him and to get out of the truck. Well.... Ryan Johnson (OL) gets out of the truck and we meet each other along with my gf around the front of the truck. Guys.... as I tell you this story, my heart is heavy as much as it was then... Ryan looking depressed af, looks at me and says, “I’m sorry” also apologizing to my gf as she had just told him it was her first game and he tilts his head down slightly. This absolutely crushed me as a fan of The University of Tennessee Athletics. So, I put my hand out for a handshake and he immediately shook my hand. Then I said, “Hey, you owe NOBODY an apology, you keep your head up. Your blood, sweat and tears are appreciated by me. You do your best and that’s all we as fans can ask for. You hit those books and grab that degree and let the rest take care of itself. You’re young, this is gonna fly by... it only lasts a few years. All you can do is all you can do. Keep your head up Ryan.” He shook his head and said, Thank you, I really appreciate that.” And I walked away and he got back in the truck. His dad thanked us as we got back in my car.
To you people on here and fans out there, we are often too hard on these players. Remember where your mind was from 18-22? Don’t criminalize these young men for what they do on the field. They also have heavy hearts... they are practicing their asses off daily for hours and giving us their time on Saturday’s. They are committed to something valuable to help them grow as men that more than half of us weren’t doing at that age. Some athletes just don’t have it and some do.... they are wearing orange on that field. Carry yourselves with pride and humble yourselves. Stop lashing out and making fun of our record, ticket prices, losses, players, etc. What happens on that field doesn’t effect our lives or atleast shouldn’t... if it does then you need to do some self evaluating. It DOES effect these young athletes lives... everything we say about them or their team in general effects them, as well as dedicating themselves to sports. Chill out guys.... try to be more supportive.

PIN this freak. I love VolNation, but if there is one thing I could change about the culture, it would be casting aside the negativity (even when it's warranted). Don't trip over what's behind you.

Thanks for posting.

After the team quit against Georgia St. all I wanted to see was some heart and effort. Well the kids played with both and the difference was nice to see.
That being said Tennessee’s qb play is terrible at the least. Nothing against the starting qb, I’m sure he’s a great kid. Just not an SEC caliber qb. That’s not shredding him or beating up on him it’s just a fact. When the announcers are constantly stating that he is missing wide open wide receivers, throws are late, throwing into coverage, etc that’s a problem.
Could I or any of the rest of us on here start for UT? No, but we’re not in that situation so it is what it is.
It was obvious that Chaney could not call any passing plays down the stretch because of the qb play.
I saw improved play all over the field until the blown coverage at the end.
This loss is not on the coaches except for not using a different qb. They didn’t throw one late ball, throw into triple coverage, miss a wide open td pass by 10 yards or blow one coverage.

Look, I'm sure that JG is a fine young man; I'm sure he's nice to children, and represents his family and his university with pride and with class. That said, he doesn't seem to be a very good option for starting quarterback. That's not trashing him, that's just being honest. Hopefully the coaches have seen this and agree.

Copy and pasted from another group:

Guys, I wanted to share this with you... This morning as my gf and I were leaving Knoxville I stopped at a gas station to get some drinks for the trip home. As I came out I seen a man pumping gas in his truck and this truck had a big Tennessee helmet magnet on it that said my player is #70. I thought unless this dudes wife has a huge crush on this #70, this must be a parent of the player #70. So I walk up near the pumps and say, “Sir, does your son play for the Vols?” He said, “Yes he does.” I said, “well you tell him to keep his head up.” He said, “You tell him.” So this man proceeds to turn around and talk into the truck and tell this #70 that a fan out here wants to talk to him and to get out of the truck. Well.... Ryan Johnson (OL) gets out of the truck and we meet each other along with my gf around the front of the truck. Guys.... as I tell you this story, my heart is heavy as much as it was then... Ryan looking depressed af, looks at me and says, “I’m sorry” also apologizing to my gf as she had just told him it was her first game and he tilts his head down slightly. This absolutely crushed me as a fan of The University of Tennessee Athletics. So, I put my hand out for a handshake and he immediately shook my hand. Then I said, “Hey, you owe NOBODY an apology, you keep your head up. Your blood, sweat and tears are appreciated by me. You do your best and that’s all we as fans can ask for. You hit those books and grab that degree and let the rest take care of itself. You’re young, this is gonna fly by... it only lasts a few years. All you can do is all you can do. Keep your head up Ryan.” He shook his head and said, Thank you, I really appreciate that.” And I walked away and he got back in the truck. His dad thanked us as we got back in my car.
To you people on here and fans out there, we are often too hard on these players. Remember where your mind was from 18-22? Don’t criminalize these young men for what they do on the field. They also have heavy hearts... they are practicing their asses off daily for hours and giving us their time on Saturday’s. They are committed to something valuable to help them grow as men that more than half of us weren’t doing at that age. Some athletes just don’t have it and some do.... they are wearing orange on that field. Carry yourselves with pride and humble yourselves. Stop lashing out and making fun of our record, ticket prices, losses, players, etc. What happens on that field doesn’t effect our lives or atleast shouldn’t... if it does then you need to do some self evaluating. It DOES effect these young athletes lives... everything we say about them or their team in general effects them, as well as dedicating themselves to sports. Chill out guys.... try to be more supportive.

This should be shouted from the rooftops of VolNation. Thank you

He made decent points and deserves a kudos in my opinion. It's easy to jump and tear them down when they lose to a bunch of mormons or pay a million dollars to a program that should have got steamrolled week one. (We're still paying millions to coaches that steamrolled us) However, these guys want to win more than you want them to win... believe it or not. Decommit from your fandom, make online threats, tear them down in a high and mighty fb post, etc.(select few), but at the end of the day.. they need your support. Go ahead and rip this post apart or whatever, but it won't change my mind. Let's be more like Eric.. Go Vols.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
I’ve felt the players have gotten the short end of the stick way more than the fans during this dark stretch in UT history. When a team gives up, it means the coaches failed them. No kid at this or any competitive level wants to feel like a loser.

When they lose hope, the coaches have lost the team. Yes, the players have to respond but watching Pruitt rip into JG after the interception reminded me of beating a puppy for peeing on the carpet only to scare him so badly that he starts pissing again.

Before some d-bag says ‘JG just needs to grow a pair.....etc’ it takes a much bigger man to patiently explain the mistake and sincerely say I believe you’ll do better next time and I know you are trying.’ How would JG’s 2nd half have looked if pruitt responded that way versus screaming at him??

I’ve felt the players have gotten the short end of the stick way more than the fans during this dark stretch in UT history. When a team gives up, it means the coaches failed them. No kid at this or any competitive level wants to feel like a loser.

When they lose hope, the coaches have lost the team. Yes, the players have to respond but watching Pruitt rip into JG after the interception reminded me of beating a puppy for peeing on the carpet only to scare him so badly that he starts pissing again.

Before some d-bag says ‘JG just needs to grow a pair.....etc’ it takes a much bigger man to patiently explain the mistake and sincerely say I believe you’ll do better next time and I know you are trying.’ How would JG’s 2nd half have looked if pruitt responded that way versus screaming at him??

Btw, I do think Pruitt needs to open up the QB position this week on practice and readily admit JG had a horrible 2nd half but think his lack of development is on the coaches. They either figure out how to coach him up or replace him.

JFC.

Coddle JG more and he would’ve played a better 2nd half.

The world has gone Charmin soft.

VN Store

Back