Must read!!!

Ksloan57

Copy and pasted from another group:

Guys, I wanted to share this with you... This morning as my gf and I were leaving Knoxville I stopped at a gas station to get some drinks for the trip home. As I came out I seen a man pumping gas in his truck and this truck had a big Tennessee helmet magnet on it that said my player is #70. I thought unless this dudes wife has a huge crush on this #70, this must be a parent of the player #70. So I walk up near the pumps and say, “Sir, does your son play for the Vols?” He said, “Yes he does.” I said, “well you tell him to keep his head up.” He said, “You tell him.” So this man proceeds to turn around and talk into the truck and tell this #70 that a fan out here wants to talk to him and to get out of the truck. Well.... Ryan Johnson (OL) gets out of the truck and we meet each other along with my gf around the front of the truck. Guys.... as I tell you this story, my heart is heavy as much as it was then... Ryan looking depressed af, looks at me and says, “I’m sorry” also apologizing to my gf as she had just told him it was her first game and he tilts his head down slightly. This absolutely crushed me as a fan of The University of Tennessee Athletics. So, I put my hand out for a handshake and he immediately shook my hand. Then I said, “Hey, you owe NOBODY an apology, you keep your head up. Your blood, sweat and tears are appreciated by me. You do your best and that’s all we as fans can ask for. You hit those books and grab that degree and let the rest take care of itself. You’re young, this is gonna fly by... it only lasts a few years. All you can do is all you can do. Keep your head up Ryan.” He shook his head and said, Thank you, I really appreciate that.” And I walked away and he got back in the truck. His dad thanked us as we got back in my car.
To you people on here and fans out there, we are often too hard on these players. Remember where your mind was from 18-22? Don’t criminalize these young men for what they do on the field. They also have heavy hearts... they are practicing their asses off daily for hours and giving us their time on Saturday’s. They are committed to something valuable to help them grow as men that more than half of us weren’t doing at that age. Some athletes just don’t have it and some do.... they are wearing orange on that field. Carry yourselves with pride and humble yourselves. Stop lashing out and making fun of our record, ticket prices, losses, players, etc. What happens on that field doesn’t effect our lives or atleast shouldn’t... if it does then you need to do some self evaluating. It DOES effect these young athletes lives... everything we say about them or their team in general effects them, as well as dedicating themselves to sports. Chill out guys.... try to be more supportive.

Guys, I wanted to share this with you... This morning as my gf and I were leaving Knoxville I stopped at a gas station to get some drinks for the trip home. As I came out I seen a man pumping gas in his truck and this truck had a big Tennessee helmet magnet on it that said my player is #70. I thought unless this dudes wife has a huge crush on this #70, this must be a parent of the player #70. So I walk up near the pumps and say, “Sir, does your son play for the Vols?” He said, “Yes he does.” I said, “well you tell him to keep his head up.” He said, “You tell him.” So this man proceeds to turn around and talk into the truck and tell this #70 that a fan out here wants to talk to him and to get out of the truck. Well.... Ryan Johnson (OL) gets out of the truck and we meet each other along with my gf around the front of the truck. Guys.... as I tell you this story, my heart is heavy as much as it was then... Ryan looking depressed af, looks at me and says, “I’m sorry” also apologizing to my gf as she had just told him it was her first game and he tilts his head down slightly. This absolutely crushed me as a fan of The University of Tennessee Athletics. So, I put my hand out for a handshake and he immediately shook my hand. Then I said, “Hey, you owe NOBODY an apology, you keep your head up. Your blood, sweat and tears are appreciated by me. You do your best and that’s all we as fans can ask for. You hit those books and grab that degree and let the rest take care of itself. You’re young, this is gonna fly by... it only lasts a few years. All you can do is all you can do. Keep your head up Ryan.” He shook his head and said, Thank you, I really appreciate that.” And I walked away and he got back in the truck. His dad thanked us as we got back in my car.
To you people on here and fans out there, we are often too hard on these players. Remember where your mind was from 18-22? Don’t criminalize these young men for what they do on the field. They also have heavy hearts... they are practicing their asses off daily for hours and giving us their time on Saturday’s. They are committed to something valuable to help them grow as men that more than half of us weren’t doing at that age. Some athletes just don’t have it and some do.... they are wearing orange on that field. Carry yourselves with pride and humble yourselves. Stop lashing out and making fun of our record, ticket prices, losses, players, etc. What happens on that field doesn’t effect our lives or atleast shouldn’t... if it does then you need to do some self evaluating. It DOES effect these young athletes lives... everything we say about them or their team in general effects them, as well as dedicating themselves to sports. Chill out guys.... try to be more supportive.
Thanks for sharing this - my heat hurts for him.

Those who blame the players are silly.

Speaking negatively about a player (who is competing the right way) is distasteful.

Acknowledging that a player may not be the best option for his position is completely fair.
Again if this player isnt the best option it is patheric to bitch about him. If the coaches asked you to be a starter would you? Even if the next guy was better?

This is a coaching issue. They are grown ass men who are getting paid large sums to put the right kids out there. Getring paid to game plan correctly. Getting paid to practice plan and execute practicenin a way that allows the players to execute the game plan.

It is silly to blame the players...it is a coaching issue.

Again if this player isnt the best option it is patheric to bitch about him. If the coaches asked you to be a starter would you? Even if the next guy was better?

This is a coaching issue. They are grown ass men who are getting paid large sums to put the right kids out there. Getring paid to game plan correctly. Getting paid to practice plan and execute practicenin a way that allows the players to execute the game plan.

Suggesting that a player is not the best option at a given position is pathetic??? Right.

It's not as if the players are mistreated. It's not as if they're being kicked off campus. He'll just be asked to support his teammates in a different capacity.

And I don't think anyone has suggested that any player voluntarily give up his starting spot. The coaches make that call - and I agree with you in blaming the coaches for not starting a different quarterback.

All you Jarrett Guarantano haters read this two or three times.
why these kids are fighting for their lives to protect him and when a WR is open for a td and he throws a 3 yard hitch on 3rd and 9...no sir I will not read this more then once!!
why i say fighting for their lives..its the nfl..a bad Qb puts all OL prospects in a bad light

All you Jarrett Guarantano haters read this two or three times.

I distinctly remember the vicious hate for Jonathan Crompton, who turned out to be a pretty good QB his senior year and went on to get drafted. Far too often, our own fans have shamed me and the orange and white I wear much worse than our team has.

I distinctly remember the vicious hate for Jonathan Crompton, who turned out to be a pretty good QB his senior year and went on to get drafted. Far too often, our own fans have shamed me and the orange and white I wear much worse than our team has.
It took JC 3 years and 3 games to get it! Guys like the BYU kid who was in the hospital in the spring bring it early. I will always remember my trip to UCLA in 2008.

I hate we are in this mess for another year, but lets be honest that this QB problem, yes that is our problem, goes back to last year and beyond. Your QB is like the pitcher in LL baseball. No pitching and no matter how good the other 8 kids are the team is toast. I appreciate all the players, but the coaches need to be fair to the other kids and give them a chance to win. Remember when Dobbs rode the pine because Butch said he didn’t do well in practice? Remember last year when Chryst wasn’t on his back behind the same O-Line?

Just venting and will always Bleed Orange.

That was a great story and I feel for the kid. I'm sure most of us were althletes; some of us were military. There is nothing worse than losing; especially losing when you are expected to win. It hurts. You get rid of the hurt by working harder, getting better, and winning. If you play at a high level such as a place like UT then more is expected. That's just life 101.

Neat story, he sounds like a great young man with great parents, thanks for sharing. Unfortunately for Florida players, many UF fans make them feel like they have to apologize even after wins.

It took JC 3 years and 3 games to get it!

It took 3 years and 1 coaching change for someone to "get" that Crompton was 500% better rolling out of the pocket, is more like it. Though I get what you mean -- no pun intended.

OP, thanks for talking to Ryan Johnson and his parents. Your story was awesome. We often forget about the people behind the jerseys. These young men are working hard and want to win. They may not be the best at their positions in the SEC, but they are trying. I am sure Ryan appreciated hearing some nice words from fans.

I was impressed with Chandler, Kennedy, Tatum and Bumphus during the postgame press conference. You can tell these guys are desperate for a win and they do appreciate the support from the fans.

I am still pissed that we are 0-2 and I will make comments about good and bad plays. However, I am going to (try to) refrain from any personal attacks. I will continue to support our school and our athletes.

Are you suggesting the coaches are telling the best players to ride the pine and playing worse players coz they don’t want to win?

The way in which fans scapegoat players and coaches is the #1 temptation to walk away from sports fandom altogther. It honestly poisons my pride as a fan of the Vols. Crap, we literally had/have fans on here who trashed our darn Basketball coach and many of the players this season. And it was arguably the best team in the history of the school.

BTW, I saw Ryan and about 30 Vols in the ATL airport this February. Not sure if it was one of the teams or a collection of players from several mens / womens teams. They all had on Vol gear along with several coaches it appeared. I yelled out Rocky Top loud enough to hear at 3 gates and they all responded.

Grew up about 1/2 mile from Ryan's dad and uncle and knew them a little growing up. They were like 1&2 years younger than me. Good family. His dad played at Hixson High & then Austin-Peay iirc.

Last edited:
The way in which fans scapegoat players and coaches is the #1 temptation to walk away from sports fandom altogther. It honestly poisons my pride as a fan of the Vols. Crap, we literally had/have fans on here who trashed our darn Basketball coach and many of the players this season. And it was arguably the best team in the history of the school.

BTW, I saw Ryan and about 30 Vols in the ATL airport this February. Not sure if it was one of the teams or a collection of players from several mens / womens teams. They all had on Vol gear along with several coaches it appeared. I yelled out Rocky Top loud enough to hear at 3 gates and they all responded.

Grew up about 1/2 mile from Ryan's dad and uncle and knew them a little growing up. They were like 1&2 years younger than me. Good family. His dad played at Hixson High & then Austin-Peay iirc.
JG sucks

VN Store

Back