Must read!!!

JFC.

Coddle JG more and he would’ve played a better 2nd half.

The world has gone Charmin soft.

Well, how’s the tough guy approach working thus far? So did Pruitt not yell loud enough? Maybe that’s the problem.

Well, how’s the tough guy approach working thus far? So did Pruitt not yell loud enough? Maybe that’s the problem.

They looked a tad bit more ready to play against BYU, with Pruitt in faces, and chest bumping folks, no?

I see the best coaches in the game, and they are a far cry from “cuddle buddy@ coaches.

At the end of the day you either need to make this personal, coddling each player, making peace with a 2-10 record or decide if you want the best player in the game. Saying a kid is not cutting it on the field is not insulting their character, it is just a fact. The Army does not let you pin on a Ranger tab just for trying. These kids are not cutting it and need to be replaced with those who can.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and KSVOL
Copy and pasted from another group:

Guys, I wanted to share this with you... This morning as my gf and I were leaving Knoxville I stopped at a gas station to get some drinks for the trip home. As I came out I seen a man pumping gas in his truck and this truck had a big Tennessee helmet magnet on it that said my player is #70. I thought unless this dudes wife has a huge crush on this #70, this must be a parent of the player #70. So I walk up near the pumps and say, “Sir, does your son play for the Vols?” He said, “Yes he does.” I said, “well you tell him to keep his head up.” He said, “You tell him.” So this man proceeds to turn around and talk into the truck and tell this #70 that a fan out here wants to talk to him and to get out of the truck. Well.... Ryan Johnson (OL) gets out of the truck and we meet each other along with my gf around the front of the truck. Guys.... as I tell you this story, my heart is heavy as much as it was then... Ryan looking depressed af, looks at me and says, “I’m sorry” also apologizing to my gf as she had just told him it was her first game and he tilts his head down slightly. This absolutely crushed me as a fan of The University of Tennessee Athletics. So, I put my hand out for a handshake and he immediately shook my hand. Then I said, “Hey, you owe NOBODY an apology, you keep your head up. Your blood, sweat and tears are appreciated by me. You do your best and that’s all we as fans can ask for. You hit those books and grab that degree and let the rest take care of itself. You’re young, this is gonna fly by... it only lasts a few years. All you can do is all you can do. Keep your head up Ryan.” He shook his head and said, Thank you, I really appreciate that.” And I walked away and he got back in the truck. His dad thanked us as we got back in my car.
To you people on here and fans out there, we are often too hard on these players. Remember where your mind was from 18-22? Don’t criminalize these young men for what they do on the field. They also have heavy hearts... they are practicing their asses off daily for hours and giving us their time on Saturday’s. They are committed to something valuable to help them grow as men that more than half of us weren’t doing at that age. Some athletes just don’t have it and some do.... they are wearing orange on that field. Carry yourselves with pride and humble yourselves. Stop lashing out and making fun of our record, ticket prices, losses, players, etc. What happens on that field doesn’t effect our lives or atleast shouldn’t... if it does then you need to do some self evaluating. It DOES effect these young athletes lives... everything we say about them or their team in general effects them, as well as dedicating themselves to sports. Chill out guys.... try to be more supportive.
Who talks like this? My guess is he met RJ, his gf asked for a pic, and that is about it. This sounds like some ending to an 80's movie where everyone around starting clapping.....

Guys.... as I tell you this story, my heart is heavy as much as it was then... Ryan looking depressed af, looks at me and says, “I’m sorry” also apologizing to my gf as she had just told him it was her first game and he tilts his head down slightly. This absolutely crushed me as a fan of The University of Tennessee Athletics. So, I put my hand out for a handshake and he immediately shook my hand. Then I said, “Hey, you owe NOBODY an apology, you keep your head up. Your blood, sweat and tears are appreciated by me. You do your best and that’s all we as fans can ask for. You hit those books and grab that degree and let the rest take care of itself. You’re young, this is gonna fly by... it only lasts a few years. All you can do is all you can do. Keep your head up Ryan.”

Reactions: Fanforlife21

Guys, I wanted to share this with you... This morning as my gf and I were leaving Knoxville I stopped at a gas station to get some drinks for the trip home. As I came out I seen a man pumping gas in his truck and this truck had a big Tennessee helmet magnet on it that said my player is #70. I thought unless this dudes wife has a huge crush on this #70, this must be a parent of the player #70. So I walk up near the pumps and say, “Sir, does your son play for the Vols?” He said, “Yes he does.” I said, “well you tell him to keep his head up.” He said, “You tell him.” So this man proceeds to turn around and talk into the truck and tell this #70 that a fan out here wants to talk to him and to get out of the truck. Well.... Ryan Johnson (OL) gets out of the truck and we meet each other along with my gf around the front of the truck. Guys.... as I tell you this story, my heart is heavy as much as it was then... Ryan looking depressed af, looks at me and says, “I’m sorry” also apologizing to my gf as she had just told him it was her first game and he tilts his head down slightly. This absolutely crushed me as a fan of The University of Tennessee Athletics. So, I put my hand out for a handshake and he immediately shook my hand. Then I said, “Hey, you owe NOBODY an apology, you keep your head up. Your blood, sweat and tears are appreciated by me. You do your best and that’s all we as fans can ask for. You hit those books and grab that degree and let the rest take care of itself. You’re young, this is gonna fly by... it only lasts a few years. All you can do is all you can do. Keep your head up Ryan.” He shook his head and said, Thank you, I really appreciate that.” And I walked away and he got back in the truck. His dad thanked us as we got back in my car.
To you people on here and fans out there, we are often too hard on these players. Remember where your mind was from 18-22? Don’t criminalize these young men for what they do on the field. They also have heavy hearts... they are practicing their asses off daily for hours and giving us their time on Saturday’s. They are committed to something valuable to help them grow as men that more than half of us weren’t doing at that age. Some athletes just don’t have it and some do.... they are wearing orange on that field. Carry yourselves with pride and humble yourselves. Stop lashing out and making fun of our record, ticket prices, losses, players, etc. What happens on that field doesn’t effect our lives or atleast shouldn’t... if it does then you need to do some self evaluating. It DOES effect these young athletes lives... everything we say about them or their team in general effects them, as well as dedicating themselves to sports. Chill out guys.... try to be more supportive.

Moving. I am not mad at the players. I am not mad at anyone really. There are definitely some emotionally immature people on here, but Pruitt needs to give our backups some PT against Chattanooga.

Reactions: cgrish
thanks for sharing 57...brings things into a better perspective...and,

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT UTC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I agree with you 100%. At the end of the day it is only a game. These are young men who are trying their best for UT. I know my wife and I will continue to support UT.

I distinctly remember the vicious hate for Jonathan Crompton, who turned out to be a pretty good QB his senior year and went on to get drafted. Far too often, our own fans have shamed me and the orange and white I wear much worse than our team has.
In a different offensive system and Kiffin recognized that in high school he threw well on the run. They started rolling him out and he became more effective.

All you Jarrett Guarantano haters read this two or three times.

First of all--I don't HATE ANY of the players.

But I didn't see anything special about that bio....

There are literally THOUSANDS of students in the University of Tennessee system throughout the state who do NOT HAVE all of the support and financial aid these athletes get from the University.
Thousands of those students go to school and work 20-30 hrs/week as they try to earn and build a better life for themselves.

These athletes are treated to EVERY ADVANTAGE possible while they play for the University.
It's not hate, nor is it unkind to point out their lack of performance on game day.

I have no doubt that JG works hard, studies hard, and is a good kid.

However, it is no crime to point out that JG has not performed to the level of an average SEC QB in the first 2 games.
In fairness to JG----even though his poor QB decisions and inability to get the ball to his WRs in time to earn TDs cost us dearly--he played barely good enough to get the W.

There were many variables in that game, but in the end---Alontae Taylor cost us that W.
That's a heavy burden to lay on one guy, but he's held to a higher standard.
And there's just NO EXCUSE for him looking into the backfield while allowing the BYU WR to run past him when all Taylor needed to do was give him a 10 yd cushion in order to keep everything in front of him.

And if these players, good kids as they are, cannot accept the blame for when they fail to perform the basic fundamentals of their position--then they need to hang up their cleats and go home.
Performance standards are present in EVERY occupation on the planet. FAIL to live up to the basic fundamentals and you will find yourself unemployed.

The same goes for #70. His play during the game was sub-par, and his man blew him up most of the night--and cost us a few first downs to be sure.

And--if you think the COACHES aren't pointing these things out to these players as they watch the film in less than gentle terms--then I guess you've NEVER played the game.

I appreciate what you’re saying but would we be called fans if we weren’t acting fanatical?

Also they should feel bad, we pay hard earned money to watch an embarrassment the last two weeks.... wait decade

Taylor blew his coverage and let BYU back into the game to tie it. Does he suck to by your standards?
Has he played poorly every snap of every game excepting KY and AU in the last two years? Did he single handedly lose the game Saturday night? I don't think so.

OP, thank you for this excellent post! It deserves nothing but appreciation!!!

Jumping into the JG argument. The Georgia State loss wasn't his fault, IMO. Our defense allowed Georgia State to move up and down the field on us, even as we took a 23-20 lead in the 4th, Georgia State got the ball and went 80 yards for a TD. That isn't JG!

Now the BYU game is on him. He played terrible that game and cost us the game. The defense played well against BYU other than a botched play at the end of the game.

VN Store

Back