Multiple Players Test Positive

You do know that they are required to play ball...... well at least if they want their scholarship.
Just like I'm required to work if I want money. We each provide a service for compensation. If either of us feels it is not in our best interest we can leave.

Everyone with a double digit IQ knows covid is out there and interaction with other folks is how it spreads. That is a reasonable statement. Therefore, it is reasonable to not be surprised when people who interact test positive. Now, if UT were telling players there is zero possibility of their contracting it, they have liability. If UT were throwing covid parties or somehow trying to get them sick, they would have liability. If they were talking no action to mitigate risk, they might have some liability. Certainly people could file suit, but it does not pass the reasonable man test.

Oh look...death rate is still continuing to drop. States are reporting false numbers. CDC and Fauci keep going back and forth. All fake news. Time to move on folks. You don’t see Europe freaking out any more. They are smarter than I previously thought.

European countries have better leadership than what we have in United States that also include other places around the world. United States is a **** show.

Last edited:
I cannot see the point anymore.

If there are around 50 to 60 thousand a day testinf positive then there are still tens of thousands to go that have it already that dont know it, and what are they doing? Spreading it.

There's no way we could possibly stop the spread at this point. I doubt people will comply to another lockdown.

Time to do what Sweden has done, which we basically have been doing, and just worry about the vulnerable.

Why do people act like not playing football is saving people from the virus? The players are already getting it on their own outside of the team. If they don't play in the fall its not going to save any of them from getting it then, if its as bad as it is now. It seems to me that its passing through everybody right now.

Sweden now says that their approach was wrong and they should have done something different.

Last edited:
Just like I'm required to work if I want money. We each provide a service for compensation. If either of us feels it is not in our best interest we can leave.

Everyone with a double digit IQ knows covid is out there and interaction with other folks is how it spreads. That is a reasonable statement. Therefore, it is reasonable to not be surprised when people who interact test positive. Now, if UT were telling players there is zero possibility of their contracting it, they have liability. If UT were throwing covid parties or somehow trying to get them sick, they would have liability. If they were talking no action to mitigate risk, they might have some liability. Certainly people could file suit, but it does not pass the reasonable man test.
There are a couple of attorneys posting here recently that disagree with you. Have you read all the posts today in this thread.

You do know that they are required to play ball...... well at least if they want their scholarship.
Geez guy, you act like these young men are property owned by UT. Get a grip on reality. They are 18-22 year old guys who have lives and their health to care for going forward. I want football as much as anyone but the school isn’t going to make anyone play if they are seriously concerned there is a high chance the players will be exposed to a potentially life-altering virus.

Reactions: VOLinPD
Well something has got to give. If the deaths stay low then that will help. The gap between cases and death continues to part like the red sea and there may be a light at the end. Who will be our moses???

Deaths are hitting all time highs in AZ, CA, FL, & TX. These are the 4 states that have been dealing with weeks of all time highs for positive cases followed by all time highs for hospitalizations. Other states are looking at those 4 and and asking how can we avoid that happening in our state.

The best course of action is to take precautions before things get out of control.

I will make an educated guess and say that D1 athletes are strongly encouraged to get the flu shot. The flu shot is all about being accessible and the person's willingness to take time to get it. I just read a study where the Iowa football team had low rates of getting the flu shot, the administration of the shot was moved from across campus to the training facility, and the spray was added as a way to administer it. The rate of vaccinations went up from 12% to 83% in 2 years.

The flu shot is 40-60% effective, and much of the remaining % mitigates the outcome. States are only required to report pediatric flu deaths, and 80% are from unvaccinated children. They do not have to report adult flu deaths, which means we don't know how many were unvaccinated. But even if you guess that 50% are unvaccinated (I would guess likely more), that's why the flu numbers are a bit skewed.

People have the individual choice to get a vaccine, but the point is that there is a tool available to prevent most deaths, and those numbers simply aren't reported to determine how many.

It is a now a requirement at UT to enroll for fall Qtr to have proof of Flu Vaccine, so our players will have it. Also, announced when Covid Vaccine is available it will also then be required.
Betting most universities will also.

Reactions: VolGee4
You would think?? But it doesn't fit the Narrative or agenda. " An investigation into state-issued daily COVID-19 testing shows errors in Florida's positivity rates." Some Labs were reporting 100% Positives; when the actual positives were 6%! This was happening in 24 labs in Florida! TWENTY FOUR Labs; they were Not even counting the negative results.

Here is the report from FL so you can check it yourself. They had over 1,100 labs reporting data. 24 labs reporting incorrectly is a statistical bump, nothing else.

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/state_reports_latest.pdf

Reactions: ohhbother
Agreed, but my point is as this continues to spread within football programs, the less likely it is that we will have a season.
What needs to be noted is that UT unlike most programs tested their players which means they were able to stop it before it became an issue and kept more players out of workouts.

Reactions: kcvols1

I am glad you are not the general counsel for UT, because you are absolutely misguided. If when the players were called back in for workouts and some chose not to come, there is no guarantee that their scholarship would be granted. So there is a forced element to this. If for instance UT does not follow the CDC requirements to every degree and a football player can prove that, there is clear liability. Its called causation. That is exactly why some schools and universities are going to online classes, to diminish the liability. It is really not that hard to see.

IMO the kids are safer playing football then they are if they aren’t regarding the virus. The University is spending 10s of thousands of dollars on testing every month to make sure their players are good. I say let them play it’s the safest they will be.

Reactions: rockytop989
IMO the kids are safer playing football then they are if they aren’t regarding the virus. The University is spending 10s of thousands of dollars on testing every month to make sure their players are good. I say let them play it’s the safest they will be.
So testing for the virus makes sure that you don't get it .... Didn't realize it was that easy. I'm good to go.

Good luck to all the players in their recovery from the corona virus.

A former White House adviser said today that wearing a mask is a personal choice.

Reactions: rockytop989
Deaths are hitting all time highs in AZ, CA, FL, & TX. These are the 4 states that have been dealing with weeks of all time highs for positive cases followed by all time highs for hospitalizations. Other states are looking at those 4 and and asking how can we avoid that happening in our state.

The best course of action is to take precautions before things get out of control.
Doesn't look like controlling it is even possible at this point.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

Also California never really opened up, so that tells me that doesnt really help. People have spread the thing everywhere. Young people especially have. Quarantine the elderly and be careful. Best we can do. We lock every thing down again it will just spread like wildfire again. Things also change like crazy on a weekly basis. Between now and the beginning of football season is like 15 coronavirus lifetimes.

Urban Meyer was just on Fox news and said he thinks will be football this year. Said he was more optimistic today than he was last week.

Well, I didn’t realize I would have to break it down for you. A smarter individual could probably decipher that a place where they are constantly testing people is safer then somewhere the individuals are not constantly being tested and monitored..... but you know I have that “small rock” IQ..... makes it really hard to put 2 and 2 together...... I mean that is 5 right?

Dang your ignorant. That does not mean that someone can contract the virus through participation in football. I mean, clearly they already did that was the purpose of this thread. So they are not safer by playing football, there are obvious risks. That is why the Ivy League canceled there season, that is why there are limitations on games and practices, that is why the SEC Commissioner has said he is concerned about not having a season. I mean what part of this are you not getting. A college athletic department cannot bubble like the NBA and MLS. It can't be done. So it by the very nature cannot be safer than social distancing and taking online classes, to suggest otherwise is just monumentally ignorant. But hey don't let stupidity get in your way, you've been doing it your whole life, so keep it up the good work.

VN Store

Back