Multiple Players Test Positive

The Sweden experiment has failed, immunity doesn't last long enough to prevent spread. They have a higher death rate per capita than we do, the same here would mean 3 million plus dead

Sweden's death rate per capita is not hugely different from ours. Theirs is 0.055% of the population dead to covid-19, ours is 0.042%. If we had their per capita death rate to covid, we'd be at 180,000 or so dead, not 3 million.

Here are the numbers:

US: population 328M ... cases 3.5M ... deaths 138k == 1.07% of population has been infected, and 0.042% of population has died to the disease.

Sweden: population 10.2M ... cases 77k ... deaths 5.6k == 0.75% of population has been infected, and 0.055% of population has died to the disease.

They're smaller than us, and somewhat lower % of them have been infected (but not hugely different), and somewhat more of them have died on a per capita basis (but not hugely different).

I would not call that a significant indicator either way of one approach being better than another.

<<< Just helping keep us to the facts, not taking a side -- I honestly don't even understand what the "sides" are in this particular part of the conversation, heh >>>

I dont disagree with you. The comparisons many make are as if some finish line has been reached.

For some that might be true, but not all.
very true for those who have reached the finish line or close to it, their deaths per million will stabilize , while the others per million will continue to get worse. It is the age old question of do you take your casualties in a one day battle of all out or a protracted three day battle of exercising more caution.

Reactions: allvol123

The sooner the better for all these players in my opinion. At the age of these players, all in phenomenal shape, this is a 6-day nuisance cold. In some bad cases it may be more like a 10-day flu.

Regardless, college football players have a greater chance of dying from heat exhaustion in practice than COVID. The notion that we have to cancel football because of this continues to be an absurd notion. But here we are.

Trey Smith should quit and get ready for NFL there will be no vaccine until 2021. Then they are not 100% effective so maybe he should just give it up altogether. Any one that has a health issue should not play this year whether it be high blood or diabetes Etc...
Based on this outlook we should all just give up....no herd immunity, no effective vaccine, so no economy.....

The sooner the better for all these players in my opinion. At the age of these players, all in phenomenal shape, this is a 6-day nuisance cold. In some bad cases it may be more like a 10-day flu.

Regardless, college football players have a greater chance of dying from heat exhaustion in practice than COVID. The notion that we have to cancel football because of this continues to be an absurd notion. But here we are.

Mammon.jpg

For all you “it’s about the safety of the players” hypocrites, spare us.

30 players have died of heat exhaustion in college football practices since 2000. We’ve seen players paralyzed on the field. We’ve seen untold concussions, snapped bones popping through legs and arms, shredded ligaments, etc. You know what is far more dangerous to college football players than COVID? Wait for it....... PLAYING FOOTBALL!

So for the COVID fusspots out there, you didn’t want to shut down football after any of the 30 heat stroke practice deaths, you didn’t want to shut down after a number of players breaking their necks, you didn’t want to shut down after untold concussions, you didn’t want to shut down after Marcus Lattimore or Tryone Prothro suffered injuries so horrendous it made people sick to their stomachs, oh but now.... now you do... because of a virus that’s tantamount to a mild cold for these players.

If you weren’t leading on shutting down football when Devon Gales of Southern University, was paralyzed on the field in Athens in 2015, nobody wants to hear your politicking now.

Let’s play football, our country needs it.

Sweden's death rate per capita is not hugely different from ours. Theirs is 0.055% of the population dead to covid-19, ours is 0.042%. If we had their per capita death rate to covid, we'd be at 180,000 or so dead, not 3 million.

Here are the numbers:

US: population 328M ... cases 3.5M ... deaths 138k == 1.07% of population has been infected, and 0.042% of population has died to the disease.

Sweden: population 10.2M ... cases 77k ... deaths 5.6k == 0.75% of population has been infected, and 0.055% of population has died to the disease.

They're smaller than us, and somewhat lower % of them have been infected (but not hugely different), and somewhat more of them have died on a per capita basis (but not hugely different).

I would not call that a significant indicator either way of one approach being better than another.

<<< Just helping keep us to the facts, not taking a side -- I honestly don't even understand what the "sides" are in this particular part of the conversation, heh >>>

And this does not take into account the deaths from suicide from losing jobs, over doses, etc. Also their deaths have nearly stopped.

Why Sweden Succeeded in “Flattening the Curve” and New York Failed | Jon Miltimore

Coronavirus deaths have slowed to a crawl in Sweden. With the exception of a single death on July 13, no deaths in this nation of 10 million have been reported since July 10.

Reactions: Kdbnab1
For all you “it’s about the safety of the players” hypocrites, spare us.

30 players have died of heat exhaustion in college football practices since 2000. We’ve seen players paralyzed on the field. We’ve seen untold concussions, snapped bones popping through legs and arms, shredded ligaments, etc. You know what is far more dangerous to college football players than COVID? Wait for it....... PLAYING FOOTBALL!

So for the COVID fusspots out there, you didn’t want to shut down football after any of the 30 heat stroke practice deaths, you didn’t want to shut down after a number of players breaking their necks, you didn’t want to shut down after untold concussions, you didn’t want to shut down after Marcus Lattimore or Tryone Prothro suffered injuries so horrendous it made people sick to their stomachs, oh but now.... now you do... because of a virus that’s tantamount to a mild cold for these players.

If you weren’t leading on shutting down football when Devon Gales of Southern University, was paralyzed on the field in Athens in 2015, nobody wants to hear your politicking now.

Let’s play football, our country needs it.

The thing I hated most about breaking a bone playing football was how many of my friends, family and colleagues also came down with broken bones in the weeks following my injury.

Oh no, the sky is falling... What do we do?? The players and students will get the virus, most wont know they ever had it, but we will all be told to stay in our homes until a vaccine that less than half the US population will get is present..

Faking Stats Proven All Across America. How? Officials combining ‘probable’ cases of COVID-19 with confirmed cases. A total scam

Reactions: Kdbnab1
You still would have a different perspective than if you were not responsible for that type of decision.

Well, that’s your opinion. I currently work and have worked during this pandemic and get tested regularly. So, I’m probably not the best person for you to assume would have a different perspective. Because honestly I wouldn’t.

Not true at all. The amount of mindless non-empirically based information on this board is staggering. Stop spreading misinformation.

What part exactly is not true. That we will all get this at some point or that we as a society are creating hysteria about it.

And I will do and say what I like when I like. Im woke like that

The thing I hated most about breaking a bone playing football was how many of my friends, family and colleagues also came down with broken bones in the weeks following my injury.

Oh, so it’s really NOT about player safety, it’s about your fear for your friends and family and colleagues. That was my point. So maybe you can go back and show us all your concern for your friends and family and colleagues during really bad flu seasons where 100k+ died, or during H1N1 where millions were infected, or any number of past pandemics.

What we’ve learned; You really don’t care about players dying in practice and getting maimed for life and you really didn’t care about past flus and pandemics, you only care THIS year and you only care about your friends and family and colleagues. Got it. I’ll bet I can also guess who you’re voting for. It rhymes with Creep Joe.

Keep yourself and your friends and your colleagues in a bubble, bathe in sanitizer, wear goggles and a mask. Let the rest of us have our college football.

Oh, so it’s really NOT about player safety, it’s about your fear for your friends and family and colleagues. That was my point. So maybe you can go back and show us all your concern for your friends and family and colleagues during really bad flu seasons where 100k+ died, or during H1N1 where millions were infected, or any number of past pandemics.

What we’ve learned; You really don’t care about players dying in practice and getting maimed for life and you really didn’t care about past flus and pandemics, you only care THIS year and you only care about your friends and family and colleagues. Got it. I’ll bet I can also guess who you’re voting for. It rhymes with Creep Joe.

Keep yourself and your friends and your colleagues in a bubble, bathe in sanitizer, wear goggles and a mask. Let the rest of us have our college football.

Oh brother. That’s not at all what I said.

I was merely pointing out the silliness of equating the danger of football injuries to that of a viral pandemic. They’re fundamentally different.

I do appreciate you spelling out the entitlement you feel you have to consume college football regardless of cost. Such a twisted, selfish worldview.

Reactions: ohhbother
I do appreciate you spelling out the entitlement you feel you have to consume college football regardless of cost. Such a twisted, selfish worldview.

And I appreciate your entitled world view where you find it a-okay to shut down a major industry (college football) or any other industry in our capitalist system, based on your selfishness and admitted fear. Go wallow in your own fear, don’t burden the rest of us with it.

People who want to shut football down, and society down, are cowards and quitters.

Oh brother. That’s not at all what I said.

I was merely pointing out the silliness of equating the danger of football injuries to that of a viral pandemic. They’re fundamentally different.

I do appreciate you spelling out the entitlement you feel you have to consume college football regardless of cost. Such a twisted, selfish worldview.[/QUOTE

It all depends on who you believe, unfortunately you can’t trust the numbers that are being put out there. I’ll depend on my own understanding and make my choices accordingly. If you don’t want to play, then don’t play it’s a personal choice. If you do want to play, you should be allowed to do so.

In Hall Co.
As long as they don't require my kids to wear a mask they will be in school. I figure that the class sizes will be smaller and the families that think the sky is falling won't be there to dilute. Maybe something to consider.

Odds are we’ll all be doing some unexpected classes through ItsLearning, so I figure why not just start there. Might set up shop at the beach for all of September.

The Sweden experiment has failed, immunity doesn't last long enough to prevent spread. They have a higher death rate per capita than we do, the same here would mean 3 million plus dead
Wrong. They have not failed and there is no definitive proof that immunity doesn't last long. I suggest you read about T Cell immunity. Many Swedes have that now. Up to 20 to 30%

What they have been doing is what we are doing now. The majority of their deaths are people in nursing homes, where 1/5th die on average after a months stay. What they did wrong was a failure to protect the nursing homes.

The number of death per age group.
Notice ZERO people died between the ages of 10-19

9 years and younger 1
20-29 years 8
30-39 years 16
40-49 years 45
50-59 years 157
60-69 years 380
70-79 years 1,201
80-90 years 2,313
90 years and older 1,451

The majority of the younger deaths can be explained by people with compromised immune systems and those who died with the virus instead of from.

But as you can see well over half are 80 and older.

Also, the death rate has plummeted to around one a day over the last week or so. They still practice caution, but they don't wear masks like we do.

I think we will see a similar situation happen here as the cases to death rates continue to separate. Just will be more difficult because of the size of the US. New York caught the brunt of it at the beginning and they are not seeing and uptick much at all, because its run its course there.

And I appreciate your entitled world view where you find it a-okay to shut down a major industry (college football) or any other industry in our capitalist system, based on your selfishness and admitted fear. Go wallow in your own fear, don’t burden the rest of us with it.

People who want to shut football down, and society down, are cowards and quitters.

Ad hominems aside, no one wants a fall without college football. The consequences of our actions (and lack thereof) are likely to bring that into reality, unfortunately.

I want to shut down the multiverse. Does that make me a Universal Coward and Eternal Quitter?

Do I get a prize?

Odds are we’ll all be doing some unexpected classes through ItsLearning, so I figure why not just start there. Might set up shop at the beach for all of September.

I hear you. I am scouting out beach rentals in the panhandle now. If they postpone until labor I'll pull the trigger.

VN Store

Back