Multiple Players Test Positive

Same as a job. And I wouldn't argue liability concerns are a consideration. Always is because lawyers can always argue both sides of any issue. If players, or employees, are apprised of risk and school, or workplace, follow accepted mitigation measures, a reasonable man can't hold them responsible.

Then again, it seems we have fewer reasonable men by the day.
The problem with today is that some people who believe that you don't agree with them are not reasonable. No offense, but you keep comparing athletes to employees, there is nothing similar about them. That has been determined in a court of law. Just read my previous post for an explanation.

Asked the question last week and nobody had an answer. If the universities aren’t worried about liability in this mess, why have a number of them asked that the athletes sign liability waivers?

The few I saw were acknowledging awareness. I've said several times the players should be apprised of all risk.

Trey Smith may actually be ok playing. Because of his blood clotting disorder, I’m sure he is on blood thinners of some type. I am on blood thinners. I was recently diagnosed with an auto immune disease and I have had to see a lot of drs lately. All of them have suggested to me that being on a blood thinner is to my advantage. One even felt that everyone should be on blood thinners til covid leaves. So maybe Trey is in the same boat?

The problem with today is that some people who believe that you don't agree with them are not reasonable. No offense, but you keep comparing athletes to employees, there is nothing similar about them. That has been determined in a court of law. Just read my previous post for an explanation.
What? And just a few posts back someone told it was school employees everyone thought would sue if they contracted covid.

I well realize students and employees are not the same in the eyes of the law. There are though valid comparisons which can be helpful for laymen in these discussions.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Oh no, the sky is falling... What do we do?? The players and students will get the virus, most wont know they ever had it, but we will all be told to stay in our homes until a vaccine that less than half the US population will get is present..
Those who've tested positive will need to quarantine. LOL....no one is going to tell you to stay at home unless you contract the virus...overreact much?

What? And just a few posts back someone told it was school employees everyone thought would sue if they contracted covid.

I well realize students and employees are not the same in the eyes of the law. There are though valid comparisons which can be helpful for laymen in these discussions.
They are not actually helpful, because you keep pointing out similarities and that is not what is important, it is the distinction that is important. Student athletes don't have near the protections that an employee has under the law. They don't have a voice, they have all the power on Signing Day, and then it ends abruptly.

Just like I'm required to work if I want money. We each provide a service for compensation. If either of us feels it is not in our best interest we can leave.

Everyone with a double digit IQ knows covid is out there and interaction with other folks is how it spreads. That is a reasonable statement. Therefore, it is reasonable to not be surprised when people who interact test positive. Now, if UT were telling players there is zero possibility of their contracting it, they have liability. If UT were throwing covid parties or somehow trying to get them sick, they would have liability. If they were talking no action to mitigate risk, they might have some liability. Certainly people could file suit, but it does not pass the reasonable man test.
Again I ask, why then are universities asking that players sign liability waivers? Their lawyers know something you don’t.

They are not actually helpful, because you keep pointing out similarities and that is not what is important, it is the distinction that is important. Student athletes don't have near the protections that an employee has under the law. They don't have a voice, they have all the power on Signing Day, and then it ends abruptly.

Can a player quit if he's not satisfied with treatment? Can I leave my job if not satisfied with treatment? No one is forced to play football just as no one is forced to work.

The few I saw were acknowledging awareness. I've said several times the players should be apprised of all risk.
Could be wrong but I think they go deeper than awareness. They could just send out a letter or blanket email to make them “aware” of the dangers. Wouldn’t have to go to the trouble of making them sign a liability waiver.

Trey Smith may actually be ok playing. Because of his blood clotting disorder, I’m sure he is on blood thinners of some type. I am on blood thinners. I was recently diagnosed with an auto immune disease and I have had to see a lot of drs lately. All of them have suggested to me that being on a blood thinner is to my advantage. One even felt that everyone should be on blood thinners til covid leaves. So maybe Trey is in the same boat?
Unfortunately, he can’t play a full contact sport on full anti-coagulation. That’s medically contraindicated.
We don’t know what his underlying etiology for his pulmonary emboli is.
Well, I don’t recall it being mentioned at least.
No way to speculate on what his full risks are.

Reactions: VolGirl81
Unfortunately, he can’t play a full contact sport on full anti-coagulation. That’s medically contraindicated.
We don’t know what his underlying etiology for his pulmonary emboli is.
Well, I don’t recall it being mentioned at least.
No way to speculate on what his full risks are.

Yep, no way. No info.

Could be wrong but I think they go deeper than awareness. They could just send out a letter or blanket email to make them “aware” of the dangers. Wouldn’t have to go to the trouble of making them sign a liability waiver.

Maybe as I really didn't pay attention to them past the first story or two. Regardless, mitigating potential liability is important even when it shouldn't be necessary. My take is, what difference does it make. School says "We're going to field a team this year. This explains some of the risks of playing, and if you want to play you have to sign it. I've been consistent the school isn't liable if they fully inform the players of risk and follow best practices to mitigate. Hide risk or don't mitigate, and you'll have a hell of a day in court.

No one argues that the players themselves are at risk of hospitalization, intubation, or death. It is those they come in contact with that they will spread it to unknowingly since most younger patients are asymptomatic. Coaches, parents, professors are all at risk with infected players and the more infected people you have, young or not, the higher spread risk in the general community which makes vulnerable citizens at risk of infection.

I’m pretty amazed at how few people get even a basic grasp of viral community spread dynamics.

Wow! Do you not know that the Players won't be interacting with anyone other than Coaches/ support staff? And all of those will be tested? This will be an exercise in Quarantine. IF they want to play at all.

Then follow trump's recommendations.
I trust his decisions on how the country should proceed more than Dr. Fauci. However any decision can be the wrong one. No one really knows how this virus will behave in the next year or two or even if an effective vaccine will be developed.

Clemson's 38 players who tested positive will all be virus free by August 1! They will not be at further risk this season!

Would you rather your players had already fought that fight or you want to protect them from having to endure that vile disease that most who tested positive did not even know they had?

I say lets proceed as normal and treat anyone who shows symptoms and move on! (THE DOCTORS HERE IN FLORIDA DON"T EVEN HAVE ANYTHING TO OFFER AS TREATMENT--I SWEAR THEY TOLD ME EXACTLY THAT) You do realize that most do not even show symptoms! What the hell do you have to lose if you have it and don't even know it?

You got to test for it to even find out if you have it! And, funny thing about that testing. In Florida it is taking about two weeks to get results back. By the time your results are back, you will have had time to rid yourself of the virus!

We've all got to man up and say enough is enough!

I will concede this: Older people at risk, and they know who they are, should act like we all are acting now! The rest of us should start our lives again!

The schools should open! ALL SCHOOLS!

Sports should go on as scheduled! ALL SPORTS!

Reactions: BlackCreekVol
I know right? Ah the vaccine, the vaccine that will save humanity. Let’s see, the Coronavirus (25% of all colds) has been around forever yet there is no vaccine in sight but Covid (a variant of the Coronavirus) will be ready in short order. People actually believe this nonsense.

the vaccine will be available

does it actually effectively prevent infection?

Oh look...death rate is still continuing to drop. States are reporting false numbers. CDC and Fauci keep going back and forth. All fake news. Time to move on folks. You don’t see Europe freaking out any more. They are smarter than I previously thought.
The only reason people are freaking out and making a bigger deal of it is because it's an election year. Doesn't take away that, yes it is a virus, but you never hear the facts of recovery and low death rate. Once November comes and goes it'll not be as big of a deal.

the vaccine will be available

does it actually effectively prevent infection?

The flu vaccine won’t prevent infection, but it does mitigate serious issues in a vast majority of cases. Some people say they get the flu the year they get the shot and then think they don’t need it again. But the point is to keep you alive.

States aren’t required to report the vaccination information with adult deaths, but they have to with child deaths.

VN Store

Back