'24 MS RB Daniel Hill

It's tough call for sure.
Hill is a talented guy
He is, but I think as a RB that he’s the 4th best RB on our board at best and potentially 5th or 6th if we’re still pursuing Gibson and are recruiting Boo as a RB. I’m not sure if he fits in particularly well as a RB in our offense either. He seems better suited as an H-Back in a prostyle scheme. Nothing jumps out from his highlights. He seems like a bigger but slower Deebo Samuel, and we already have a bigger faster Deebo on the roster

Another tailback coming to town is Daniel Hill. Tennessee has worked hard to get him to town and he is set to finally find his way back to Rocky Top. South Carolina and Alabama are thought to be the top two for him but he has always stayed in steady contact with the Vols so it will be interesting to hear his thoughts coming out of this weekend.
-VQ

He is, but I think as a RB that he’s the 4th best RB on our board at best and potentially 5th or 6th if we’re still pursuing Gibson and are recruiting Boo as a RB. I’m not sure if he fits in particularly well as a RB in our offense either. He seems better suited as an H-Back in a prostyle scheme. Nothing jumps out from his highlights. He seems like a bigger but slower Deebo Samuel, and we already have a bigger faster Deebo on the roster
football is more than just running and catching.

football is more than just running and catching.
ronburgundy-dontbelieveyou.gif

We aren't recruiting Boo as a RB and Hill is definitely a lot better than you're giving him credit for. If nothing about Hill stands out to you, what stands out about Gibson so much?

We aren't recruiting Boo as a RB and Hill is definitely a lot better than you're giving him credit for. If nothing about Hill stands out to you, what stands out about Gibson so much?
Hill might end up being a solid RB in college, but he doesn’t bring anything we don’t already have in our RB room. Especially now that it looks like Lewis is on board. As far as Gibson goes he looks much faster on video and doesn’t seem to be as stiff as Hill. Gibson isn’t coming here though, but that’s ok. I think Lewis is just as good if not better. We need a Jahmyr Gibbs type of back that is capable making guys miss in a phone booth that also has elite speed and can catch the ball. In my opinion Boo fits that mold perfectly. Keep in mind Gibbs was recruited as a DB by a lot of schools too, and ended up being potentially the best offensive weapon in the draft this past season. Same goes for De’Anthony Thomas. Everyone was recruiting him to play corner and he ended up playing offense at Oregon and embarrassed defenses for 3 years. Everyone is assuming that Boo will play safety, but if we’re able to land either Jones, Mikell, and Tyler/Bates I think he would be much more valuable on offense. With his specific skillset it’s almost like he was born to play in this offense. It just doesn’t make sense for him not to get 10-12 touches a game in this offense

Hill might end up being a solid RB in college, but he doesn’t bring anything we don’t already have in our RB room. Especially now that it looks like Lewis is on board. As far as Gibson goes he looks much faster on video and doesn’t seem to be as stiff as Hill. Gibson isn’t coming here though, but that’s ok. I think Lewis is just as good if not better. We need a Jahmyr Gibbs type of back that is capable making guys miss in a phone booth that also has elite speed and can catch the ball. In my opinion Boo fits that mold perfectly. Keep in mind Gibbs was recruited as a DB by a lot of schools too, and ended up being potentially the best offensive weapon in the draft this past season. Same goes for De’Anthony Thomas. Everyone was recruiting him to play corner and he ended up playing offense at Oregon and embarrassed defenses for 3 years. Everyone is assuming that Boo will play safety, but if we’re able to land either Jones, Mikell, and Tyler/Bates I think he would be much more valuable on offense. With his specific skillset it’s almost like he was born to play in this offense

Running back rooms change. You have to recruit positions that seem full because guys come and go every offseason. You always need RB depth.

Hill offers variety. He's a big RB with WR skills. He offers much of the same flexibility as Cam Seldon in a bigger, albeit slower body. BUT... that may offer the opportunity to run sets without a TE.
I’m talking about a variety of different backs. Hill is more of a jack of all trades master of none, and those kind of guys usually aren’t very big difference makers in the SEC at RB. If we’re recruiting him in a Trey Burton/Princeton type of role I’m all for that. I love Peyton Lewis. I just think Boo needs to be playing offense in a DeAnthony Thomas/Tavon Austin type role too

I’m talking about a variety of different backs. Hill is more of a jack of all trades master of none, and those kind of guys usually aren’t very big difference makers in the SEC at RB. If we’re recruiting him in a Trey Burton/Princeton type of role I’m all for that. I love Peyton Lewis. I just think Boo needs to be playing offense in a DeAnthony Thomas/Tavon Austin type role too
You realize you just said you don't want Hill because he's a jack of all trades master and they don't pan out and then immediately said you want Boo bc he reminds you of, wait for it, TWO jack of all trades masters

Hill offers variety. He's a big RB with WR skills. He offers much of the same flexibility as Cam Seldon in a bigger, albeit slower body. BUT... that may offer the opportunity to run sets without a TE.

Cam will do some of that stuff i think
TE/Edge perimeter blocking

Reactions: Smokey19rt
You realize you just said you don't want Hill because he's a jack of all trades master and they don't pan out and then immediately said you want Boo bc he reminds you of, wait for it, TWO jack of all trades masters
Uhhh, Deathony Thomas and Tavon Austin are both definitely not Jack of all trades type backs. Master of a few things I might add. So basically not average at everything. I’m not against Hill or Russell but they’re just bigger backs you use situationally. Neither get bulk of Carries. (Yes we need) No need to condemn people for thinking Boo should be on O lol i agree with the notion.

Don’t get why everyone is so against Boo on offense, Game changer. Every guy they’re pursuing has higher upside than Boo at S, not to mention there’s hardly any film of him there.

Uhhh, Deathony Thomas and Tavon Austin are both definitely not Jack of all trades type backs. Master of a few things I might add. So basically not average at everything. I’m not against Hill or Russell but they’re just bigger backs you use situationally. Neither get bulk of Carries. (Yes we need) No need to condemn people for thinking Boo should be on O lol i agree with the notion.

Don’t get why everyone is so against Boo on offense, Game changer. Every guy they’re pursuing has higher upside than Boo at S, not to mention there’s hardly any film of him there.

You don’t know that Hill or Russell couldn’t get the bulk of the carries. You know about as much as those two as anyone else. Which is very little. Thomas was definitely a jack of all trades back. Look at his stats. He was a good rusher, receiver and he returned kicks and punts. That’s the definition of a jack of all trades back.

As far as Boo, iirc, we have been recruiting him as a DB. How do you know he doesn’t want to play DB? Hill and Russell would be great RBs to have to go along with Lewis. AP just stated that Bama wants Hill big time.

Reactions: Clevegasvol
You don’t know that Hill or Russell couldn’t get the bulk of the carries. You know about as much as those two as anyone else. Which is very little. Thomas was definitely a jack of all trades back. Look at his stats. He was a good rusher, receiver and he returned kicks and punts. That’s the definition of a jack of all trades back.

As far as Boo, iirc, we have been recruiting him as a DB. How do you know he doesn’t want to play DB? Hill and Russell would be great RBs to have to go along with Lewis. AP just stated that Bama wants Hill big time.
I agree that either would be great to go along with Lewis.

Boo is a NB/KR
And no it wouldn't be the end of the world if be played slot when he gets to Knoxville

VN Store

Back