'24 MS RB Daniel Hill

RB commit Justin Baker is certainly better than Bishop, probably better than Keith (although very different type of backs).
CERTAINLY? Need to see them after they reach their ceilings to make that assessment. Keith PROBABLY has a more targeted big back role. Need to see if Bishop’s gamer methods translate to this level. That will depend on the results of weight room and speed training gains. His vision, patience, and initial burst after planting his foot WERE what they were in HS. Hope he is healthy for spring and answers are there either way. See him in a Small role, not a speed back.

CERTAINLY? Need to see them after they reach their ceilings to make that assessment. Keith PROBABLY has a more targeted big back role. Need to see if Bishop’s gamer methods translate to this level. That will depend on the results of weight room and speed training gains. His vision, patience, and initial burst after planting his foot WERE what they were in HS. Hope he is healthy for spring and answers are there either way. See him in a Small role, not a speed back.
I will be surprised if Bishop is anywhere close to as good as Small was. Hope he is.

Definitely was better as a high school RB.
I was probably the most all in on getting him to UT. Granted he is not a mauler or burner BUT seems to have a LOT of intangibles that allowed him to use his endurance anytime his coach called on him, limped back to the huddle then went for 20 on the next snap with the whole world knowing it was coming.

My post signing analysis is I was in part motivated by a fear of passing on him and him exploding on the scene elsewhere and having to listen to our serial detractors play the IGNORE IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD card just like some have on Eli Owens of Alcoa the last few days. Worse later if he matured into a difference maker in college.

Undoubtedly a risk, but hope it works out even in a very talented room at UT. Can he enhance his speed and strength enough to be a player? Did he arrive peaked? Some do, some don’t. But I doubt a lack of effort will be a factor. If the handwriting is on the wall after spring he could be a May portal guy. How ready Lewis is upon arrival could be a factor.

I was probably the most all in on getting him to UT. Granted he is not a mauler or burner BUT seems to have a LOT of intangibles that allowed him to use his endurance anytime his coach called on him, limped back to the huddle then went for 20 on the next snap with the whole world knowing it was coming.

My post signing analysis is I was in part motivated by a fear of passing on him and him exploding on the scene elsewhere and having to listen to our serial detractors play the IGNORE IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD card just like some have on Eli Owens of Alcoa the last few days. Worse later if he matured into a difference maker in college.

Undoubtedly a risk, but hope it works out even in a very talented room at UT. Can he enhance his speed and strength enough to be a player? Did he arrive peaked? Some do, some don’t. But I doubt a lack of effort will be a factor. If the handwriting is on the wall after spring he could be a May portal guy. How ready Lewis is upon arrival could be a factor.
He’s from Mississippi. That’s not in our own backyard.

Daniel Hill at 5'11" and 240lbs as an 18 year old this young man has already grown into an adult body.

it will be interesting to see where he eventually ends up and what position he plays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokey19rt
I think Sampson reminds me a ton of AKs style. Great pass catcher and he glides like silk. He will get better at pass pro hopefully and be dominant.

I thought Seldon looked great for a freshman in the Iowa game, and I’m hoping some other young guys like
Keith can become a bruiser. Kentucky has had bruisers lately. And I know, Kentucky is Kentucky, but they’ve had some backs that can move the chains and punish a defense lately. I’d love to have that with a guy like Sampson. Similar to Hurd and kamara.

Not sure we even have a shot or want to take this kid. Im of the opinion you take every blue chip you can and it makes competition. Competition makes better teams.

Reactions: Smokey19rt

The injury last season may have been a blessing in disguise for the kid. His body probably needed a break after all those carries in high school, but I thought that he showed that he belongs on this level last spring. I hope he has success here or somewhere else at some point. Tough kid.

VN Store

Back