'21 MS JUCO CB Jadarrius Perkins (Mizzou Transfer)

Proof he can recruit is getting two juco guys..... one a transfer from Missouri?

Oh, just “two juco guys” that Oklahoma and Georgia and Clemson and Tennessee also wanted. Just a couple nobody’s until Mullen landed them. Because who would want the #1 and 5 juco players in America, right? Only poverty-stricken Mullen and Florida.

And you want proof of good recruiting? Proof is that every time I turn around he’s landing guys in positions of need. And proof is the fact that he took over a Bowl-less 4-win team and has taken them to 3 straight NY6 Bowl games, won the SEC East and was 6 points away from winning the SEC.

Are you suggesting he did that with bad players?

Oh, just “two juco guys” that Oklahoma and Georgia and Clemson and Tennessee also wanted. Just a couple nobody’s until Mullen landed them. Because who would want the #1 and 5 juco players in America, right? Only poverty-stricken Mullen and Florida.

And you want proof of good recruiting? Proof is that every time I turn around he’s landing guys in positions of need. And proof is the fact that he took over a Bowl-less 4-win team and has taken them to 3 straight NY6 Bowl games, won the SEC East and was 6 points away from winning the SEC.

giphy.gif

I don't get why some don't like the JUCO/transfer route. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I ****ing hate Florida, but Mullen has been KILLING it in the portal. That's what we need to do right now with the mess we are in, luckily Heupel has gotten a few.

I don't get why some don't like the JUCO/transfer route. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I ****ing hate Florida, but Mullen has been KILLING it in the portal. That's what we need to do right now with the mess we are in, luckily Heupel has gotten a few.
Looks like to me that is part of their plan. Get the best they can out of the portal while working on trying to build relationships with those in HS hoping these will pay off when they put an exciting team on the field. With them already taking one transfer using a scholarship from next year, it appears transfers are going to be prioritized. With free agency being allowed, this will be done more and more and especially with new head coaches having to build a roster because everyone will leave when a coach is fired.

My opinion of Mullen is that he is an absolutely phenomenal offensive mind and his teams tend to be pretty disciplined...... his failings is that he is an average recruiter..... Being in Florida helps with that but even then it will hold him back from reaching an elite level that Florida is wanting to reach. Our new coach has similar strengths and also similar question marks as Mullen.

Huepel is smart enough to know how to take advantage of the portal. He’s already on it.

My opinion of Mullen is that he is an absolutely phenomenal offensive mind and his teams tend to be pretty disciplined...... his failings is that he is an average recruiter..... Being in Florida helps with that but even then it will hold him back from reaching an elite level that Florida is wanting to reach. Our new coach has similar strengths and also similar question marks as Mullen.

This is where I am. Mullen is the offensive equivalent of Saban at this point in his career. If he figures out recruiting on an elite level I really think he has dynasty potential. I already believe he could coach circles around Saban and is probably just as good developing talent, he just can't land the Jimmy's and Joe's to get it done.

Reactions: PA Vol and Jaws

Mullen will get knocked for his recruiting until he has landed a few top 5 classes, instead of top 12 type classes. He’s been good, not great, in recruiting.

If he ever does start landing top 5 classes, to go along with his player development and on-field coaching abilities, watch out.

Huepel is smart enough to know how to take advantage of the portal. He’s already on it.
I’ll be the first to admit that I laughed at Mullen for taking a lot of transfers and that I thought they wouldn’t amount to much, but damn I was wrong. They may have not been all world type players but they helped a ton

Reactions: VolByLaw and Jaws
Mullen will get knocked for his recruiting until he has landed a few top 5 classes, instead of top 12 type classes. He’s been good, not great, in recruiting.

If he ever does start landing top 5 classes, to go along with his player development and on-field coaching abilities, watch out.

Yep - the problem with a top 12 class nationally is it is barely top half of the SEC.

Reactions: QU1ZE
This is where I am. Mullen is the offensive equivalent of Saban at this point in his career. If he figures out recruiting on an elite level I really think he has dynasty potential. I already believe he could coach circles around Saban and is probably just as good developing talent, he just can't land the Jimmy's and Joe's to get it done.

This post is right on the money. Mullen has had the occasional Kyle Pitts, Kaiir Elam, Gervon Dexter, Xzavier Henderson types that Bama and everyone else in the country wanted, but the classes as a whole have been short of great or elite.

That will be the perception until Mullen gets a few top 5, top 3 classes.

True but that’s a big if with him..... taking out transfers which has helped them immensely....his classes are probably even a little worse than originally rated.....some of his higher rated players tend to have issue(diwun black as an example) who couldn’t make it to campus the first time he signed with Florida. Butch use to take a lot of higher rated guys that weren’t as good as their rating to make himself look better.... I see a little bit of that in Mullen as well.

I’ll be the first to admit that I laughed at Mullen for taking a lot of transfers and that I thought they wouldn’t amount to much, but damn I was wrong. They may have not been all world type players but they helped a ton

You’re right. Some of the very best players in the Mullen era have been portal transfers. All-SEC, NFL player types; Van Jefferson, Tre Grimes, Jon Greenard to name a few. Also, current players who are major contributors and future NFL picks like Brenton Cox, Justin Shorter, Lorenzo Lingard, Demarkus Bowman, and I know I’m missing several. Even guys like RT Jean Delance (some Gator fans don’t like him because he gave up too many Trask pressures) but he has been a 3-year starter at RT, was also a transfer. Adam Shuler and Marlon Dunlap were solid role players and contributors, transfers. Current starting DT’s Shelton and Newkirk, transfers.

Mullen has made a killing using the portal. I knew other coaches would eventually catch on and catch up to this, and they’re starting to, Huepel included.

True but that’s a big if with him..... taking out transfers which has helped them immensely....his classes are probably even a little worse than originally rated.....some of his higher rated players tend to have issue(diwun black as an example) who couldn’t make it to campus the first time he signed with Florida. Butch use to take a lot of higher rated guys that weren’t as good as their rating to make himself look better.... I see a little bit of that in Mullen as well.

Fair points. When you average Mullen’s recruiting classes at UF, he averaged anywhere from 8th to around 11th depending on which site you use. So going from 10th or so to 5th isn’t that much of a leap in my opinion. We’re talking a hand full of more highly recruited guys.

The big game-changer for Florida, at least UF fans hope it is, it’s the facilities upgrade. The new complex is finished later this year, early next year. It’s hard to fathom UF currently has no standalone football complex. Players still dress out for practice in their locker room in the swamp and then walk a few hundred yards to the practice fields. Very antiquated.

Will it be enough to get UF from top 10 to top 5, we’ll see.

Fair points. When you average Mullen’s recruiting classes at UF, he averaged anywhere from 8th to around 11th depending on which site you use. So going from 10th or so to 5th isn’t that much of a leap in my opinion. We’re talking a hand full of more highly recruited guys.

The big game-changer for Florida, at least UF fans hope it is, it’s the facilities upgrade. The new complex is finished later this year, early next year. It’s hard to fathom UF currently has no standalone football complex. Players still dress out for practice in their locker room in the swamp and then walk a few hundred yards to the practice fields. Very antiquated.

Will it be enough to get UF from top 10 to top 5, we’ll see.

Mullen maximizes the talent he has around him. That combined with being an offensive mastermind/QB guru is scary but the scarier part is when he figures out the landing top classes consistently part.

The transfer portal and recruiting is basically the equivalent to the NBA draft. How are they similar? HS recruits are the lottery picks in the draft. They have the most talent/upside but their development is really up in the air. But transfers are more like the mid-to-late first rounders because their talent isn't as high but their development is more likely predictable. Most of the time those mid-to-late 1st rounders are role players, contributors right away while the lotteries often need time to bloom.

So for teams like UF and others that are on the heals of the powerhouses/dynasties, transfers play a crucial part. The coaches are getting players that can contribute right away instead of investing in possible elite talent in the future. I see that tactic as a program builder and not a sustainable way to have success. Mullen will need to transition to pulling top classes such as Bama, Clemson, OSU, OU, etc. consistently to have a self sustaining ecosystem because the JUCO/transfers pool is not always team friendly. I believe he will...especially if he wins big this year or next.

Reactions: Jaws
Mullen maximizes the talent he has around him. That combined with being an offensive mastermind/QB guru is scary but the scarier part is when he figures out the landing top classes consistently part.

The transfer portal and recruiting is basically the equivalent to the NBA draft. How are they similar? HS recruits are the lottery picks in the draft. They have the most talent/upside but their development is really up in the air. But transfers are more like the mid-to-late first rounders because their talent isn't as high but their development is more likely predictable. Most of the time those mid-to-late 1st rounders are role players, contributors right away while the lotteries often need time to bloom.

So for teams like UF and others that are on the heals of the powerhouses/dynasties, transfers play a crucial part. The coaches are getting players that can contribute right away instead of investing in possible elite talent in the future. I see that tactic as a program builder and not a sustainable way to have success. Mullen will need to transition to pulling top classes such as Bama, Clemson, OSU, OU, etc. consistently to have a self sustaining ecosystem because the JUCO/transfers pool is not always team friendly. I believe he will...especially if he wins big this year or next.
I think Mullen being a pretty weird guy hinders him some in recruiting as well.

This, this is how you post on message boards. Excellent analysis. 👏🏻

Reactions: dcm3w
Florida is nothing without the Transfer Portal. They use it masterfully

Florida is nothing without the Transfer Portal. They use it masterfully
They do. I’m glad Heupel is doing the same. I don’t see why you’re so down all the time? Give every coach the first year or two then be negative, ya feel me?

They do. I’m glad Heupel is doing the same. I don’t see why you’re so down all the time? Give every coach the first year or two then be negative, ya feel me?

I don't have anything against Heupel at all. I think the team is in the middle of a well needed culture shift. I just think the looming unknown sanctions put a damper on things big time

I don't have anything against Heupel at all. I think the team is in the middle of a well needed culture shift. I just think the looming unknown sanctions put a damper on things big time

Hey man I get it. I’ve been a Debbie downer for 5 months now lol, but I’m giving Heupel a chance. Be more positive 👀

Reactions: VOLSONLY

VN Store

Back