Movies you've seen recently II

(2022) Barbarian
9/10

I'm thrilled this serious Horror movie didn't use any awful writing cliches in Horror movies.

2 examples are cellphones don't work without any stated reason in the movie, also the car doesn't start which is nonsensical because a past scene or past scenes showed a character driving the car without any visible flaws.
This horror movie is a realistic Horror movie including showing a rundown neighborhood in Detroit which is one main location for this Horror movie.
The movie has successful scary scenes, a terrifying main antagonist, Scary music that fits the Horror scenes, flawed protagonists that act realistic including a protagonist who uses an easy solution and an understandable reason why AJ is traveling to Detroit, and a thrilling climax that has action and stakes, also an ending that satisfied me.

Tess is shown to be a likable main protagonist, Keith is also shown to be a likable protagonist, and the movie gives a strong reason why AJ is an unlikable flawed protagonist.
This movie does use darkness however it's not frustrating to watch scenes with darkness because light does get used so I could still see what is happening.

Barbarian is a serious Horror movie that is great, and entertaining.
Also, I enjoyed this movie showed realistic mortality for the characters instead of the common nonsensical cliches that a human quickly heals from a wound, no challenge moving after being shot by a gun, no injury after jumping or falling from a high distance, doesn't get glass stuck in a fist after punching with a bare fist, etc.

A Horror movie set mostly in a House isn't an original idea since it's a dime a dozen however Barbarian is an original Horror movie set mostly in a House located in Detroit that shows Hollywood is capable of creating original movies.
The movie has a realistic portrayal of Detroit because of showing flaws except also showing good aspects or the Pros of Detroit.

Last edited:
Reactions: SycloneJoe
A few I've seen lately

Barbarian: 6.5/10 solid acting, and the first part of the film was pretty fantastic. Once the reveal happened it just slowly did a nose dive
The Invitation: 8/10 really liked this one, didn't really do anything new or exciting but did a very classy suspenseful gothic style horror.
Nope: 8/10 not a bad movie, but my least favorite of Peele's films. Felt like the story just wasn't well thought out to me certain sidebars that seemed unnecessary
Amsterdam: 9/10 caught this one with a sneak peak reminded me of Knives Out a bit, strong cast and a huge list of quality actors. Fun story, beautifully shot and I really loved the production design as well as sets. A bit more humor than I expected which helped the pacing a good bit.

Reactions: bignewt
Rewatched Bad Words (currently on Netflix) 8/10.

Good fun and a good story
Gave it a watch because I usually like Bateman. I’d go 7/10. Don’t know where it’s streaming, but my favorite Bateman movie is “Extract”. Sort of a blue collar version of Office Space as both were written by Mike Judge.

Reactions: bigdaddy
Jeepers Creepers: Reborn 3.273/10

If you liked JC 1 and 2, then watched 3 and thought they ruined the franchise. Then saw they were rebooting it and had hope...well I'm here to crush all hope, this is worse than 3. Welcome to Jeepers Creepers the basic slasher in all its green screen glory.

Hellraiser (2022) 8.936/10

And on the opposite end of the spectrum is Hellraiser. If you are a fan and hate everything after 2 maybe 3, and were cautious about a reboot, fear not friends this movie is pretty f***ing awesome. The biggest gripe, (outside of half the movies not actually being Hellraiser movies just Pinhead forced into a sh*t movie) is not enough Pinhead and Cenobites. Well they are very much present in this movie, and goes into the lore more. And I was a little afraid it would get watered down but it has a lot of/Good gore, and best I could tell mostly practical effects. I'll admit no Doug Bradley sucks, and the new Pinheads voice is not as powerful, but the lead is pretty good. And IIRC, it's been awhile since I read it, Pinhead was androgynous in Hellbound Heart, so this casting technically makes more sense. Her voice isn't bad btw, it's just not Doug's, which would have been the case with anyone. And to finish out my Firestorm review of Hellraiser. Hellraiser is top 3 favorite horror franchise for me, even with its many missteps, and while not perfect this movie got me super excited for its future.

Edit: I'm really hoping the new Friday ends up in Hulu's hands and not Netflix's now. That's weird to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: vols 30 and Behr
Jeepers Creepers: Reborn 3.273/10

If you liked JC 1 and 2, then watched 3 and thought they ruined the franchise. Then saw they were rebooting it and had hope...well I'm here to crush all hope, this is worse than 3. Welcome to Jeepers Creepers the basic slasher in all its green screen glory.

Hellraiser (2022) 8.936/10

And on the opposite end of the spectrum is Hellraiser. If you are a fan and hate everything after 2 maybe 3, and were cautious about a reboot, fear not friends this movie is pretty f***ing awesome. The biggest gripe, (outside of half the movies not actually being Hellraiser movies just Pinhead forced into a sh*t movie) is not enough Pinhead and Cenobites. Well they are very much present in this movie, and goes into the lore more. And I was a little afraid it would get watered down but it has a lot of/Good gore, and best I could tell mostly practical effects. I'll admit no Doug Bradley sucks, and the new Pinheads voice is not as powerful, but the lead is pretty good. And IIRC, it's been awhile since I read it, Pinhead was androgynous in Hellbound Heart, so this casting technically makes more sense. Her voice isn't bad btw, it's just not Doug's, which would have been the case with anyone. And to finish out my Firestorm review of Hellraiser. Hellraiser is top 3 favorite horror franchise for me, even with its many missteps, and while not perfect this movie got me super excited for its future.

Edit: I'm really hoping the new Friday ends up in Hulu's hands and not Netflix's now. That's weird to say.
i-got-it-lol-GIF-by-Americas-Funniest-Home-Videos-source.gif

Reactions: BadJerry20
'Memory' with Liam Neeson. Was free, for a reason.

Wonder if when pitched a movie, Liam stops them in mid sentence and says 'yes'.
Watched first half of this on a recent long plane flight. Didn’t see the whole movie but it appeared to be much much better than his prior 2, one where he’s a rancher on the Mexican border and the other where he’s a truck driver in Alaska on frozen roads. Both of those were very bad.

Agree 100%. Couldn’t believe 2 A list actors like Liam and Fishburn who agree to be in such a piece of crap movie

I don't think they are A-list actors anymore. Besides a short story in Buster Scruggs and some voice work, does Neeson have any movies he's proud of from the last decade?

Fishburne has some OK work in the last decade but no leading roles or even big roles in anything good, right?

Both guys are very prolific actors who stay quite busy. Neeson had the Taken series but has a ton since then. Neither are top 10 type male actors, but I’d still consider both as A list. Google both and see what you think.

The Greatest Beer Run Ever might be my new favorite movie. A good balance of humor and serious with a perspective on the Vietnam War that isn’t overly biased towards one side.

Can't believe I'm the first person to bring up The Outfit (now streaming on Prime). That movie was great and Mark Rylance had an awesome performance. Could easily be a stage play as the entire mafia drama unfolds in a men's suit store.

Everything was so good, except I thought it was pretty silly when Leonard says "Francis shot...." and left it hanging and Boyle didn't suspect that he was gonna say "Richie." Also, I didn't understand why the La Fontaine's wanted the tape?

The 2nd ending didn't totally work for me where he has a final confrontation with Francis, but I thought it was really smart how it was a parallel to how he said he hates the final touches on a suit because they don't require skill. The fine craftsmanship is already finished at that point.

Really good story.

La Fontaine wanted the tape because the crew was making moves on them and “if they get the tape, then they’ll know how to hit back.” Watch the scene where Francis makes him “part of the family.”

Reactions: n_huffhines
Gave it a watch because I usually like Bateman. I’d go 7/10. Don’t know where it’s streaming, but my favorite Bateman movie is “Extract”. Sort of a blue collar version of Office Space as both were written by Mike Judge.
Extract is one of my favorites

Reactions: walkenvol
Terrifier 2

7.7718/10

I liked Terrifier for what it was, raw and brutal carnage, and this amps it up a couple notches with a better story, and more backstory on Art. Idk that they topped the upside down kill from 1(top 10 kill ever), but one is close. From a segment in an anthology, to basically a test run movie, too this, Art has a chance (with horror fans anyway) to be the next horror icon. Creepiest/scariest clown ever, **** Pennywise.

Reactions: 615vols
Wyrmwood: Apocalypse

7.632/10

Finally out of limbo and worth the wait, this and the first one are pretty close, good bloody fun.

VN Store

Back