Movies you've seen recently II

Anatomy of a Fall 7/10

It was fine and well acted...a bit of a slow burn, but I didn't see the Oscar worthiness in it. I'm no expert, though. I did get sick of P.I.M.P. blaring, mission accomplished there.

The Alamo (2004) I haven't seen it in years. A very underrated movie and historically accurate for the most part. 7/10

The Holdover, 2024, Giamatti nominated for best actor, Da'vine Joy Randolph won best Actress.
10/10
Took me back to the times. I would have been 17-18.

The Last Stop in Yuma County 8.5/10; 98% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's a crime/suspense/thriller that definitely has some Quentin Tarantino and "Bad Times at the El Dorado" vibes. DO NOT WATCH the trailer before viewing the movie, as it gives away most of the movie.

I really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
I listen to Smartless, and I'm always amazed at how nice all the Hollywood stars are. Bateman, Arnett, and Hayes are such nice guys, so the guests go through their filter, but still....everybody is so thoughtful and interesting and much less egocentric than you'd imagine...

But today, I listened to the Sarah Poulson interview, and I think the guys were a little taken aback by her. She **** on her family, her Mom, and this little old retired actress who played a role before her and gave her some notes. The only specific note she mentioned was about the color of the dress the character wears. They didn't really let on too much and treated her like there were no problems, but I know this isn't their vibe.

Showed my little boy The Rundown. It holds up well. He's 3 and pulled all the pillows off the sectional and was just running around it play-fighting. He made me replay the opening scene and then we rewatched the finale a few times. I love passing my media onto my kids. It's so fun when it connects with them.

Reactions: Pennheel
Went to see The Fall Guy on a rainy Tuesday. Still trying to decide how to rate it. It has a bit of the Tropic Thunder theme as the plot surrounds the making of a movie, specifically from the stuntman perspective. Loaded with action throughout and kept our attention. An overall fun movie.

Reactions: vol94
Argyle 5/10. Not bad until the last few scenes where it just seemed to jump the shark.

Bryce Dallas Howard has put on some weight.

Atlas - 6.5-10. Pretty good Netflix original starring J-Lo and Simu Liu. Set in the distant future and deals with the aftermath of an AI uprising on earth. Doesn’t break any new ground, but it looks good and the action is plentiful.

Atlas - 6.5-10. Pretty good Netflix original starring J-Lo and Simu Liu. Set in the distant future and deals with the aftermath of an AI uprising on earth. Doesn’t break any new ground, but it looks good and the action is plentiful.
J-Lo is one of those celebrities that makes me want to not watch a film and I’m not sure why

Last edited:
Hit Man (Netflix) is getting a ton of buzz but I wasn't crazy about it. I think part of it was expectation and confusion about the vibe of the movie. I didn't realize I was watching a dark romantic comedy and I was trying to make too much sense of all the details*

I am also not crazy about Glenn Powell

like a police department is small enough to need volunteer help but in a location large enough that they do all these stings? Makes no sense but turns out this movie is silly

Hit Man (Netflix) is getting a ton of buzz but I wasn't crazy about it. I think part of it was expectation and confusion about the vibe of the movie. I didn't realize I was watching a dark romantic comedy and I was trying to make too much sense of all the details*

I am also not crazy about Glenn Powell

like a police department is small enough to need volunteer help but in a location large enough that they do all these stings? Makes no sense but turns out this movie is silly
And I just added that to my list🤣. Maybe if I'm bored one night.

Hit Man was the most disappointed I've been watching a movie in a long time. I do not understand the love it's getting. I don't know if its just Netflix that kills the spirit of directors or Linklater just mailed it in. oof.

VN Store

Back