Movies you've seen recently II

Rawhead Rex story is waaaay better than the movie. The movie is terrible but almost in a good way. The "baptism" part is pretty foul though.

Clive Barker, no? Yea that scene and a couple others were shock-for-shock’s-sake awful. I lol’d at the monster.

Roman Holiday. 9.5/10. Hepburn and Peck.
Tokyo Chorus. ???/10. Silent film about existential misery in Japan during the depression with happy piano music. You’ll watch some weird sh** at 2 a.m.
Morgan. 1.25/10. Terrible, soulless A.I. schlock.
Slenderman. 1.5/10. Jeff the Killer needs better PR.
Pain and Glory. 8/10. Well done Pedro Almodovar autobio with A. Banderas playing him and Penelope Cruz as his muse.

The Irishman on Netflix is a must see for mob movie lovers. It's based on the book I Heard You Paint Houses which is a metaphor for killing people and spraying their blood on, walls, ceilings and floors. It stars Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci and many others. This may be as close as you'll ever come to closing the book on Jimmy Hoffa. The Irishman is Frank Sheeran (DeNiro) who is a Hoffa (Pacino) confidant, friend, bodyguard and mobster.

The Irishman on Netflix is a must see for mob movie lovers. It's based on the book I Heard You Paint Houses which is a metaphor for killing people and spraying their blood on, walls, ceilings and floors. It stars Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci and many others. This may be as close as you'll ever come to closing the book on Jimmy Hoffa. The Irishman is Frank Sheeran (DeNiro) who is a Hoffa (Pacino) confidant, friend, bodyguard and mobster.
Hate to burst your bubble but the late in life confession by Frank Sheehan is likely not true by most Hoffa experts and just an attempt by Sheeran to leave steady cash flow to his family upon his death. I watched the movie yesterday with high expectations. I was disappointed because the movie is boring and mediocre.

Hate to burst your bubble but the late in life confession by Frank Sheehan is likely not true by most Hoffa experts and just an attempt by Sheeran to leave steady cash flow to his family upon his death. I watched the movie yesterday with high expectations. I was disappointed because the movie is boring and mediocre.
Probably should have mentioned that those with short attention spans may prefer comic hero action movies.

Reactions: bignewt
Probably should have mentioned that those with short attention spans may prefer comic hero action movies.
I’m not sure if that is an insult but see in my other post about the movies I enjoy. I believe you are misjudging me because I am critical of The Irishman. I do not see many movies in the Theaters anymore because they are targeted toward a younger audience. I go for the movies that are rated high by movie critics.

Nah, it was more of a dig than an insult. I don't expect everyone to like the same movies I like. I don't try to look at movies too objectively. I look at them more as entertainment and fantasy even if they are billed as nonfiction. Sheeran's book has been proven to have been embellished and parts completely fabricated. However he was who he says he was and has been confirmed as part of these people's inner circle. There is some truth in the book.

I, like you seldom go out to the movies anymore for the same reasons you stated. I'm an old guy and for a long time I went to 20 or more movies a year. I'm now more of a Netflix, Prime, and HULU type of viewer. I tend to like series better than movies because there is more time for plot and character development. That's not to say there are no good movies out there. But IMO they are few and far between. Too much running, jumping, flash bangs and last second escapes. If you've seen one you've seen them all.

I disagree with you on The Irishman though. Partly because I am well versed on the Hoffa trials in Tennessee. I lived not far from Nashville when that circus rolled into town. I was in HS and had a civics teacher who believed the trial was a lesson within itself and he was determined to use it as a teaching tool. He brought in a newspaper every day and the first part of the class was dedicated to discussing the trial and the process of trying a person. When I said circus I wasn't kidding. A crazy person did burst into the courtroom with a pellet gun and took shots at Hoffa. It was a pump up pellet gun and was actually capable of killing someone if they were hit in the right place. The gunman made the mistake of pumping the gun up the night before and part of the pressure escaped. It did have enough power to knock a chunk of wood from a plank in the floor though. Then there was a prominent Nashville attorney who went to prison and was disbarred for aiding Hoffa in his jury tampering scheme. John Jay Hooker, Sr was the lead prosecutor and his son and assistant John Jay, Jr. of Nashville launched a political career that nearly landed him in the Governors chair. Most people don't realize that because all that transpired and the enormous publicity it generated in Nashville the trial was moved to Chattanooga and Hoffa was convicted there. (sorry, I digress)

Another aspect that made the film interesting was the new technique used to age and disage (not really a word) the characters. While some makeup was used the aging process was done entirely after production by cgi I assume. Scorsese said It was only the second time the process was used in a movie and it was quite complicated. There is a bonus feature after the movie of DiNero, Pesci, Pacino and Scorsese discussing the making of the movie.

As far as the movie itself I liked everything about it. I thought some of the dialog was masterful, especially the meeting scene in Miami. The acting was very good and I suspect it will garner some awards nominations.

Having written all of the above nonsense I will say that I would prefer to disuse a movie, play or concert over a decent bottle of bourbon and the discussion should go well into the night and slide off topic many times. It's impossible to really discuss a movie on a forum. You need to be able to interrupt one another and point to the foolishness of their argument.

BTW. If you like mob movies and books and are ever in New York Umberto's Clam House is still open and operated by the same family. It's located at the same place in Little Italy. The prices aren't bad for NY and the food is excellent. I went there in the late 90s. Of course it may be a ****hole by now.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 6/10...Tarantino's weakest movie, but still beautiful in places. I feel like he had the idea for the ending but didn't really know how to get there.
The Irishman 9/10... so damn good. Pesci owns it. Could have consolidated the last third of the film but its Netflix letting Scorsese do what he wants. Just an amazing story.
Then That Follow 6/10 a southern gothic film with Walton Goggins that had so much unrealized potential. Great acting though.
The Lion King 5/10 unncessary remake, The Jungle book was way better imo
Ready or Not 7/10 fun little dark comedy/horror flick. It had some funny moments and served its premise well.

Watched the documentary on Aryton Senna on Netflix a couple of days ago. If you’re a race fan at all I think you’ll enjoy it. The guy was incredible

The Bikram Yoga doc on Netflix is pretty interesting, dude is a nut but made millions and millions. Great look at how power corrupts you.

The Bikram Yoga doc on Netflix is pretty interesting, dude is a nut but made millions and millions. Great look at how power corrupts you.

Check out the 30 for 30 pod series, if you haven't already. Much more thorough than the doc.

Really disappointed in the new Rambo movie. Didn’t feel like Rambo. Felt like a rip off of taken mixed with Home Alone. Could’ve been so much better. Sad.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Lol I mean you really expected it to be good?
Good is a relative term... I expected it to at least be in the same universe of the original Rambo movies of course. They didn't even play the Rambo theme music. This just felt like a money grab.

VN Store

Back