Most overrated

Oklahoma and Lincoln Riley are tremendously overrated I mean they don’t call them Chokelahoma for nothing and of course Jimbo

Oklahoma and Lincoln Riley are tremendously overrated I mean they don’t call them Chokelahoma for nothing and of course Jimbo
You can definitely argue that Lincoln Riley (and Bob Stoops before him) has had a lot of letdowns on big stages, but overrated is a strong word.

And the performance of their program throughout history is definitely not overrated - they've had multiple periods that were wildly successful (under Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer, Bob Stoops, and now Riley), which is more than a ton of other schools can say. 7 titles since 1950.

You can definitely argue that Lincoln Riley (and Bob Stoops before him) has had a lot of letdowns on big stages, but overrated is a strong word.

And the performance of their program throughout history is definitely not overrated - they've had multiple periods that were wildly successful (under Bud Wilkinson, Barry Switzer, Bob Stoops, and now Riley), which is more than a ton of other schools can say. 7 titles since 1950.
Oklahoma should have more than 1 title since 2000. Stoops should’ve won at least a couple more with all the talent he had

Oklahoma should have more than 1 title since 2000. Stoops should’ve won at least a couple more with all the talent he had
Never had a good enough defense. I haven't been quite able to figure out if that was his fault, or if that's a structural problem that Oklahoma (and the rest of the Big 12 schools for that matter) has to deal with in terms of not being able to recruit enough good athletes on the defensive side of the ball.

It's weird how somebody like Brent Venables could be there for so long and thought of as a good DC, but ultimately kind of an underachiever (Oklahoma fans weren't exactly torn up to see him leave), then go to Clemson, dramatically improve their defense, and become the hottest DC in all of college football.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
Meh, Kelly has actually down a damn good job in South Bend. Then when you factor in what he did at his three previous stops, it’s hard to see how he’s overrated.

I feel like he’s had the talent to win it all but always came up short when it mattered.

I feel like he’s had the talent to win it all but always came up short when it mattered.
He hasn't had the talent to win it all. ND isn't the easiest place to recruit to. His BCSNCG appearance and CFP appearance are really nice achievements, and he's only had one truly bad year there (2016).

There aren't many elite athletes, especially if they're from The South, who want to go to a small, private Catholic school in South Bend, IN.

Never had a good enough defense. I haven't been quite able to figure out if that was his fault, or if that's a structural problem that Oklahoma (and the rest of the Big 12 schools for that matter) has to deal with in terms of not being able to recruit enough good athletes on the defensive side of the ball.

It's weird how somebody like Brent Venables could be there for so long and thought of as a good DC, but ultimately kind of an underachiever (Oklahoma fans weren't exactly torn up to see him leave), then go to Clemson, dramatically improve their defense, and become the hottest DC in all of college football.
I wouldn't go as far to say OU fans weren't torn up over Veneables leaving. We'd love to have him back now and would have then too. One thing I do hold against Bob Stoops was bringing his brother back in and putting him in as co-DC with Veneables when Venables was holding his own just fine. Plus having an old DC like Bob looking over your shoulder the whole time probably wasn't the best.

The Big 12, by and large, relied too much on the "hope for the defense to get a stop and hope to get the ball last when they can't" for a long time. I think that's starting to change, well, hoping it's starting to change, with the addition of some quality Defensive Coordinators.

Agree on Michigan, Notre Dame, and Texas.

Disagree on Holtz. He succeeded nearly everywhere he went, including turning South Carolina from a doormat into a regular bowl team. He should be in the Hall of Fame for his work at Arkansas alone, as well as Notre Dame; all the rest is just gravy.

Strongly disagree on Frank Beamer and Kirk Ferentz.

Let's be honest, Iowa should be a cellar dweller. Not a strong brand. Not much of a recruiting base. They're only competitive because they've made good coaching hires historically. Ferentz could've done a lot more at a program with resources and competitive advantages.

Beamer took a crap VT program and came very close to turning it into a national title program with Michael Vick.

Though, back to Michigan ... the fact that Michigan's program is historically overrated is exactly why Jim Harbaugh is underrated as coach there. The perception that Michigan is an easy job is a very inaccurate one. Harbaugh, if anything, has been one of its best coaches historically; albeit, he's not been able to get over the hump yet.

You're kind of making my point for me. It would appear that way on paper, which makes their perpetual top 20 or better AP ranking even more impressive.

I've taken the liberty of finding their 247 Composite ranking since 2010. Compare this to their on-the-field performance, and I think you'll see it's pretty impressive:

2010: 46th (8th Big Ten)
2011: 44th (9th Big Ten)
2012: 65th (14th Big Ten)
2013: 40th (7th Big Ten)
2014: 32nd (5th Big Ten)
2015: 41st (6th Big Ten)
2016: 35th (6th Big Ten)
2017: 39th (7th Big Ten)
2018: 45th (9th Big Ten)
2019: 29th (6th Big Ten)

Since 2010, they've had the 8th best class in their conference on average. They are much, much better than 8th best in the Big Ten over that same period.

I already am on record as saying that I like Wisconsin's coach....he's a class guy....

But that doesn't change the fact that Wisconsin is ALWAYS OVER-RATED and RANKED TOO HIGH in the polls.....THEY LOST TO UNRANKED ILLINOIS THIS YEAR!!!!!!
They had 3 losses and still were ranked higher than Alabama and Auburn in the week 16 playoff committee polls!!! WHAT A JOKE!!!

I honestly can't deal with complete idiots who know nothing but STATS and RANKINGS on this site.
You are trying to convince me with RECRUITING RANKINGS??? How did that help them against Illinois????

Wisconsin plays in a WEAK conference against NOBODY...until OCTOBER rolls around...
So all they have to do is win a few games early...and everybody is rushing to declare them top 10 material...just like Notre Dame.

Wisconsin lost 4 games this year--- 1 to UNRANKED Illinois...and by 1 to the PAC-12 champ---which Auburn beat on a Neutral field with a true FR QB starting in his first game...
3 loss Wisconsin was ranked ahead of both Auburn and Alabama in the week 16 football playoff rankings.....complete stupidity!

Just who in the HELL qualifies as Wisconsin's quality win this year???? 15th ranked Iowa by 2.....18th ranked Michigan at home by 21????? (Whom Alabama happened to beat by 19 on a neutral site!!!!!).

SO--not just NO!...BUT HELL NO they're NOT IMPRESSIVE....

They play in a weak conference that the pollsters adore because of their SEC hatred....and rank them as high as possible when they NEVER WIN anything!

THE same can be said for OKLAHOMA.....they have won NOTHING since 2000....play in an extremely weak conference...barely beat Baylor....who UGA completely dominated and beat by double digits!!!

Last edited:
I already am on record as saying that I like Wisconsin's coach....he's a class guy....

But that doesn't change the fact that Wisconsin is ALWAYS OVER-RATED and RANKED TOO HIGH in the polls.....THEY LOST TO UNRANKED ILLINOIS THIS YEAR!!!!!!
They had 3 losses and still were ranked higher than Alabama and Auburn in the week 16 playoff committee polls!!! WHAT A JOKE!!!

I honestly can't deal with complete idiots who know nothing but STATS and RANKINGS on this site.
You are trying to convince me with RECRUITING RANKINGS??? How did that help them against Illinois????

Wisconsin plays in a WEAK conference against NOBODY...until OCTOBER rolls around...
So all they have to do is win a few games early...and everybody is rushing to declare them top 10 material...just like Notre Dame.

Wisconsin lost 4 games this year--- 1 to UNRANKED Illinois...and by 1 to the PAC-12 champ---which Auburn beat on a Neutral field with a true FR QB starting in his first game...
3 loss Wisconsin was ranked ahead of both Auburn and Alabama in the week 16 football playoff rankings.....complete stupidity!

Just who in the HELL qualifies as Wisconsin's quality win this year???? 15th ranked Iowa by 2.....18th ranked Michigan at home by 21????? (Whom Alabama happened to beat by 19 on a neutral site!!!!!).

They play in a weak conference that the pollsters adore because of their SEC hatred....and rank them as high as possible when they NEVER WIN anything!

THE same can be said for OKLAHOMA.....they have won NOTHING since 2000....play in an extremely weak conference...barely beat Baylor....who UGA completely dominated and beat by double digits!!!
76EC7A0D-7765-450B-BE37-87BC6498F3B6.gif

Mike you may want to step away from the computer for a bit. It’s just sports man, calm down.

Reactions: Lawrence Wright

Are you on cocaine?

I posted recruiting rankings because those say Wisconsin recruits at a level that should put them around the bottom third in their conference, yet they are consistently in the top third of their conference and a top 20 or so team nationally. Yeah, so they lost to Illinois this year...that's one game. Look at their on-field performance relative to the resources they have and their recruiting rankings over a longer period of time...like 10+ seasons. It's pretty good. Wisconsin "should be" one of those teams that just tries to make a bowl every year...they do much better than that.

I wouldn't be so quick to add Oklahoma to anyone's list on here as for "most overrated." Now, it can be argued we weren't exactly prepared for the playoffs this year, but we had the record to be there. Yes, we "backed into it" by having a relatively weak schedule, Utah imploding at the end of the year and making Baylor our ***** twice in one year. But who else would have given LSU a game this year that wasn't in the playoffs?

Lincoln Riley certainly isn't overrated either. I mean, he hasn't coached up two Heisman winners and another player to New York or anything. When it comes to offensive production, show me another coach who can compare stats and records with him. He's probably one of the brightest offensive minds in college football today and I'm glad Stoops hand picked him when he retired.

Now, if you want to talk about "overrated" or "underachieving" teams, Texas best be at the top of your lists. How many times have they been preseason ranked in the top 25 and ended up sucking a big egg by the time the year was over? I mean, some years they end up being preseason ranked and don't even make a bowl game.

Other teams "highly rated" that tend to trash the expectations are: Florida State, Texas, Michigan, Texas, most Pac-12 programs except Stanford and Oregon, Texas, Miami in recent years and Texas as well.

But when have they actually choked? Maybe the semifinal against UGA, but that was just two terrific teams playing an all time classic.

Agree on Michigan, Notre Dame, and Texas.

Disagree on Holtz. He succeeded nearly everywhere he went, including turning South Carolina from a doormat into a regular bowl team. He should be in the Hall of Fame for his work at Arkansas alone, as well as Notre Dame; all the rest is just gravy.

Strongly disagree on Frank Beamer and Kirk Ferentz.

Let's be honest, Iowa should be a cellar dweller. Not a strong brand. Not much of a recruiting base. They're only competitive because they've made good coaching hires historically. Ferentz could've done a lot more at a program with resources and competitive advantages.

Beamer took a crap VT program and came very close to turning it into a national title program with Michael Vick.

Though, back to Michigan ... the fact that Michigan's program is historically overrated is exactly why Jim Harbaugh is underrated as coach there. The perception that Michigan is an easy job is a very inaccurate one. Harbaugh, if anything, has been one of its best coaches historically; albeit, he's not been able to get over the hump yet.
The reason people say Ferentz is because a decade ago he was one of the highest paid coaches in the country and winning “only” 8 games a year. If you actually look at his results, he’s been a damn good coach. I mean people would never call Hayden Fry overrated, but Ferentz has the same winning percentage as Fry did at Iowa.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Are you on cocaine?

I posted recruiting rankings because those say Wisconsin recruits at a level that should put them around the bottom third in their conference, yet they are consistently in the top third of their conference and a top 20 or so team nationally. Yeah, so they lost to Illinois this year...that's one game. Look at their on-field performance relative to the resources they have and their recruiting rankings over a longer period of time...like 10+ seasons. It's pretty good. Wisconsin "should be" one of those teams that just tries to make a bowl every year...they do much better than that.

They finish better because they play NOBODY year in and year out in the Big 10....

You ASSUME that the recruiting rankings are dead-on accurate in order to prove your point....when we all know that they are not 100% accurate.
Look at Notre Dame's recruits---are they accurately rated??? No would be the correct answer--
How do we know?? Because they can't truly compete against teams with ACTUAL 5-star players!

As I said before....I LIKE Chryst!! He's an excellent coach and motivator for his team...and he DESERVES credit for getting all he can get from his players!!
I think THAT HE IS UNDER-RATED as a coach....and I do think he'll end up in the NFL as a coach some day.

But as a program--they're continually over-rated----JUST LIKE NOTRE DAME---because they almost never beat anyone that matters.....

The TRUE measure of evaluating a program is what happens on the field--a fact that you and I agree on.

However, since you have placed blind trust in recruiting rankings across the board--you have OVER-RATED Wisconsin's poor performances on the field.
Losses to Illinois and 2 point victories over mediocre teams--like IOWA and Michigan prove the point.

Wisconsin's victory over Michigan at HOME was considered a decent victory at the time...but Michigan ended up being a 4 loss team who still hasn't found a way to recruit that STUD QB.....
Michigan's loss by 19 points to a 2-loss Alabama team in the bowl game makes Wisconsin's victory even LESS IMPRESSIVE.....considering the level of competition in the Big 10.

OU made the playoffs more times than they beat the Vols since 2000.

Just sayin.

And how many playoff games have they actually won since 2000??

My point is that they're over-rated and over-ranked because they play in a VERY WEAK CONFERENCE!!
LSU beat them by 28 points this year....EDIT: 35 POINTS.....and this was one of OU's better teams over the last 10 years!

Florida, Auburn, Alabama, and UGA all played LSU tougher than OK did....
And OK got beaten by Kansas State who BARELY beat a 6-6 Miss. State team in Starkville this year....

JUST SAYIN.....

Hell, go put Florida, UGA, Auburn, or even the VOLS out in the Big 12 and see how many times OK makes the playoffs....

You guys ought to be thankful that aTm and Mizzou joined the SEC....
Mizzou would've worn you guys out last year fo sho

Last edited:

VN Store

Back