Most overrated

05_never_again

Let's get a good offseason discussion going. Who do you guys think are the most overrated programs teams/programs, coaches, and/or players of all-time? My list:

- Michigan (since 1950) and Bo Schembechler overall. Jim Harbaugh (just his tenure at Michigan). The absolute epitome of overrated. Just check this page and scroll down. There is a gigantic gap between the attention they receive and the "aura" around their program and what they've actually achieved. There is such a mythology surrounding Michigan football (e.g., they were playing the game before most other schools were so they have the most wins, the fight song, the uniforms that weren't unique at all at the time they were created - it's just that Michigan has never really changed them, etc.) that it clouds how good they actually are. List of Michigan Wolverines football seasons - Wikipedia

- Frank Beamer, once he had the program built up. He deserves a ton of credit for creating the program from nothing, and their fans quite rightly adore him for that, but what he did once it was built was kind of underwhelming.

- Notre Dame since the late 80s

- Lou Holtz's overall career

- Texas football overall. Similar to Michigan, they are just nowhere near as historically accomplished as you might think. If you look at media coverage/attention, you might think that Texas and their biggest rival (Oklahoma) are similarly accomplished, when in fact Oklahoma is a way more accomplished program. The entirety of their championship-level success is a couple years from Darrell Royal and Vince Young. That's it.

- Georgia football overall (same as Texas)

- Kirk Ferentz

Wouldn’t say UGA is overrated, but they consistently underachieve on the game’s biggest stage with some of the most talented teams in their program’s history. They’ve been deserving of their high rankings recently, but just can’t get over that natty hump.

Michigan and Texas are overrated. Michigan moreso than Texas.

Whenever Notre Dame appears good enough to be rated, they’re overrated...and it’s glorious to watch them get blasted against real competition.

Last edited:
PROGRAMS:

Ohio Stank, Wisconsin, Texas (one of the best recruiting bases out there), Oklahoma (since 2000), ND--since '89, VTech, Oregon, Boise State, Michigan (since '99).....USC.....Washington.....

COACH:

GENE CHIZIK....hands down.......... unpopular but true---Tee Martin....
MUSCHAMP

PLAYERS:

Jalen Hurts....Justin Fields.....Jake Fromme.....RB Richardson from Alabama....

PROGRAMS:

Ohio Stank, Wisconsin, Texas (one of the best recruiting bases out there), Oklahoma (since 2000), ND--since '89, VTech, Oregon, Boise State, Michigan (since '99).....USC.....Washington.....

COACH:

MUSCHAMP

PLAYERS:

You think Wisconsin is overrated? I've always thought they punched above their weight in a big way. Not surrounded by talent and never are high in the recruiting rankings, yet almost always are ranked.

Wouldn’t say UGA is overrated, but they consistently underachieve on the game’s biggest stage with some of the most talented teams in their program’s history. They’ve been deserving of their high rankings recently, but just can’t get over that natty hump.

Michigan and Texas are overrated. Michigan moreso than Texas.

Whenever Notre Dame appears good enough to be rated, they’re overrated...and it’s glorious to watch them get blasted against real competition.
Fair enough, they probably are better described as underachieving than overrated. But I still think a lot of their fans perpetually overrate the historical performance of their program; they haven't won as much as you'd think they have. You can make a pretty convincing argument that they are the 3rd best SEC program all-time (behind Alabama and Tennessee) and are probably the 4th or 5th best SEC program since 2000 (behind Alabama, Florida, LSU, perhaps Auburn). If you asked most Georgia fans that question today, they'd likely say there's Alabama at #1, then Georgia nipping right on their heels, then there's everybody else.

Agree on Wisconsin being underrated.

They are consistently better than they should be, given their recruiting base and talent level relative to schools like Georgia, Michigan and Texas.

I think Wisconsin is OVER-rated....
I like their coach....always have....and I like their style of FB...that RB is a STUD!

BUT, they are too slow in their back 7 on Defense...and they need a Burrow/Lawrence type of QB to be a real threat....

So, they beat up on lesser opponents in the WEAK-AZZ 10....and end up 5-1 or 6-1 at midseason and get a high ranking....

PROGRAMS:

COACH:

MUSCHAMP

PLAYERS:

Wow there are some doozies here. Gene Chizik is overrated? Who in the hell considers him any good? Ohio State and Oklahoma are overrated????? Muschamp? Again who considers him a good coach? Wisconsin? The program that never recruits a top 25 class, yet consistently churns out 10-win seasons?

I think Wisconsin is OVER-rated....
I like their coach....always have....and I like their style of FB...that RB is a STUD!

BUT, they are too slow in their back 7 on Defense...and they need a Burrow/Lawrence type of QB to be a real threat....

So, they beat up on lesser opponents in the WEAK-AZZ 10....and end up 5-1 or 6-1 at midseason and get a high ranking....
You're kind of making my point for me. It would appear that way on paper, which makes their perpetual top 20 or better AP ranking even more impressive.

I've taken the liberty of finding their 247 Composite ranking since 2010. Compare this to their on-the-field performance, and I think you'll see it's pretty impressive:

2010: 46th (8th Big Ten)
2011: 44th (9th Big Ten)
2012: 65th (14th Big Ten)
2013: 40th (7th Big Ten)
2014: 32nd (5th Big Ten)
2015: 41st (6th Big Ten)
2016: 35th (6th Big Ten)
2017: 39th (7th Big Ten)
2018: 45th (9th Big Ten)
2019: 29th (6th Big Ten)

Since 2010, they've had the 8th best class in their conference on average. They are much, much better than 8th best in the Big Ten over that same period.

Josh Allen's college career, both statistically and his inability to lift the performance of his entire team. Not exactly did his stats not jump off the page (playing in a G5 conference, mind you), but his teams weren't overly good when he was the starter. He didn't even win a conference championship when he was there. Just look at some of the individual games - they scored a ton of points against junk but when they played a P5 team (Nebraska, BYU, Iowa, Oregon) he was totally held in check. Wyoming started a Heisman campaign on behalf of him. That didn't stop, or even slow down, a hype train that ended with him being drafted 7th overall.

Most overrated teams over the last 6 years according to preseason and post season AP poll standing:
1. Florida St
2. Stanford
3. USC
4. Michigan St
5. Washington
6. Georgia
7. Alabama
8. LSU

Most underrated:
1. Clemson
2. Florida
3. Northwestern
4. Iowa
5. Wisconsin
6. Memphis
7. Utah
8. Navy

3 years (16,17,19) Auburn has been slightly underrated and 3 years massively overrated (14,15,18)

Most overrated teams over the last 6 years according to preseason and post season AP poll standing:
1. Florida St
2. Stanford
3. USC
4. Michigan St
5. Washington
6. Georgia
7. Alabama
8. LSU

Most underrated:
1. Clemson
2. Florida
3. Northwestern
4. Iowa
5. Wisconsin
6. Memphis
7. Utah
8. Navy
Michigan St seems like a good choice here and they are definitely trending in the wrong direction.

- Michigan (since 1950) and Bo Schembechler overall. Jim Harbaugh (just his tenure at Michigan). The absolute epitome of overrated. Just check this page and scroll down. There is a gigantic gap between the attention they receive and the "aura" around their program and what they've actually achieved. There is such a mythology surrounding Michigan football (e.g., they were playing the game before most other schools were so they have the most wins, the fight song, the uniforms that weren't unique at all at the time they were created - it's just that Michigan has never really changed them, etc.) that it clouds how good they actually are. List of Michigan Wolverines football seasons - Wikipedia

Me and Mahmoud still think Harbaugh can turn it around.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...d-ahmadinejad-tweets-about-michigan-football/

I totally agree about Notre Dame though.

I may be proven wrong in the future, but Jimbo Fisher is overrated and overvalued as a HC with A&M. That mojo he had at one time with FSU appears to be gone.
FSU is probably the most overrated team of the last 30 years. Only 5 seasons over that timespan have they improved on their preseason rank. 1992 (4 to 2) 2003 (13 to 11), 2008 (NR to 21), 2010 (20 to 17), 2013 (11 to 1).

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
3 years (16,17,19) Auburn has been slightly underrated and 3 years massively overrated (14,15,18)
That factoid right there probably sums up the inconsistency of that program better than anything else. They came out of nowhere to win the 2010 title and play for the 2013 title too (preseason #22 in 2010, unranked to start 2013 season).

Good rule of thumb with Auburn is that when they are ranked high in the preseason, they always disappoint.

FSU is probably the most overrated team of the last 30 years. Only 5 seasons over that timespan have they improved on their preseason rank. 1992 (4 to 2) 2003 (13 to 11), 2008 (NR to 21), 2010 (20 to 17), 2013 (11 to 1).
Good point. It wasn't until the last couple of years of Bowden's tenure that the pollsters figured out they weren't as good as the glory years. Bowden's early 2000s teams routinely had preseason top 10, sometimes top 5 rankings but went on to lose 3-5 games.

You guys already took all the good ones. I’m not going by stats, but more by annoyance. Miami.

Every single preseason it’s “Can (insert coaches name) bring that SWAG back to the U”?
”Look at player X bringing the Miami Swagger back.”
”Michael Irvin and Warren Sapp thinks this is the year Miami shows out after their opening weekend blowout of Stetson, showing a whole lot of swagger and breaking out the turnover chain.”

You get the idea.

Reactions: VolinMC
I may be proven wrong in the future, but Jimbo Fisher is overrated and overvalued as a HC with A&M. That mojo he had at one time with FSU appears to be gone.

He would be a number one for me. That's why I started a thread about A&M. I don't really consider Michigan overrated. Sports talk is generally pretty critical of Michigan these days (at least in the lanes I travel). Heard more than host say that they are done as a premiere program. Wouldn't consider Georgia overrated, because I don't think many people/media outlets give them a lot of credence. Notre Dame would be my number two. Texas is an interesting pick. They perpetually underachieve, and it's kind of hard to figure out. But going back to my question regarding A&M, A&M does the same. Athletes just aren't the same in that region or out West.

For coaches/figures:
1. Leach -- what has he done?
2. Kiffen -- what has he done?
(although it will be fun watching that train wreck game. I think the egg bowl is usually played the day after thanksgiving, so I'm gonna be eating my leftover casserole concoction and turkey sandwiches watching that for the near future.
3. Les -- he left a lot on the table and allowed Saban to come in and take his lunch
4. Stoops (Bob). He got the moniker of Big Game Bob, but people were calling it a historic hire if FSU would have reeled him in before they hired Norvell

Kinda hard when they were constantly preseason 1-2-3 for about 10 yrs......but the last 10 yrs, yes.

VN Store

Back