More upgrades have officially started inside Neyland

I don't know why I hate this so much, but I do. I hate the thought of losing the number of fans we can pack in. I hate the idea of people just leisurely strolling around a sports bar area in the North End Zone, unengaged during a game. I'm 6' 3'' and I usually have knees in my back, but I would rather be crammed in with everyone focused on the game. The only positive for me is the second video board, although I feel like they could have placed it where seats didn't have to be removed.

Agree. Why are we going backwards in capacity? I always thought the goal was to keep adding seats so we would overtake Michigan, Penn State or whichever has the most seats.

Agree. Why are we going backwards in capacity? I always thought the goal was to keep adding seats so we would overtake Michigan, Penn State or whichever has the most seats.
I think, with America aging, attendance is dropping everywhere and TV eyeballs are where the money is.

If you think about it, you support the SEC monetarily MORE if you're tuned in at home than if your butt is in a seat at Neyland.

The money isn't in the biggest stadium but the biggest TV draw.

I wish I could get one of the Bricks , it sucks living in Florida I can't get up there to try

@DeerPark12 hope all is well

Any info on what the new ”capacity” will be? Or how many total seats are being removed? Also, do you know what work will be done in Phases II & III of the renovations? TIA

Current seating capacity is around 98k now. They are refitting areas that currently house about 5,000 seats, removing sections in the upper deck for the party deck and reducing the number of seats in the area pictured. If I had to guess, I’d say seating capacity will be about 95k, and they’ll list total capacity at around 97k

Current seating capacity is around 98k now. They are refitting areas that currently house about 5,000 seats, removing sections in the upper deck for the party deck and reducing the number of seats in the area pictured. If I had to guess, I’d say seating capacity will be about 95k, and they’ll list total capacity at around 97k

Dang, losing 10k capacity in the last 20 years.

This sucks that was one of the oldest parts of the stadium. There goes so much history

As time goes by on any stadium, renovations happen. And I am sure the University's PR talking heads will be bragging on whatever is going on there, and they will be trying to convince us how it is for the better.

I am on board with yor thoughts. Unless that portion of the stadium was deteriorated to the point that this is needed? I prefer improvements to increase capacity, not to create socializing areas, or other things that really have nothing to do with football.

As time goes by on any stadium, renovations happen. And I am sure the University's PR talking heads will be bragging on whatever is going on there, and they will be trying to convince us how it is for the better.

I am on board with yor thoughts. Unless that portion of the stadium was deteriorated to the point that this is needed? I prefer improvements to increase capacity, not to create socializing areas, or other things that really have nothing to do with football.
Exactly. Neyland is about football not BSing around about stocks and bonds

They used to be dorms and classrooms in Neyland.
I’ve heard a few stories of it being a game to get the freshmen lost down there. Whether or not it’s true would have to be verified by one of our resident students/graduates
I once had an anthropology course which was attended in east side of Neyland (late 80’s early 90’s)

Heartbreaking. Decibal level will decrease with removal the bleachers for the woke and comfortable attendees.

The decibel level has been dropped for a while now. We can’t even fill Neyland anymore, but maybe a couple times per season at most.

Attended for year and a half majoring in girls and party. Went to work in construction for a few years. Hard work. Learned a lot. Started all over in jr college then married then hello UT for second time. Very focused. Engineering degree in two years and then MS IE while working in Tullahoma. Now I do my best to encourage young folks to get an engineering degree. I’m living proof you can do it and the retirement is a blessing I don’t deserve. Actually graduated 84 and 91 but Freak or whoever couldn’t update without starting all over...lol.
Haha ….. of the roughly 50 people that I know personally I would say the % that attended UT & graduated is maybe 10% & one of those people is my wife who is one of those odd birds that were responsible and did stuff like going to class . I obviously do not know you personally but I would say that those sharing your story would be even more rare .

Congrats on your success , it sounds as if the railroad business was very , very good to you 🤪

I think the days of jamming stadiums full week in and week out are pretty much over. Big games- yes. I’d go every football and basketball game if I didn’t live almost 4 hours away. I just think TV kills a lot of it

Reactions: murfvol1
Dig CAREFULLY
'The Dwarves tell no tale; but even as mithril was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction: they delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled, Durin's Bane.' (Gandalf)

Reactions: kcvols1
Shield-Watkins-field-construction-in-1920-1024x697.jpg

Honestly who cares how many seats we are losing. The days of capacity bragging rights are over. People's needs for entertainment have changed and the university is making the right call with evolving to meet those needs. The renovations are going to make a much more fun game experience. The additional Jumbotron and the standing room "sports bar" area below it are awesome. Makes me actually want to go to the games now.

Honestly who cares how many seats we are losing. The days of capacity bragging rights are over. People's needs for entertainment have changed and the university is making the right call with evolving to meet those needs. The renovations are going to make a much more fun game experience. The additional Jumbotron and the standing room "sports bar" area below it are awesome. Makes me actually want to go to the games now.
I don't really get the hand wringing over capacity either. It's been about 20 years since anybody pounded their chest over how many seats they had. I just looked at the rankings and this renovation will take us from 5th largest to the 8th largest. It's just a sign of the times and not that big of a deal.

@DeerPark12 hope all is well

Any info on what the new ”capacity” will be? Or how many total seats are being removed? Also, do you know what work will be done in Phases II & III of the renovations? TIA
I think the goal is to get capacity down to around 10K, so the most elite will not have to deal with the riff raff. (Winkers)

Reactions: lukeneyland

VN Store

Back