More upgrades have officially started inside Neyland

I don't know why I hate this so much, but I do. I hate the thought of losing the number of fans we can pack in. I hate the idea of people just leisurely strolling around a sports bar area in the North End Zone, unengaged during a game. I'm 6' 3'' and I usually have knees in my back, but I would rather be crammed in with everyone focused on the game. The only positive for me is the second video board, although I feel like they could have placed it where seats didn't have to be removed.

Theyre installed by UT at request and extra charge by donor, or seat buyer per season.

Would have been West side or South end zone i think

South side as athletes lived on East Side with some basketball players on South side...these are all now offices.

They used to be dorms and classrooms in Neyland.
I’ve heard a few stories of it being a game to get the freshmen lost down there. Whether or not it’s true would have to be verified by one of our resident students/graduates
The dorm rooms in the south endzone were used when I was there in the early 80s. A person that I work with now that was at UT at the same time actually stayed there.

I took biology in East Stadium Hall in the late 70s.

Anyone who has spent any meaningful time watching games from the East or south stands in the last 40 years, probably has no problem if they took a bulldozer to that half of the stadium and started from scratch.

When I was a grad student in Anthropology during the early '90s, our offices were in South Stadium Hall. Our classes also were held there, as well as East Stadium Hall and McClung Museum.
I worked in Contract Archaeology as an undergrad in the early 90s, and we had labs in East and South Stadium halls. Our “float” lab was even in one of the old dorm bathrooms. It was a fun place to work, as we got to see parts of the Stadium almost no one got to see.

When I was growing up, my buddy and I would occasionally luck into seats near midfield on the lower west side (the ones being removed in this picture). This was the elderly and wealthy alumni crowd who would applaud for the walking horse and the band and then remain silent for most of the game. Pretty sure they wondered who had the poor taste to give their tickets to two ruffians.

Reactions: gnm53108
I have a stupid question-I’ve been in that stadium and seen pictures of it while empty, and I always see the seat backs randomly throughout. Do people just leave them there in their permanent seats year round? Do they not get weathered, or stolen, or mashed up into rubble by construction equipment?

Those are usually rented out. At Air Force Academy the Air Force Sergeants Association rented them out to raise money for a good cause.

@DeerPark12 hope all is well

Any info on what the new ”capacity” will be? Or how many total seats are being removed? Also, do you know what work will be done in Phases II & III of the renovations? TIA

Hopefully they still room for the Top Flight and French's vending machines! Might come in handy again.

Reactions: kcvols1
Being in section PP I’m glad we’re getting a new video board to see. Hate that any seats are being removed though. But progress is being made in many ways in Neyland Stadium.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
They'd better damned well get busy on the baseball facility. It's LONG overdue and they've made Vitello some promises. Get on it.

JG’s letter to Pruitt, of what he had on him? And why he needed to start every game?🤔

97,500? Thats my guess. My buddy tells me a touch under 100,000
I think they'll announce it as 100,000. They're losing 1900 seats with the north jumbotron. Not sure how many they'll lose on the lower west with chairbacks but I would guess 1,000. So thats 102,455 minus 3,000 gives you 99,455. But in the north jumbo area they can sell standing room only so 545 tickets there gives you 100,000 capacity. I believe that number is important for the university to maintain.

people need to be as uncomfortable and packed in as tight as possible. But instead they are removing seats...sad day.

VN Store

Back