More Important: Starting Bailey or beating Vandy?

Which is more important for Pruitt to save his job?

• Play for the future with Bailey

Votes: 255 84.7%
  • Have to beat Vandy

Votes: 46 15.3%

• Total voters
This ?question reminds me of Political Pollsters spin. No win answer, you can make Headlines what you want the next day. Control the Spin.
SAD this is what we are seeing daily in our media.
Vote : Beat VANDY= Headlines "Vols not preparing for future, to H&&L with 2021"
Vote : Start Bailey = Headlines " Vols throw Seniors under the bus, just playing for future".

Last edited:
I don't know what is really going on. There is a full court press from "state run media" to tell us that Pruitt will not be fired under any circumstance but there are some sources saying a loss to Vandy puts everything on the table. Too me, it's unbelievable that we would keep a coach based on a win over what will be a 0-10 Vandy but it's possible. Assuming Fulmer is at the game, I'd watch for his reaction when the final whistle blows.

Reactions: tbh
I think most people here believe starting Bailey does give us the best chance to beat Vandy. But we will just hypothetically assume Pruitt is right, and JG gives us the best chance to win.

Which is more important for Pruitt's job: Playing for the future with Bailey, or stopping the bleeding with a win over Vandy?

The VQ guys said they believe Pruitt will start JG against Vandy because he believes he gives us the best chance to win the game, and Pruitt believes he HAS to win this game for his job. I just don't know about that. I think giving the powers at be hope for the future by playing Bailey is more important than beating Vandy.

What say you? Which is the most likely path to saving Pruitt's job?
The more I read and hear, the more convinced I am that Pruitt will be back even if he loses out. The bigger question is will JG return and will Maurer, Shrout and/or Bailet transfer out? TBH, I won't be surprised if JG returns and all 3 leave.

Reactions: tbh
Seasons a wash. Need to get ready for next year. That includes the young receivers as well.

Yes. Take advantage of no eligibility issues. Let Palmer and Jones and others come back next year with Bailey.

This season was a wash as a whole before the first kickoff due to Covid. It’s hard to say it was an equal season for all when schools in P5 conferences just had their season opener

The more I read and hear, the more convinced I am that Pruitt will be back even if he loses out. The bigger question is will JG return and will Maurer, Shrout and/or Bailet transfer out? TBH, I won't be surprised if JG returns and all 3 leave.

If JG stays, our QB room will not be the same

Reactions: CAVPUT
So which is it? People gripe about “throwing him to the wolves” when it comes to Bama, UGA, UF, etc. and now you’re saying we shouldn’t throw him in against Vandy? They are not the wolves.
I am in full support of JG being our starter this year and hopefully next.

JG is returning.

Start Bailey. Contrary to what Pruitt thinks, he probably actually gives us the best chance to win. A loss or a win vs. Vandy at this point really only determines what level of crap we are. We're crap either way, so play for the future.

How much practice do you need to hand off the football, Baileys passing is already better than jg. Starting jg give us the best chance to lose, his record proves it. Jg is number one in the nation with pic sixes this year. So if you are going to run the football primarily why start jg, he will screw up somewhere in the game and his mistakes are deadly to the team. Contrary to what Pruitt is saying Bailey gives us the best chance to win, look at our record with jg.

Start JG. Vandy is not the game to throw out a rookie QB! Program is down enough losing to Vandy could bury us.

Start Bailey, give him a full 4 quarters, and have the best chance to beat Vanderbilt. Add in the outside chance that maybe, just maybe, #2 gets the hint that his shelf life has expired and that problem solves itself with his electing to depart to enter the NFL begin a promising career in psychology, and voila...a win-win-win for Vol Nation!

I predict; because of Pruitt's love affair with jg; that jg stays on at ut in some form of coaching even after his playing days are over. If jg returns next year he will be the starter.

I predict; because of Pruitt's love affair with jg; that jg stays on at ut in some form of coaching even after his playing days are over. If jg returns next year he will be the starter.

Yup, sadly enough that's how I see it playing out as well. I hadn't even thought of #2 returning as a coach, though...oof.

JG will be back unless he puts his name in the portal and gets offers from some another division that will make him the starter.
Otherwise I see him coming back even if it means not being named the starter knowing Pruitt will make him at least #2 and get some playing time if Bailey messes up.
Maurer is going to transfer out. Shrout seems contempt with a clipboard so he'll stay and get his education. You have Salter coming in so that gives you 4 QB's

I'd like to see HB play the rest of the year, win or lose. This year is a wash; let's prepare for the future. Plus, Tennessee football isn't fun any more. Having HB behind the center would make it fun. The best part of the Auburn game was the few minutes that HB played.

BTW, I don't buy Pruitt's bit about not ruining HB by starting him too early. Chaney almost won a national championship with a true-freshman QB. With a decent running game, you don't have to put tons of pressure on your QB. Trust Chaney to manage things and maybe -- just maybe -- win a few games that you wouldn't have won otherwise.

The assumption that playing JG gives you the best chance to win is just not valid. I don’t think you can even have a serious conversation based on that hypothesis. We are not talking about merely an ineffective QB here. We are discussing a QB that is more likely than not to gift your opponent 7 to 14 points a game.

I think most people here believe starting Bailey does give us the best chance to beat Vandy. But we will just hypothetically assume Pruitt is right, and JG gives us the best chance to win.

Which is more important for Pruitt's job: Playing for the future with Bailey, or stopping the bleeding with a win over Vandy?

The VQ guys said they believe Pruitt will start JG against Vandy because he believes he gives us the best chance to win the game, and Pruitt believes he HAS to win this game for his job. I just don't know about that. I think giving the powers at be hope for the future by playing Bailey is more important than beating Vandy.

Well let's look at this honestly. According to CJP JG gives us the best chance to win. We have heard this all season and guess what we are NOT winning, so that logic is out the window. As for Bailey give the kid his shot and see what happens it can't be worse than another week of saying JG gives us the best chance and then dealing with another lose the next day.

Start JG. Vandy is not the game to throw out a rookie QB! Program is down enough losing to Vandy could bury us.
What makes you think LG can bring us a win his record says no. Bailey is the only QB the last month to produce a touchdown drive in the second half. So live a little and give the kid the ball I think many will be surprised at what happens.

I don't like where Tennessee is right now, any more than any other fan, but this season is over. We are competing for championships or it is a lost season. For this reason, we need to be doing everything we can to prepare for next season and the future.

I am not saying we need to intentionally lose our remaining games, but I don't think HB hurts our chances at this point. It is a no-brainer to play HB and let JG compete for 2nd string. JG will likely always struggle at the goal line. No need to let him fail any more.

I don't like where Tennessee is right now, any more than any other fan, but this season is over. We are competing for championships or it is a lost season. For this reason, we need to be doing everything we can to prepare for next season and the future.

I am not saying we need to intentionally lose our remaining games, but I don't think HB hurts our chances at this point. It is a no-brainer to play HB and let JG compete for 2nd string. JG will likely always struggle at the goal line. No need to let him fail any more.

Unfortunately, no-brainer describes our head coach. Based on the press conference this morning, I am convinced that he believes JG did fine at Auburn. That Pick-6? “Just one mistake,.... everyone makes mistakes.”

I am more and more convinced he is trying to be fired. He’s not happy and doesn’t think he can turn it around.

I would like to see Bailey play the whole game but Pruitt's job is not in jeopardy one way or the other

If it takes losing to Vandy for us to get a good HC then I hope we lose. However, I don’t think they would hire him at 2-8 so may as well beat those jerks.

Pruitt will get his lame duck year to hurt the program even more. We can have another season of no development and sink in the recruiting ranking as it becomes obvious he’s done at the end of 2021.

Even with Bailey, he should be able to get the win and be expected to get the win. If UT cant beat Vandy this year no matter whos QB, then there's more than just QB that needs to change.

Reactions: 1967vol

VN Store

Back