Monday Selection Show

I think Oregon State will be a tougher out than most of the posters here seem to assume. They have a terrific 6' 5" center, whom ESPN placed on their third-team, all-American list, and are among the best 3-point shooting teams in the country. (I would take their center over Russell in a heartbeat.). They are not nearly as athletic as the Lady Vols, but are solid defensively and have, as has been said numerous times on this board, a first-rate coach who always seems to get the most out of his roster. If the Lady Vols don't come ready to play, they won't make it out of Knoxville. And this is from a fan of their most hated rival (Oregon).

P.S. Speaking of Oregon connections, Jamie Nared's older sister is an assistant coach for the Ducks.

Go Ducks!

I think this is a very dangerous game for Tennessee should they match up. Rueck is one of the best coaches out there (he'd be top 3 on my wishlist if Holly stepped down) and he has good players even if they aren't uber athletic. Gulich is a handful inside and they can shoot the ball quite well. If there's one thing I've learned over the last 5-10 years it's that well coached teams are more likely to go the distance than talented teams with subpar coaching.

As Alabama has showed in the last 4 games with them,all teams who have a decent coach are dangerous.

Reactions: 3 people
Ok, i am going to assume you know we only have 3 guards...how the hell do we not put Westbrook on the floor? Have you watched Jackson pass the ball, or shot layups? Again, how the hell do we not play Westbrook?

Westbrook should be on the floor; the problem is that she apparently hasn't received the best coaching or a needed confidence boost from our coaches. Ever since she started struggling, mainly in the first Texas A&M game, our team has gone down hill, and it won't get better until Westbrook starts playing like she's capable. I think it hinders her to play point--she has the best jump shot of any of our guards, except maybe Jackson--she should shoot, along with Davis, of course, our best player (except her woeful defense at times).

Westbrook should be on the floor; the problem is that she apparently hasn't received the best coaching or a needed confidence boost from our coaches. Ever since she started struggling, mainly in the first Texas A&M game, our team has gone down hill, and it won't get better until Westbrook starts playing like she's capable. I think it hinders her to play point--she has the best jump shot of any of our guards, except maybe Jackson--she should shoot, along with Davis, of course, our best player (except her woeful defense at times).

No one is saying she should not be on the floor, What i`m saying is playing her at the point is hurting her and the team right now. If you notice teams now know if you put ball pressure on her she will more more than likely turn the ball over by making a bad pass or being stripped. Let me be clear she don`t handle the ball that well or have the quickness. don`t get me wrong i hope she turns this slump she has been in around. Remember you can blame Westbrook and Hayes problem on Holly and the coaching staff.

Thanks for the info on Baylor, BUBear!

Appreciate it!
De nada

:hi:

Edit: Baylor suited up two student trainers that received garbage time minutes in the first two BIG XII Tournament games. Wouldn't be surprised to see this against Grambling and then following game against Michigan/Northern Colorado winner.

Last edited:
No one is saying she should not be on the floor, What i`m saying is playing her at the point is hurting her and the team right now. If you notice teams now know if you put ball pressure on her she will more more than likely turn the ball over by making a bad pass or being stripped. Let me be clear she don`t handle the ball that well or have the quickness. don`t get me wrong i hope she turns this slump she has been in around. Remember you can blame Westbrook and Hayes problem on Holly and the coaching staff.

She is 6 feet tall and could easily play a Point-Forward at the high elbow...She'd be incredible in a high-post offense.

Reactions: 1 person
I found this interesting people were complaining about the LV reaction and when I watched the video they didn’t jump around and scream but they all clapped and even were in a smiling and in a jovial mode! So that little snap shot was not indicative of how the team really reacted. 😂

Attachments

• DD62FBF6-8A50-4D35-97B7-B7926B7A2D5C.jpg
    DD62FBF6-8A50-4D35-97B7-B7926B7A2D5C.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Can you even fathom this thought.

The UT lady Vols...S16 and out...as a BEST case scenario

We have two pre-season picks for All-SEC first team, Three MC-D AA's and a fourth that could have been for our incoming freshmen class. Peppered in with a speed-guard, a power-player, a gunner and Harris.

For me:
E8 minimum.
F4 expected.
Anything more than this..."cake"

I think this matchup with Baylor is by far the toughest S16 we could've faced.

Reactions: 6 people
They may not, but I do...and I'm also a Lady Vol fan, have been since I discovered women's college basketball three decades ago. I found both programs at the same time and loved their coaches and players; have continued to be a fan of both to this day. I hate that people think you can't respect and enjoy other programs, for whatever foolish reasons. You can and I do, happily.

Glad you found happiness, but I must disagree that a fan of one can truly be a fan of the other team. It's not possible unless there's no real depth to the fandom of one or both teams.

The term "fan" is from the word "fanatic" not casual observer or interested follower.

No offense intended, but I just don't agree.

If lady vols pass first round, no way they will pass second

What the hell are you even here for? Are you just a burner troll profile?

I agree, with Chatt on this one Seasick,,,I may be hard on the staff, but I don't post things like predictions of failure. That is totally a "troll'ish" thing to do.

Reactions: 2 people
I think Baylor will get tripped up on their way to the S16,,,Just a feeling

I agree, Baylor has to get there first, just like the Lady Vols. I think their weak non-conference schedule will show in the tournament.

Different when you're playing a good team that you don't play two or three times in a season like Texas. Kim always seems to have her kids motivated though.

The Grambling game will be over shortly after the opening tip. That leaves Michigan or Northern Colorado (in Waco). Who you got?

Michigan has got some tools for the upset, a great senior leader who scores in bunches and 6'5" Hallie Thome holding down the paint scoring at a decent clip as well.

With the inside out game and an aggressive post they could get the BU bigs in foul trouble. I think it will be a decent game.

Man, I hope you're feeling is right!

There's been too many years where you could just go through the brackets and check 1 through 16 knowing absolutely that they would advance. teams are a little more even nowadays so the possibility of upsets grow each year in women's basketball as long as it keeps progressing.

There's been too many years where you could just go through the brackets and check 1 through 16 knowing absolutely that they would advance. teams are a little more even nowadays so the possibility of upsets grow each year in women's basketball as long as it keeps progressing.

As someone who played the espn Bracket Challenge for years and years and years, I COULD NOT DISAGREE MORE!!! :) :) :)

There have always been crazy upsets in wbb. How often can you even predict the SECT? But I'll grant you, it does get very predictable when Con is in the title game. ... But they don't always get there, do they?

I think this matchup with Baylor is by far the toughest S16 we could've faced.

Tennessee has been on this long quest to get back to the Summitt, and Mulkey is troll on the bridge that keeps blasting us away. It's fitting the LVs have to go through Baylor to finally be able to say Tennessee is back! GLV!!

Tennessee has been on this long quest to get back to the Summitt, and Mulkey is troll on the bridge that keeps blasting us away. It's fitting the LVs have to go through Baylor to finally be able to say Tennessee is back! GLV!!

I hope the Lady Vols win, but there's nothing that can happen in this tournament, including the million to 1 shot they win it, that would make me think "Tennessee is back". The entire regular season counts and can't be washed away based on a few games in the tournament. The Lady Vols were the #7 seed in the SEC tournament and proved they deserved it by losing in the round of 8. They did not have a shot at the SEC regular season or tournament titles.

To me, Tennessee is "back" when we are back to being the favorite in the SEC and every graduating Senior has played in at least 1 final 4.

Massey Predictions for Tennessee

Round 1 (Liberty) 97.34%
Round 2 (prob Oregon State) 64.98%
Reg Semi (prob Baylor) 6.17%
Reg Final (prob Louisville) 2.15%
Semi 0.15%
Champ 0.04%

VN Store

Back