Milton named starter

It's the only aspect of his game that he does consistently well. SEC DCs will dare Heupel to try and rely on those throws alone and play close to the line and force him to throw long and more likely than not, errant.
Maybe he hits them! We will see!GB🍊

Heupel is an expert on QB play. Lots of our fans are apparently experts on watching BAD QB play. So they think that’s the same thing.

It’s entirely possible he was handed a flaming bag of crap at the QB position. His 3 most experienced QBs transferred, 2 of them before he was even named coach. He inherited Hooker, who was a better fit than “can’t miss” Bailey. With about zero QBs on the market, he grabs Milton on short notice. We can agree it hasn’t worked out for the whopping 6 quarters he’s played. But I give coach credit for trying to turn chicken crap into chicken salad. If there is someone who can turn this into something serviceable, it’s Heupel.
Best comment yet

The fanbase has lost its mind over this QB battle.
I agree. I have my opinions and it interests me, but who cares? We know both players are simply average and this 2021 is not going to be a good season.
It really doesn't matter to me who trots out there (now, it will matter to me if they STAY out there if they suck). Still losing this game by double digits.

We just need our guys to run faster and run about 10 yards beyond where Milton is suppose to throw it and we are fine.

Or we need to line Milton up in punt formation and always have it long snapped to him so he has to throw farther.

This could become our thing. the punt formation 4 wide Hail Mary route.

Reactions: Vfl2407
I agree. I have my opinions and it interests me, but who cares? We know both players are simply average and this 2021 is not going to be a good season.
It really doesn't matter to me who trots out there (now, it will matter to me if they STAY out there if they suck). Still losing this game by double digits.
So wait... you'd have me believe 5* hearts don't beat 5* players!?

It's highly possible we see a fair amount of Milton and Hooker. With that said, people need to chill. Milton has a quicker release and a much stronger arm, but no deep/touch pass accuracy. Hooker does add a very solid running threat that will give any defense a fit when implemented at the right time, but has had a few crucial turnovers. We're working with what we've got, and that's all that can be expected this year.

The fanbase has lost its mind over this QB battle.
Hard to not to when you have 1 QB completing over 70% of his passes while the other is at 51%. But yet it’s obvious completing passing is not a requirement of this offense

He's not turning anyone into anything during the season. He's not solving Milton's multi-year accuracy problems. He's not fixing Hooker's game-day anxiety issues. He's not catching Baily up from missing a spring and being coached by idiots his Freshman year. Not with 20 hours/week of team activities. The only option he has is to come up with a game plan that one of them can run effectively, and right now, in spite of his ball-security issues, that's Hooker.
Look for both QBs to play this week anyway.

Hard to not to when you have 1 QB completing over 70% of his passes while the other is at 51%. But yet it’s obvious completing passing is not a requirement of this offense
Bailey cannot stretch the d with either his arm or his legs. The OL has enough problems without facing a D that can blitz and squat on the shorter routes. It’ll stifle whatever’s left of the running game. In 2 of our 3 games, the QB led the team in rushing, so our RBs aren’t exactly setting the world on fire.

Heupel won’t make it four years here. He’s proving to be as stubborn and stupid as Pruitt
There’s no obvious choice here. 2 transfers and a guy recruited over by 2 staffs. If not for the distance, We would’ve gotten Haynes King. Chaney preferred him (and Salters) to Bailey.

If we'd scored when we had the opportunities in the first half, those mistakes would have been negligible considering the defense held them to 14 in the second half and we matched them.
The game was lost in the 2nd quarter. It’s hard to give up 27 points without the turnovers. I’m not ecstatic they are trotting Milton out, I don’t consider the coach a fool for doing so.

I have first hand experience watching a middle school coach at practice extolling the virtues to several parents/boosters of "how fast" a kid was he had placed at RB. Meanwhile watching them running plays it was obvious he had at least 2 kids on his OL faster than his "very fast" RB. Internally shaking my head and keeping it to myself.

Coaches at all levels sell themselves for a variety of reasons and biases about how great and/or poor some players are. Harbaugh misjudged Milton. Jones & Pruitt misjudged JG. They make millions coaching football so the chorus of "the coaches are paid big bucks to decide who the best players are they know what they're doing" is BS. Good coaches place and use their talented players correctly. Mediocre coaches do a mediocre job at it. Poor coaches do a poor job at it. The jury is out on Heupel but if one of his QBs goes elsewhere and is successful and he put a failed Michigan QB over one he had on his bench you decide for yourselves how that is going to play out. All that previous QB whisperer won't mean much while UT is losing I will submit. I am on the record that if Heupel doesn't win a game this year he will have my support for year two. But if his teams are playing bad fundamental football he needs to be gone end of season 2022. At this point, I suspect we'll see a "new and improved" Milton trotted out to start season 2022 as UT's QB.

VN Store

Back