Michigan job?

The longer this goes without Heupel getting a raise the more concerned I get. This can’t be a good sign. Hell Vandy could offer the man more money tomorrow. 2 weeks ago I had complete confidence White would get it handled. Now I’m starting to question. Is he trying to wait another year? This doesn’t look good in my opinion. Maybe it’s just my bvs resurfacing 🙄
There’s nothing to be concerned about. He’ll get a new deal soon.

Reactions: VFLBerg
The longer this goes without Heupel getting a raise the more concerned I get. This can’t be a good sign. Hell Vandy could offer the man more money tomorrow. 2 weeks ago I had complete confidence White would get it handled. Now I’m starting to question. Is he trying to wait another year? This doesn’t look good in my opinion. Maybe it’s just my bvs resurfacing 🙄
Money that would normally go to the Vols is probably being saved for the Titan's new stadium.

What is the rush for a new contract and raise? It will happen, patience VN. CJH isn’t going anywhere. I truly believe he loves being here. This is Gods country.
You can believe whatever you want. But you don't know anything. That's not a shot at you. None of us do. Pay the man what he's earned.

Reactions: grandjason
Michigan is a dying state with terrible weather and a program that was ready to fire Harbaugh two years ago before he finally pulled one off against Ohio State. We have better everything than Michigan.

It’s a gorgeous state just like Tenn. I can’t wait to retire to the East Tn mountains but until I do this place is just fine. Go Vols!!

It’s a gorgeous state just like Tenn. I can’t wait to retire to the East Tn mountains but until I do this place is just fine. Go Vols!!
Yeah, much of wifes family is from MI. There are beautiful lakes everywhere, and not just the Great lakes. The People are nice and down to earth. At least the ones I've come into contact with.
An awful lot of those auto workers moved there from the south last century. Like today they were going where the job was.
I'll take MI summers and TN winters,

[Michigan] is a gorgeous state just like Tenn. I can’t wait to retire to the East Tn mountains but until I do this place is just fine. Go Vols!!
1673972532420.jpeg

1673972626387.jpeg

images

1673972603038.jpeg
We have different definitions of 'gorgeous.' Starting with, Tennesseans are by and large ignorant of the phrase "lake effect snow." :)

lol, Go Vols!

I don't live in Memphis. Just like I don't live in Michigan.

I live where it's gorgeous. :)
That is the point, Detroit sucks, but otherwise MI is a beautiful state.
Memphis sucks, but otherwise TN is a beautiful state.
East TN is certainly more pretty than west TN. At least to me.

We used to live in Johnson City, and a lady from Iowa moved next door. She said she didn't care for the mountains because it made her feel "closed in". To each their own.

That is the point, Detroit sucks, but otherwise MI is a beautiful state.

To each their own.
1674050309560.jpeg

Snow is fun the day it arrives. It's fun the next day, too. If you cross-country ski, that part could be fun. But after about a week, it gets old. After a few weeks, it's a drag. After a few months, a lot of folks are willing to NEVER SEE SNOW AGAIN. Heh.

I lived in upstate New York four years, and Germany three years. I'll never willingly live again any place where you're miserable and shut-in four months out of the year, and where even in the middle of summer it can be below 40 degrees when you wake up.

To each their own, indeed. You keep the "beauty" of Michigan. I'll stay happily in gorgeous Tennessee.

Go Vols!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
View attachment 531577

View attachment 531579

images

View attachment 531578
We have different definitions of 'gorgeous.' Starting with, Tennesseans are by and large ignorant of the phrase "lake effect snow." :)

lol, Go Vols!
Misperception. Do we need to post similar pictures from Memphis or even parts of Chattanooga?

Some people like snow. Some don't.

I haven't lived in Michigan but have visited. We liked the Michigan Dunes a lot. It isn't the hellish place some seem to think. And outside of basically Detroit metro... the people are good, conservative Midwestern people.

Reactions: Vol4life2
Misperception. Do we need to post similar pictures from Memphis or even parts of Chattanooga?

Some people like snow. Some don't.

I haven't lived in Michigan but have visited. We liked the Michigan Dunes a lot. It isn't the hellish place some seem to think. And outside of basically Detroit metro... the people are good, conservative Midwestern people.
Flint says hi, and invites you to come have a drink of water.

It's not just Detroit that is blighted. Much of the rust belt is on down times, from Pennsylvania and upstate New York on across to Michigan.

Towns and cities in Michigan are shrinking. Negative population growth. Between 1970 and 2022, Detroit LOST a half-million people. Over those same 50+ years, Memphis--the worst city in Tennessee--grew by a half-million. Folks are bailing on one, but coming to the other. I'd say Memphis wins hands-down, based on the votes of a half-million people, if you want to compare "worst to worst."

And this is my problem with the statement "Michigan is gorgeous." You have to put in all the caveats. "Sure, just don't live in Detroit." "Okay, or in Flint." "Okay, not Lansing, either." "Okay, maybe not in winter unless you like shoveling snow and being shut in," "Okay, not...."

There are no caveats to living in Tennessee, other than "stay out of Memphis and Bucksnort." There are 95 counties, and 93.8 of them are absolutely gorgeous. Year round.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Yeah. Do you really think that's the only place that's had water quality issues or experienced the decay of decades of corrupt leadership? I haven't lived in Flint... but I have lived near Atlanta.

It's not just Detroit that is blighted. Much of the rust belt is on down times, from Pennsylvania and upstate New York on across to Michigan.
Some of the urban areas for sure. But that's like judging Tennessee by Memphis or Missouri by St Louis or Oregon by Portland. I know a few people from Michigan and northern Indiana. One is from the U.P. There are some really great places and people in these states.

Towns and cities in Michigan are shrinking. Negative population growth. Between 1970 and 2022, Detroit LOST a half-million people. Over those same 50+ years, Memphis--the worst city in Tennessee--grew by a half-million.
That doesn't mean Michigan is correctly represented by the pictures you posted or the generalization you made. The decline of the auto industry was a function of things Michigan could control and other things it could not. Unions, poor management, and government regulation made producing cars and components in Michigan and other states unsustainable. But they also found themselves like many others competing with effective slave labor in other countries.

The decline of the auto industry in the north involved a loss of people and money. However in some respects other areas of all of those states got better by some of the more corrupt influences losing power. Detroit has lagged Pittsburgh and may be a lost cause. But again the generalizations aren't accurate. FWIW, the Saturn experiment in TN didn't work out any better, did it?

Folks are bailing on one, but coming to the other. I'd say Memphis wins hands-down, based on the votes of a half-million people, if you want to compare "worst to worst."
The context was the pictures you posted. In general, TN is a better business environment than Michigan. TN has a fairly long history I believe as a Right to Work state. That mass exodus you mentioned resulted in a shift in the Michigan legislature. They became a right to work state 10 years ago because the "good" and socially/economically healthy areas of the state were able to override the veto of a Dem governor. I believe they were only able to enact a law that impacted private sector workers. And where do we continue to see problems in that state, particularly Detroit? Government and public sectors.

And this is my problem with the statement "Michigan is gorgeous." You have to put in all the caveats.
Actually, it is the "caveats" that you are pointing to. Michigan has a lot of "gorgeous" areas. Do a Google search of the Upper Peninsula. Or just "Michigan". Parts of the state are hilly. They have a very long shoreline on the Great Lakes. Again, just not fair to judge how "pretty" a state is by its rundown urban areas.

Cropland isn't particularly "pretty" in the winter but neither are low woody hills. Few things are prettier than winter wheat when it first starts to green up in the spring or corn fields in June. Michigan is also a good place for apple orchards and one of the best placed on the planet for blueberries. You are free to "not" like things like that or find them "gorgeous"... I do.

"Sure, just don't live in Detroit." "Okay, or in Flint." "Okay, not Lansing, either." "Okay, maybe not in winter unless you like shoveling snow and being shut in," "Okay, not...."
I don't care to live in any city- north, south, east, west. They're all for the most part ugly. Guys who like cold and snow would say you are stupid for not appreciating snow mobiles and ice fishing. You are just making generalizations that aren't correct.

There are no caveats to living in Tennessee, other than "stay out of Memphis and Bucksnort." There are 95 counties, and 93.8 of them are absolutely gorgeous. Year round.

Go Vols!
There are A LOT of people who would disagree. The 10 Worst Places to Live in Tennessee

And being "gorgeous" is as subjective as you can be about anything. I like TN. I grew up in the Smokies and definitely like some parts of TN better than others. But among other things there isn't a ton of diversity. Check out some of the Michigan shoreline pictures. Those are beautiful places that TN doesn't have.

I could give a lot of reasons someone wouldn't want to move from TN to MI... and maybe some the other way. But no place is all bad while other places are all good.

I don't think Heupel would leave but the pictures you posted likely wouldn't have much at all to do with his decision. He's from SD and may miss the snow. To him, Michigan wouldn't even be cold.

Last edited:

Towns and cities in Michigan are shrinking. Negative population growth. Between 1970 and 2022, Detroit LOST a half-million people. Over those same 50+ years, Memphis--the worst city in Tennessee--grew by a half-million. Folks are bailing on one, but coming to the other. I'd say Memphis wins hands-down, based on the votes of a half-million people, if you want to compare "worst to worst."

And this is my problem with the statement "Michigan is gorgeous." You have to put in all the caveats. "Sure, just don't live in Detroit." "Okay, or in Flint." "Okay, not Lansing, either." "Okay, maybe not in winter unless you like shoveling snow and being shut in," "Okay, not...."

Go Vols!
Or Knoxville, Chattanooga, Nashville, and Jackson. Soon to be,add Murfreesboro.
I know I'm in the minority, but I can't handle the heat and humidity here in the summers. I head for Traverse City, MI.
The people I know there have snow blowers or there neighbors do.
We also have relatives in Owosso, near lansing Average snowfall is 35". They have the equipment to keep the roads cleared. Hardly "shut in".

VN Store

Back