'20 MI OL Justin Rogers (Kroger Field, folks)

I don’t care if he did exploit the rules of that class. The point still stands - a coach with a losing record signed the 7th ranked class in the country. At this point, I’d be thrilled with a top 10 class, so I’m not even setting the bar quite so high as to get 5th to 7th, which really should be the expectation with the resources sunk into recruiting staff and facilities.
With the hits Auburn and UFs classes took we would be number 10. Assuming they didnt pick up anyone new.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
What are those "data points"?
Both good/bad:
-Came in off of an absolute cluster of a coaching search (No doubt this affects the perception of a program, although Pruitt’s was much worse)
-Inherited a program with a neglected “infrastructure” (Dooley’s burned bridges and laziness in recruiting, Butch’s S&C)
-Untalented roster
-“Year zero” recruiting class that was patchwork but had some early contributors and gems (Sutton, Dobbs/Taylor, Thompson, et al)
-A couple of games in year 1 that were really encouraging (I don’t say “wins” there because I count UGA 2013 in that boat)
-A couple of games in year 1 that were mindnumbingly bad
-No first year bowl when we really should have been in one
-A good recruiting class for each’s first full cycle (debate quality vs. quantity all you want, both were good and arguments can be made that both were exactly what we thought we needed at the time)

Obviously, some of these would apply to any coach coming in as opposed to just Butch and Pruitt. These are just similar characteristics of the first 18 months or so on the job, and do not represent a conclusion in any fashion. It is also not scientific, just based on my own observations. Some of them may mean nothing in each coach’s success or lack thereof, and some may mean a bit more than nothing. But as I said last night, it’s much more analogous than Fulmer coming in to replace Majors, Riley coming in to replace Stoops, Kirby coming in to replace Richt, etc.

And not everything is the same. Pruitt’s staff is much better. The administration seems much more conducive to success now. Pruitt is looking at a much easier Year 2 schedule than Butch was. Pruitt isn’t a dweeb.

Reactions: Dirty Vol
as for my take being lazy, i don't really see how that's possible....my take is simple.....but lazy? eh. my take is it is going to take more time than we want, and i've given many reasons why i think so, and how we got to this point for it to take more time, as has Charger and several others.....

whether the take is "show me" or "you suck until...", neither requires any thought, or any context.....it's basically we've sucked, so until somone shows me different, we suck. how is that not lazy? lol. it's also true by the way lol.
I don’t know, it’s the same as calling every initial position taken on any subject lazy. Is it lazy that I haven’t moved my opinion one way or the other on whether Pruitt will succeed here or not? If it is, I’m comfortable with that.

I don’t know, it’s the same as calling every initial position taken on any subject lazy. Is it lazy that I haven’t moved my opinion one way or the other on whether Pruitt will succeed here or not? If it is, I’m comfortable with that.
no, that's not lazy. it's pragmatic. and that's fine....my opninon hans't changed either. we just really don't know what it should be til we see it.

the only thing true right now headed in to year 2 is that he has the same opporutnities in front of him that Butch had. we know what he did with this opporunities, it's yet to be seen what CJP does. i'm just willing to find out w/out the need for the ultimatumish takes that seem to be flying around lately. i've seen enough so far that tells me that time is what's most needed....

i'm more in to the context of how/why things are getting done. sounds like you might be at least a lean that way to some extent. far too many are just focused on the result...the class ranking, the record, how many stars etc....and yeah, it matters. but it doesn't matter terribly much RIGHT NOW to me. things keep going in the direciton i think they're going, then that stuff will matter a lot more later.

just not right now....we're not there yet.

Both good/bad:
-Came in off of an absolute cluster of a coaching search (No doubt this affects the perception of a program, although Pruitt’s was much worse)
-Inherited a program with a neglected “infrastructure” (Dooley’s burned bridges and laziness in recruiting, Butch’s S&C)
-Untalented roster
-“Year zero” recruiting class that was patchwork but had some early contributors and gems (Sutton, Dobbs/Taylor, Thompson, et al)
-A couple of games in year 1 that were really encouraging (I don’t say “wins” there because I count UGA 2013 in that boat)
-A couple of games in year 1 that were mindnumbingly bad
-No first year bowl when we really should have been in one
-A good recruiting class for each’s first full cycle (debate quality vs. quantity all you want, both were good and arguments can be made that both were exactly what we thought we needed at the time)

Obviously, some of these would apply to any coach coming in as opposed to just Butch and Pruitt. These are just similar characteristics of the first 18 months or so on the job, and do not represent a conclusion in any fashion. It is also not scientific, just based on my own observations. Some of them may mean nothing in each coach’s success or lack thereof, and some may mean a bit more than nothing. But as I said last night, it’s much more analogous than Fulmer coming in to replace Majors, Riley coming in to replace Stoops, Kirby coming in to replace Richt, etc.

And not everything is the same. Pruitt’s staff is much better. The administration seems much more conducive to success now. Pruitt is looking at a much easier Year 2 schedule than Butch was. Pruitt isn’t a dweeb.
Untalented roster but should have made a bowl. Got ya

I just want to hear Atlanta Vol tell us this weeks meeting has gone perfect and we are going to get this guy. Otherwise we've been out bid, and need to pivot and get all these instate kids inside the top 100, on board quickly.

Reactions: yourstruly23
I just want to hear Atlanta Vol tell us this weeks meeting has gone perfect and we are going to get this guy. Otherwise we've been out bid, and need to pivot and get all these instate kids inside the top 100, on board quickly.
Sometimes it’s about who pushes their chips in last.

Reactions: VolDC
No one is getting this guy until he enrolls. No matter what he does in May this is the type of recruit that will drag this out until the ink is dry and he's in class.

No one is getting this guy until he enrolls. No matter what he does in May this is the type of recruit that will drag this out until the ink is dry and he's in class.
kinda agree. i think we're probably better off in the long run that he doesn't pick us next week lol.

Let him pick KY. No way he signs there after the football season they will have. They wont come close to 10 wins
I can't imagine a scenario in which Kentucky finishes higher than us in the SEC. No Josh Allen, no Benny Snell, plus two more players drafted out of the secondary. It will be a big step back for them this year.

I can't imagine a scenario in which Kentucky finishes higher than us in the SEC. No Josh Allen, no Benny Snell, plus two more players drafted out of the secondary. It will be a big step back for them this year.
UK probably wins seven at a min. this year. Soft as butter OOC schedule with UL down. Only four road games and one of those is at Vandy, plus Arkansas at home. That's probably six wins right there.

Reactions: Catbone
No they aren't
I mean...they probably do get at least 6 wins, if not 7 this year. Volsforlife8 is right. Their OOC schedule is Toledo, Eastern Michigan, UT-Martin, and Louisville. Should be 4 wins there. They play Arkansas and @MS State as their West opponents. Probably splitting those, but getting both isn't out of the question. They probably beat Vandy and could easily beat either SC or UF, too. I say 6-6 is very likely and 7-5 or 8-4 is even possible. Only for sure losses I see are UGA and Missouri. Probably losing to UT, too.

Reactions: Bigworm87
Justin Rogers commits to _____ next week?
Simonton said:
Lean UK ... but no matter where Rogers picks next weekend his recruitment will not be over. UT is still in this.
Hubbs said:
He likes everywhere he visits. UGA gets the last visit so that wouldn't surprise me. I don't think Rogers' recruitment is over after next week.

no, that's not lazy. it's pragmatic. and that's fine....my opninon hans't changed either. we just really don't know what it should be til we see it.

the only thing true right now headed in to year 2 is that he has the same opporutnities in front of him that Butch had. we know what he did with this opporunities, it's yet to be seen what CJP does. i'm just willing to find out w/out the need for the ultimatumish takes that seem to be flying around lately. i've seen enough so far that tells me that time is what's most needed....

i'm more in to the context of how/why things are getting done. sounds like you might be at least a lean that way to some extent. far too many are just focused on the result...the class ranking, the record, how many stars etc....and yeah, it matters. but it doesn't matter terribly much RIGHT NOW to me. things keep going in the direciton i think they're going, then that stuff will matter a lot more later.

just not right now....we're not there yet.

I agree with most of this. The problem with most fans is they've been through this wait and see period far too often recently only to be burned. They have ignored that inner voice that tells them something's off and trusted the process. And been burned time and again. They've overcorrected and now see any chink in the armor or setback as proof positive of impending failure.

Can't blame then really. I catch myself doing this and have to temper my judgements. There is some reason to be concerned but there isn't enough data to make a real judgement yet.

I agree with most of this. The problem with most fans is they've been through this wait and see period far too often recently only to be burned. They have ignored that inner voice that tells them something's off and trusted the process. And been burned time and again. They've overcorrected and now see any chink in the armor or setback as proof positive of impending failure.

Can't blame then really. I catch myself doing this and have to temper my judgements. There is some reason to be concerned but there isn't enough data to make a real judgement yet.
i think the thing that is different for me, and why my anxiety level is waaaay lower than it has been is that we've had a ton of change.

most notably the on field staff and the athletic dept administration. there's really no arguing about this staff. on paper, it's fantastic. and for the first time a what seems to be a very long time, the athletic department and football program are on the same page in regards to goals, standards, expectations, and direction.

my patiences level, or level of apathy, has changed as a result. i'm willing to be more patient right now. this isn't a dave hart, mike hamilton run ship anymore. Money is being applied to the resources that matter most........PEOPLE.

the results aren't here yet. but we knew two years ago the results were going to suffer, so again, while i hate losing to Vandy...again....i can take what happened last year with the grain of salt.

i feel pretty good about the progress we should make this year. and i'm not going to call it one way or the other on this class right now.

i will say if we land a class anywhere near the quality of the last, that at least gives us some great foundational stuff to build on.

it also probabl means that it might be year 4 before you can look at the schedule and reasonably expect 9+ wins based on the schedule, talent level, depth development etc.....

so while "the brand" tennessee has done nothing to warrant any real faith, i do think the people that are over there now have as good a shot as we've had in the past 10 years to get us there.....and even though we've had to wade thru the past 10 years, and that sucks for us as fans, that's baggage we bring with us. not this staff.....they'll either help us unload it, or add to it. time will tell. lol.

i think the thing that is different for me, and why my anxiety level is waaaay lower than it has been is that we've had a ton of change.

most notably the on field staff and the athletic dept administration. there's really no arguing about this staff. on paper, it's fantastic. and for the first time a what seems to be a very long time, the athletic department and football program are on the same page in regards to goals, standards, expectations, and direction.

my patiences level, or level of apathy, has changed as a result. i'm willing to be more patient right now. this isn't a dave hart, mike hamilton run ship anymore. Money is being applied to the resources that matter most........PEOPLE.

the results aren't here yet. but we knew two years ago the results were going to suffer, so again, while i hate losing to Vandy...again....i can take what happened last year with the grain of salt.

i feel pretty good about the progress we should make this year. and i'm not going to call it one way or the other on this class right now.

i will say if we land a class anywhere near the quality of the last, that at least gives us some great foundational stuff to build on.

it also probabl means that it might be year 4 before you can look at the schedule and reasonably expect 9+ wins based on the schedule, talent level, depth development etc.....

so while "the brand" tennessee has done nothing to warrant any real faith, i do think the people that are over there now have as good a shot as we've had in the past 10 years to get us there.....and even though we've had to wade thru the past 10 years, and that sucks for us as fans, that's baggage we bring with us. not this staff.....they'll either help us unload it, or add to it. time will tell. lol.

The staff today is the best its been in a LONG time..and Pruitt will push it to become better. IF the man is given the time UT will return as a top-tier program. But tbat six week/five game obstacle course in 2018 probably added a year to the rebuild.

Second hint of the day. Quit bumping their thread if that is your intention.

I will do as I please but thanks for the concern. Also by your logic, we should also get rid of the ignore poster feature.

VN Store

Back