'20 MI OL Justin Rogers (Kroger Field, folks)

Yep, I feel the same.

Pruitt needs to prove he can handle teams like UK, Vandy, S. Carolina, and Missouri with what he’s got before he makes the leap and starts recruiting on par with teams like UGA.

We have number one recruiting budget in all the land. Some of best facilities. Great tradition. Some ace recruiters. Yes he needs to win. But there's no excuses.

We have number one recruiting budget in all the land. Some of best facilities. Great tradition. Some ace recruiters. Yes he needs to win. But there's no excuses.
Don't care how good the staff is, if kids want to play for a team that's been winning, the staff can't do a damn thing about that.

We had the highest rated class of any team with a losing record. We lost ground to the winners, plain as can be.
No matter how much we downplay it, it's right there. Winning matters.

Don't care how good the staff is, if kids want to play for a team that's been winning, the staff can't do a damn thing about that.

We had the highest rated class of any team with a losing record. We lost ground to the winners, plain as can be.

I said winning matters, or is imp. But we arent going to stop pursuing top players just bc Bama bangs in Athens has a good squad. There's no excuse to be where are currently in 2019.

thought Pruitt did a nice job last year. think we missed on two in state DL.

I said winning matters, or is imp. But we arent going to stop pursuing top players just bc Bama bangs in Athens has a good squad. There's no excuse to be where are currently in 2019.

thought Pruitt did a nice job last year. think we missed on two in state DL.
Excuse/reason/fact.
They didn't all forget how to recruit since last cycle, something(s) else happened. A losing record and getting embarrassed by lame, mediocre teams is the biggest one imo.

The draft makes an easy negative to plant in a kids mind also. Not a deep thinking kid, given our staff's history with the draft but for some of them. Develop and win, we'll get ours.

Reactions: SweetasSoda

The 2018 team had some good games, but a number of the players went belly up at the finish. I'd have to use some harsh language to say what I think about them, and that is just the way it is. The quitters really hurt us.

Lol. Winning trumps all what you just said. Look at the top recruiting teams. They dont go 5-7 or 6-6. Its not excuses but fact. If you dont win at a high level, you dont recruit at a high level.

Lol. Winning trumps all what you just said. Look at the top recruiting teams. They dont go 5-7 or 6-6. Its not excuses but fact. If you dont win at a high level, you dont recruit at a high level.
Butch Jones had the 7th ranked recruiting class with the “best staff in football” following the 5-7 2013 season. If he can do it, a group of coaches who ostensibly have legitimate recruiting chops should be able to equal or better that.

Butch Jones had the 7th ranked recruiting class with the “best staff in football” following the 5-7 2013 season. If he can do it, a group of coaches who ostensibly have legitimate recruiting chops should be able to equal or better that.
Or seeing 2 top 10 classes come to TN and us still not even win our division, is just something else this staff has to overcome when selling UT.

Lol. Do you even know why he had a class rated that high? Because he exploited the insane rules to the max. You cannot sign 32 guys to a class now. Plus, Pruitts class was higher rated. Also you have to factor in the early signing period. So sorry but its just not that easy as it was a few years ago.

Or seeing 2 top 10 classes come to TN and us still not even win our division, is just something else this staff has to overcome when selling UT.
I doubt that’s a huge issue with a different staff and an age group I doubt has any idea we had two top 10 classes 5 years ago. Even if other staffs bring it up, that’s kind of a softball.

Lol. Do you even know why he had a class rated that high? Because he exploited the insane rules to the max. You cannot sign 32 guys to a class now. Plus, Pruitts class was higher rated. Also you have to factor in the early signing period. So sorry but its just not that easy as it was a few years ago.
I don’t care if he did exploit the rules of that class. The point still stands - a coach with a losing record signed the 7th ranked class in the country. At this point, I’d be thrilled with a top 10 class, so I’m not even setting the bar quite so high as to get 5th to 7th, which really should be the expectation with the resources sunk into recruiting staff and facilities.

I don’t care if he did exploit the rules of that class. The point still stands - a coach with a losing record signed the 7th ranked class in the country. At this point, I’d be thrilled with a top 10 class, so I’m not even setting the bar quite so high as to get 5th to 7th, which really should be the expectation with the resources sunk into recruiting staff and facilities.
That highly-rated 2014 class you're in love with had an average rating of 89.5 on 247Sports. Pruitt's first full class of his own coming off an 4-8 and 5-7 season in the 2019 class had an average rating of 90.5 with 9 fewer commits/signees.

That highly-rated 2014 class you're in love with had an average rating of 89.5 on 247Sports. Pruitt's first full class of his own coming off an 4-8 and 5-7 season in the 2019 class had an average rating of 90.5 with 9 fewer commits/signees.
So no reason for the momemtum to slow down then. We’re on the same page.

So no reason for the momemtum to slow down then. We’re on the same page.
Not really at all, no. My point was that Butch's was rated higher compared to other teams because they signed 9 more guys. Pruitt's has more bang for the buck. He's actually doing better than Butch did already just based on that alone.

Yet another coaching failure, more years of no draftees, Shiano fiasco, another sub 50% season...all of it has accumulated damage. It's a different problem now. We're gonna have to walk before running. Suggest you become ok with it, because it will take time, no matter how often and loudly you proclaim the staff to be failing.

I doubt that’s a huge issue with a different staff and an age group I doubt has any idea we had two top 10 classes 5 years ago. Even if other staffs bring it up, that’s kind of a softball.
5 years ago and an age group that doesn't remember.
Kinda says it all. The longer we go not being a relevant program, the harder it gets. We had that moment when kids were fully aware of TN and we just needed a few players to get back.

Now, I'm reading recruits say " I didn't know much about TN but I've been trying to learn. They have a lot of tradition an used to be really good"
Yeah, it matters.

5 years ago and an age group that doesn't remember.
Kinda says it all. The longer we go not being a relevant program, the harder it gets. We had that moment when kids were fully aware of TN and we just needed a few players to get back.

Now, I'm reading recruits say " I didn't know much about TN but I've been trying to learn. They have a lot of tradition an used to be really good"
Yeah, it matters.
We’ve been in that boat for awhile though, and have had highly ranked classes. That challenge is nothing new.

Kids want to know they re gonna be apart of success and then get drafted.

You re not gonna get a ton of one without the other. And if that changes, it will take some time to do and wont happen with one or 2 classes or one or 2 seasons.

Reactions: chargervol
Yet another coaching failure, more years of no draftees, Shiano fiasco, another sub 50% season...all of it has accumulated damage. It's a different problem now. We're gonna have to walk before running. Suggest you become ok with it, because it will take time, no matter how often and loudly you proclaim the staff to be failing.
I’m not proclaiming the staff to be failing yet. I’m also not proclaiming them to be succeeding.

Reactions: onevol74
No, but you are establishing a performance standard based on Butch, and arguing that the starting conditions are the same. They aren't
Well, then no starting conditions between two coaches will ever be the same. Butch and Pruitt have had comparable enough starts that you can have a conversation about the similarities - coming in as, like, the fifth choice after an embarrassing search, a roster lacking talent, identical first year records. It’s not like we’re comparing and contrasting the starts Fulmer and Majors had.

VN Store

Back