Maurer vs. Shrout vs. JG (merged)

So now, JG just has to look better than Maurer in his second college outing, which happened to be the swamp? The PFF-graded 2nd best returning SEC quarterback just has to outdo a true freshman to be successful now? Don't want to talk QBR? Or who lead the only scoring drive for UT? Don't want to talk interception numbers?

All that time stewing this weekend, and that's the best you came up with?

son-i-am-5ca633.jpg
I would hope all Vol fans would be stewing about the loss. I'm very busy. Just looked on here real quick.

I don't care who the qb is. It is obvious that best one is JG though.

He literally hit guy in the hands in the endzone and they dropped a td. Not his fault.

Have a good day buddy.

I would hope all Vol fans would be stewing about the loss. I'm very busy. Just looked on here real quick.

He literally hit guy in the hands in the endzone and they dropped a td. Not his fault.

Have a good day buddy.

giphy.gif

Have a good day buddy.

Now breakdown his second interception

I,unlike most of you, have a career and family. I rarely post on weekends no matter the outcome.

Nothing has changed. JG still looked way better than Maurer. He had a td dropped. The team wasn't up to the challenge. Sorry I don't have time to debate losers all day.

Lol no.

JG absolutely did not look better than Mauer. JG had the benefit of playing a defense that had to guess whether we going to run or pass and he routinely missed receivers, rifled passes to receivers less than 10 yards away, and made bad reads. Mauer was inaccurate on the 3 deep balls he threw and got 2 balls tipped, but he also had to play from a 17 point hole against a defense that sold out to defend the pass. The Int was a bad decision though combined with a good play by the DB. Still Mauer lead us to our only score.

Reactions: aRmo
I,unlike most of you, have a career and family. I rarely post on weekends no matter the outcome.
Yeah... that didn't keep you from majoring on this place all summer when you were lecturing everyone that JG didn't have the problems that this new season has CLEARLY demonstrated he has.

Nothing has changed.
You could have stopped there... and it would have been the truest statement you've made on this board. Nothing has changed except they tried to give him more to handle... and he couldn't take it.

JG still looked way better than Maurer.
He's a 4th year player that has gotten the vast majority of the number 1 reps AND has had the offense customized to what the coaches thought he could do well.... of course that hasn't worked out very well.

The truth is exactly what I've told you for MONTHS. He can't read D's. He doesn't make good, timely decisions. He doesn't throw guys open. Mentally, he just isn't a good QB.

He had a td dropped.
Yeah. And on the play prior he threw the ball right at a UF defender in what could have been an INT. If he had just put a little bit of air under it and led the TE to the sideline... its a TD.

The team wasn't up to the challenge. Sorry I don't have time to debate losers all day.
Oh, its the "team" when they lose and his "stats" suck. He was protected. UF loaded up to stop the run and basically dared JG to beat them. Once again... he couldn't.

Losers? You are a coward and a liar. Sorry but that's what you have to label someone who cannot have the gumption to admit when he's wrong... and continues to do something repeatedly after declaring he will never do it again. And remember, you earned these reminders. You called me a "liar" when at worst it was a difference of opinion... but now I've been proven right about much of the stuff you said I was lying about.

Apologize and admit I was right and I'll let you off the hook for saying you weren't going to respond to me anymore... then responding to me repeatedly.

Why don't you just have the courage to say you were wrong? Be a man for once.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pacer92
Yes. You are literally a cultist when it comes to JG. You started when Dormady beat him out fair and square... reminder, QD is now sitting the pine for Central Michigan. Let that sink in... the guy who beat JG out can't start for a mid-major.

It isn't "obvious" he's the best one. It is "obvious" he's the only one who has had a chance to play and develop. He's hit his ceiling. We've seen his "best" and it isn't good enough. Every time they try to give him more responsibility or challenge him to take more risks... he gets much worse. That's why his INT's are up.

We haven't seen the "best" from Maurer or Shrout. Maybe neither is the answer. We just have overwhelming evidence now that JG is not the answer.

Both guys played like Freshmen playing an SEC defense for the first time.... the thing is only one is a Freshman.

Y'all know King is a troll who gets off on flaming people. There's zero percent chance he believes the crap he writes.

Why feed the troll?

How are we pronouncing Maurer? I know I’ve changed my pronunciation of Guarantano to really emphasize the ‘NO’ at the end.
Is it ‘More Err’ , ‘Mour-Er’?

I really think JG’s days are numbered as the starter and leader of this team. The guy just doesn’t have the intangibles to be a good QB...some mental, some physical. All teams realize this...and have for awhile. Not knocking the kid...but, the picture has been painted.

If I were Pruitt, I would have a personal sit down with him, explain to him that regardless of experience, stats, popularity....the QB position is now wide open to any of the 3....giving all 3 equal reps during this buy week.

Let’s face it...we aren’t beating UGA, no way no how..

I’d start one of the freshmen...sending a message to the team...creating some hope for the future, and possibly finding a playmaker at the QB position.

Reactions: joevol33
D'Eriq King from Houston might be a graduate transfer to look out for. He threw for almost 3000 yards, with 36 TD and only 6 INTs, plus another 600+ yards rushing with 14 more TDs. We need him truthfully. It would also allow us to tailor an offense more suited for Maurer and Kasom Hill (JK on him, I thought he was a DT, but he run for -15 yards on 40 attempts). Harrison Bailey is also pretty athletic. JG can go to Rutgers, Shrout probably also leaves but you never know.

Is he going to learn how to pass?
I can be a jerk if you like and remind you he’s much more accurate than JG was coming out of Hs. But I won’t.... just wondering if you think he’s better than JG in 1 year if they stick with him?

Maybe. I'd try Maurer first for a couple of reasons. One is mobility. The other is moxie and confidence. The O needs someone who can lead and pull them together. They need a QB that gets them to believe or at least isn't so lacking in confidence that he drags everyone down.

I'd be good with Shrout too though if it comes to that. You're not wrong about him throwing the ball. He's decisive. He throws with a lot of confidence. He'll make mistakes if given the chance... but we can still hope his ceiling is higher than JG's.

I think both guys given time and coaching can be effective passers.
as a passer, shrout is further a long

I can be a jerk if you like and remind you he’s much more accurate than JG was coming out of Hs. But I won’t.... just wondering if you think he’s better than JG in 1 year if they stick with him?
Maybe by his Jr year. He is far behind as a passer.

By then Bailey will be starting.

Open the quarterback competition, and exclude JG. Allow Mauer and Shrout to battle it out during the Open week. Regardless of who wins the competition, play both quarterbacks, and allow them to fight it out, the rest of the season. At least at the end of the season, we'll have 3 quarterbacks on the roster with experience, if you include the Maryland transfer, plus Harrison Bailey entering the room. JG should transfer.

Reactions: awaitingawin
Maybe by his Jr year. He is far behind as a passer.
Simply not true. Once again you have no clue what you are talking about. Both Maurer and Shrout instinctively try to deliver the ball on time. Their mistakes are in execution... not decision making. What JG is doing apparently can't be fixed and it prevents him from being an EFFECTIVE passer. He can't make the plays that are available making the passing O very easy to defend... make the whole O easy to defend.

Both of the young guys are behind only in terms of opportunity to play and reps with the 1's. One or both could lack the ability to become effective passers. One or both may have ceilings much higher than JG.

UT's choice is between a "known" that isn't good and two unknowns.

By then Bailey will be starting.
I hope Bailey is great. But all we have is his HS performances which may or may not translate to college. JG's didn't. Worley's didn't.

Is he going to learn how to pass?
Maybe/maybe not. But it seems pretty apparent that JG is not going to learn how to read D's and deliver the ball on time to the correct guy. Like I told you for most of the last year, they protected him for the previous two years. This summer both he and Chaney said they were going to give him more of the O and more responsibility. The results... have revealed he just can't play mentally at a winning level.

Maybe/maybe not. But it seems pretty apparent that JG is not going to learn how to read D's and deliver the ball on time to the correct guy. Like I told you for most of the last year, they protected him for the previous two years. This summer both he and Chaney said they were going to give him more of the O and more responsibility. The results... have revealed he just can't play mentally at a winning level.
Yea, yea, yea. He has shown he can do all of that already.

The other two look and are far behind. They definitely have not shown anywhere near the ability to read a d or make the correct pass on time.

JG is better than the other two. We will see what happens when Bailey arrives.

It's almost like he was so used to playing under pressure now that the O-line has improved he has time and thinks to much about what he's doing. Whatever the reason, I agree he needs to be benched.

VN Store

Back