Maurer vs. Shrout vs. JG (merged)

You really should stop talking so much. You obviously know very little about any of them.
Some would pay more heed to your unsolicited advice if you hadn’t exposed your overwhelming bias towards ONE in basically every post since you joined. Save me the search by poster...have you ever posted on any other subject?

Some would pay more heed to your unsolicited advice if you hadn’t exposed your overwhelming bias towards ONE in basically every post since you joined. Save me the search by poster...have you ever posted on any other subject?
Many times. But as I’ve explained before I’m all about qbs. So qb talk sparks my interest more than other subjects.

Both of these young QB's need more snaps in practice and playing time in the near future, after Bama. Even if you recruit over them they need to be able to step in as backups next season. One thing became apparent right away, they are elusive in the pocket. JG looks like he is wearing concrete shoes back there and almost never gives himself a 2nd chance by escaping the pocket.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Have you looked at JT Shrout's high school stats?

Maxpreps: JT Shrout

He threw 27 TDs and 25 INTs in senior year according to MaxPreps with a 51% completion rate. Also not that difficult to see footage of these guys in high school. Basically, Shrout was a gunslinger that scored a lot of points for both teams. He's still floating a lot of balls from what we've seen of him here at UT, which is why JG beat him out for the starting job.

Maurer was a much better HS QB than Shrout, but played for a 2-8 team. Nevertheless, his Senior year was insanely good. Basically, he was a 1-man offensive machine. He still seems to have some of that same "go it alone" mentality; even though he now when he has an arsenal of WRs at his disposal. I think Maurer will eventually adjust and be a very good college QB, but he's not there yet.

So it's "pick your poison" for us right now. We have 2 guys that aren't ready yet and 1 guy who is rapidly regressing.

I favor starting Shrout against Georgia to see what we have with him. However, between the 2, I think Maurer is the one more likely to pan out long-term. Regardless, I do not envy Pruitt and Chaney right now; there are no "good" decisions here.

Anyone remember the Brent Schaefer vs Erik Ainge discussions? Both played to my recollection and Ainge won out. How about Peyton vs Brandon Stewart? Play them both and see who has the light come on for them. Tn has been here before but it seems the coach is unwilling to have competition. All these young guys made some mistakes but man we had some fun watching them grow. Remember the Ainge meltdown at LSU and Rick Clausen taking over?

You obviously didn’t read what I was responding to. When someone refers to a qb as a “noodle arm” THAT is questioning said qbs arm strength. So the first part of your statement is false.

And yes I seen that as well. The one down the left sideline I think to Calloway(?) looked like the ball slipped out of his hand a little the way it fluttered out of bounds but I’m not convinced he wasn’t trying to throw it away on purpose anyway due to the coverage. The one down the right sideline to Palmer looked like a throw away as well. Did you see the safety coming over? Maybe he did too and decided to throw it where he did. Deep ball accuracy is one of his strengths. Idk why we can give JG 3 years to get it right but some of us are having a hard time giving Maurer even a reasonable amount of time without being critical of his every mistake we already know he’s going to make.
It appeared to me that throw to Palmer was made exactly right because he knew what Palmer could do, that he could go get it which means he threw him open. Play both of them sit JG and let’s enjoy the growth and not criticize the mistakes of our young guys. Casey Clausen didn’t have the strongest arm but he was a very good college qb. Time for the future players to learn.

It appeared to me that throw to Palmer was made exactly right because he knew what Palmer could do, that he could go get it which means he threw him open. Play both of them sit JG and let’s enjoy the growth and not criticize the mistakes of our young guys. Casey Clausen didn’t have the strongest arm but he was a very good college qb. Time for the future players to learn.
I’m with you. And That was an impressive throw. The window on that one was about the size of a watermelon.

You obviously didn’t read what I was responding to. When someone refers to a qb as a “noodle arm” THAT is questioning said qbs arm strength. So the first part of your statement is false.

And yes I seen that as well. The one down the left sideline I think to Calloway(?) looked like the ball slipped out of his hand a little the way it fluttered out of bounds but I’m not convinced he wasn’t trying to throw it away on purpose anyway due to the coverage. The one down the right sideline to Palmer looked like a throw away as well. Did you see the safety coming over? Maybe he did too and decided to throw it where he did. Deep ball accuracy is one of his strengths. Idk why we can give JG 3 years to get it right but some of us are having a hard time giving Maurer even a reasonable amount of time without being critical of his every mistake we already know he’s going to make.
Inside joke during his recruitment. Before your time...unless you were posting under another screen name. 😏

Inside joke during his recruitment. Before your time...unless you were posting under another screen name. 😏
I was here. That was mills that started that in the recruiting thread. Or someone else did and mills took off with it

JG improved last year. His numbers are even better this year despite the losses.

He is the best with the highest ceiling. That is why he plays.
What do you guys think.... Did he disappear because he wasn't a Vol fan to start with or has he changed his screen name to avoid looking like a fool?

against chat a lot of his passes were drops. he looked the most accurate and like he reads defense vs concept the best of the three. yeah, we all know maurer can run, but after that he's basically the same as JG. we've seen both JG (more than enough) and maurer twice now to know its not time for either. Shrout doesnt hold the ball and made good reads in his short stint vs chat. i know it was chat, but we saw maurer and jg both vs florida today and it stunk. why not shrout?
Maybe. I'd try Maurer first for a couple of reasons. One is mobility. The other is moxie and confidence. The O needs someone who can lead and pull them together. They need a QB that gets them to believe or at least isn't so lacking in confidence that he drags everyone down.

I'd be good with Shrout too though if it comes to that. You're not wrong about him throwing the ball. He's decisive. He throws with a lot of confidence. He'll make mistakes if given the chance... but we can still hope his ceiling is higher than JG's.

I think both guys given time and coaching can be effective passers.

Mauer and Shrout (in limited action) have played like the freshmen they are but have been no worse than JG. At least Mauer actually sustained a drive for more than 4 plays. The season is a lost cause and in my opinion the only way to inspire a little hope is to go with Mauer in the first half against UGA, and Shrout in the 2nd half. Forget the score, just see who performs better. Then go with that guy the rest of the year and let them take their lumps. Whoever it is, they will enter 2020 much more prepared than if they just get spot duty behind an ineffective JG. JMO!
Gators were trying to keep us in the game in the first half...but they failed. I’ll cope with a quarterback who at least THREATENS to make the other team pay for a turnover.

JTs problem is consistency. We heard about it in practice reports and we saw in the Chattanooga game. He lets some balls really sail and those are the ones that get picked off. To his credit he did seem to process the field very quickly. (In direct contrast to JG)
This needs to be quoted several times for emphasis.

What do you guys think.... Did he disappear because he wasn't a Vol fan to start with or has he changed his screen name to avoid looking like a fool?
He’s hurting...even compared to the rest of us. Gloating under these circumstances isn’t good on you...sjt.

I just think at this point even he realizes there’s no defense. Not that he’s not crunching numbers to create one.

I just think at this point even he realizes there’s no defense. Not that he’s not crunching numbers to create one.
My wager is that he doesn't come back or else assumes a new name. I've seen the latter happen repeatedly in my time on the board. I've got the same screen name I had when I started... and have had to eat some words along the way.

He’s hurting...even compared to the rest of us. Gloating under these circumstances isn’t good on you...sjt.
I haven't disliked many people on this board. On the whole, it seems a little silly to dislike people based on a message board persona.

I do not like him or Dobbs4Heisman. They may be one and the same.

Yeah. Maybe you are right... but I think he deserves a healthy dose of "I told you so".

At the same time, I do feel bad for JG. He's been through a lot. From a human standpoint, you want him to have a Lifetime Movie ending... It just doesn't look like it will happen.

My wager is that he doesn't come back or else assumes a new name. I've seen the latter happen repeatedly in my time on the board. I've got the same screen name I had when I started... and have had to eat some words along the way.
Ehhh. JG hasn’t done him any favors that’s for sure. And truth is he is right about a lot of his points in the present moment. JG is our best QB “right now”. But give Maurer or Shrout the same 3 years to learn and both will be night and day.

I haven't disliked many people on this board. On the whole, it seems a little silly to dislike people based on a message board persona.

I do not like him or Dobbs4Heisman. They may be one and the same.

Yeah. Maybe you are right... but I think he deserves a healthy dose of "I told you so".

At the same time, I do feel bad for JG. He's been through a lot. From a human standpoint, you want him to have a Lifetime Movie ending... It just doesn't look like it will happen.

Honestly, I just wanted to see the mental gymnastics he would employ to try to spin Saturday.

I,unlike most of you, have a career and family. I rarely post on weekends no matter the outcome.

Nothing has changed. JG still looked way better than Maurer. He had a td dropped. The team wasn't up to the challenge. Sorry I don't have time to debate losers all day.

I,unlike most of you, have a career and family. I rarely post on weekends no matter the outcome.

Nothing has changed. JG still looked way better than Maurer. He had a td dropped. The team wasn't up to the challenge. Sorry I don't have time to debate losers all day.

So now, JG just has to look better than Maurer in his second college outing, which happened to be the swamp? The PFF-graded 2nd best returning SEC quarterback just has to outdo a true freshman to be successful now? Don't want to talk QBR? Or who lead the only scoring drive for UT? Don't want to talk interception numbers?

All that time stewing this weekend, and that's the best you came up with?

son-i-am-5ca633.jpg

VN Store

Back