Maurer vs. Shrout vs. JG (merged)

Shrout cannot move like Mauer and had bad bad habit of throwing INTs.. If anything use Mauer like LSU did Matt Mauck back in 2001.

against chat a lot of his passes were drops. he looked the most accurate and like he reads defense vs concept the best of the three. yeah, we all know maurer can run, but after that he's basically the same as JG. we've seen both JG (more than enough) and maurer twice now to know its not time for either. Shrout doesnt hold the ball and made good reads in his short stint vs chat. i know it was chat, but we saw maurer and jg both vs florida today and it stunk. why not shrout?
JJ and the wildcat is our best option at this point. I'm not joking. JJ can carry this team on his back to at least a couple wins. JG couldn't hold JJ's jockstrap.

give shrout his chance, then go with ur plan if shrout doesnt workout
He may get his chance at this point.

Our best chance of winning ball games is with JJ at QB. Run a QB rotation if necessary but you've got to radically change the offense at this point, starting with scheme then with QB. Shrout is a gunslinger but isnt ready for the big boys yet. Then again neither was Dobbs but he still got thrown in.

I realize this idea will never come to fruition (it would likely have a negative impact on our 2020 QB Bailye). But I truly believe it's our best chance to win some of the remaining games on our schedule. JJ or bust.

Reactions: lexkyvol
LOL! There we go!!! We are so bad that "the favorite player on out team is no longer the backup QB". We've fallen so far, that now the 3rd stringer is our favorite.

Caveat. It looked to me like Shrout had a pretty live arm v the Mocs.

Last edited:
I think Mauer will end up being the guy in the back half of the season. JG played his cards...and if it’s black jack, had a couple of deuces...at least that’s what it smells like.

Reactions: DaUndergroundMan
JTs problem is consistency. We heard about it in practice reports and we saw in the Chattanooga game. He lets some balls really sail and those are the ones that get picked off. To his credit he did seem to process the field very quickly. (In direct contrast to JG)

Last edited:
Mauer and Shrout (in limited action) have played like the freshmen they are but have been no worse than JG. At least Mauer actually sustained a drive for more than 4 plays. The season is a lost cause and in my opinion the only way to inspire a little hope is to go with Mauer in the first half against UGA, and Shrout in the 2nd half. Forget the score, just see who performs better. Then go with that guy the rest of the year and let them take their lumps. Whoever it is, they will enter 2020 much more prepared than if they just get spot duty behind an ineffective JG. JMO!

Pruitt's too stubborn to do this cause he needs those "positive vibes", and doing so might offend JG and make him have a temper tantrum (effectively ruining those "positive vibes").

If you could combine the strengths of our 3 QBs, you'd have a very good QB.

JG. Accurate, smart, tough as nails --- negatives: can't read the field, reacts too slow, poor leadership, offense seems out of sync when he's QB
Shrout. Reads the field well, strong arm, acts quickly --- negatives: not very accurate, floats a lot of passes, throws a lot of INTs
Maurer. Great scrambler, charismatic, good leader --- negatives: consistently underestimates speed, height, and power of opponents leading to turnovers

I think we need Dr. Frankenstein to fix this situation.

For now, we're stuck with 3 flawed QBs. Maurer probably has the highest upside, but it's tough to pick right now.

Gambling with Shrout might not be the worst option; maybe he completes a lot of long bombs to Jennings / Callaway / Palmer. He'll probably throw some INTs along the way, but at this point, might be worth it in exchange for actually scoring some TDs.

But frankly, there's not a "good" option here.

Reactions: RGRVol and joevol33
If you could combine the strengths of our 3 QBs, you'd have a very good QB.

JG. Accurate, smart, tough as nails --- negatives: can't read the field, reacts too slow, poor leadership, offense seems out of sync when he's QB
Shrout. Reads the field well, strong arm, acts quickly --- negatives: not very accurate, floats a lot of passes, throws a lot of INTs
Maurer.
Great scrambler, charismatic, good leader --- negatives: consistently underestimates speed, height, and power of opponents leading to turnovers

I think we need Dr. Frankenstein to fix this situation.

For now, we're stuck with 3 flawed QBs. Maurer probably has the highest upside, but it's tough to pick right now.

Gambling with Shrout might not be the worst option; maybe he completes a lot of long bombs to Jennings / Callaway / Palmer. He'll probably throw some INTs along the way, but at this point, might be worth it in exchange for actually scoring some TDs.

But frankly, there's not a "good" option here.
where is this coming from? surely not high school stats

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back