Maurer vs. Shrout vs. JG (merged)

JTs problem is consistency. We heard about it in practice reports and we saw in the Chattanooga game. He lets some balls really sail and those are the ones that get picked off. To his credit he did seem to process the field very quickly. (In direct contrast to JG)
he processes the field the fastest of the three. work on his mechanics and we got ourselves a qb. the other 2: one throws to defenses and the other can run, but that's about it.

Reactions: spyfish007
If you could combine the strengths of our 3 QBs, you'd have a very good QB.

JG. Accurate, smart, tough as nails --- negatives: can't read the field, reacts too slow, poor leadership, offense seems out of sync when he's QB
Shrout. Reads the field well, strong arm, acts quickly --- negatives: not very accurate, floats a lot of passes, throws a lot of INTs
Maurer. Great scrambler, charismatic, good leader --- negatives: consistently underestimates speed, height, and power of opponents leading to turnovers

I think we need Dr. Frankenstein to fix this situation.

For now, we're stuck with 3 flawed QBs. Maurer probably has the highest upside, but it's tough to pick right now.

Gambling with Shrout might not be the worst option; maybe he completes a lot of long bombs to Jennings / Callaway / Palmer. He'll probably throw some INTs along the way, but at this point, might be worth it in exchange for actually scoring some TDs.

But frankly, there's not a "good" option here.

You've resorted to desperation DG. You're better than this!

he processes the field the fastest of the three. work on his mechanics and we got ourselves a qb. the other 2: one throws to defenses and the other can run, but that's about it.
You really should stop talking so much. You obviously know very little about any of them.

Let me ask you something. Who’s you UT qb?
i say rep maurer and shrout with the ones for the next two weeks vs the starting defense. coordinator vs coordinator. winner starts, loser is the backup. no decision, flip a coin and that's who starts and they rotate series if they dont produce points. u produce points, u stay in.

i say rep maurer and shrout with the ones for the next two weeks vs the starting defense. coordinator vs coordinator. winner starts, loser is the backup. no decision, flip a coin and that's who starts and they rotate series if they dont produce points. u produce points, u stay in.
I mean who’s the guy you think will or should be starting in 2020.

nah, but he's not very accurate right now.
Man seriously. Not trying to be a prick but you gotta give a freshman time to get adjusted. He doesn’t know his receivers or their tendencies. He knows the 2s better than the 1s right now and it takes time. Qb is the hardest position in all of sports and SO much more goes into it than just throwing a ball. As for arm strength though he’s only 7 yards shy of Trevor Lawrence and he’s 7 yards stronger than Harrison Bailey. Iirc TL 72, BM 65, HB 58.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Man seriously. Not trying to be a prick but you gotta give a freshman time to get adjusted. He doesn’t know his receivers or their tendencies. He knows the 2s better than the 1s right now and it takes time. Qb is the hardest position in all of sports and SO much more goes into it than just throwing a ball. As for arm strength though he’s only 7 yards shy of Trevor Lawrence and he’s 7 yards stronger than Harrison Bailey. Iirc TL 72, BM 65, HB 58.
arm strength does NOT equal accuracy. this is why i say make it a competition between he and shrout, but it seems u want none of that. do u fear he may lose to shrout or do you welcome the competition as well these 2 weeks?

Reactions: Sandevol
arm strength does NOT equal accuracy. this is why i say make it a competition between he and shrout, but it seems u want none of that. do u fear he may lose to shrout or do you welcome the competition as well these 2 weeks?
Well when you call someone a noodle arm that’s what it means. But I’ve been to practices, watched the games, looked at HS stats and compared them all and there’s nothing outside of arm strength that separates JTS from Maurer. They’ve been competing since spring and there’s a reason Maurer jumped him. I’m pretty sure that competition has been over much longer than we know.

Well when you call someone a noodle arm that’s what it means. But I’ve been to practices, watched the games, looked at HS stats and compared them all and there’s nothing outside of arm strength that separates JTS from Maurer. They’ve been competing since spring and there’s a reason Maurer jumped him. I’m pretty sure that competition has been over much longer than we know.
so you've seen more than the media guys? i doubt it

we've all watched games and from what ive seen passing, maurer looks as bad as jg. i know u as the super pro-maurer fan didnt want to hear it, but its truth

hs stats are meaningless in college and that is what you used mostly to come to your conclusion other than maurer being ur favorite.

so you've seen more than the media guys? i doubt it

we've all watched games and from what ive seen passing, maurer looks as bad as jg. i know u as the super pro-maurer fan didnt want to hear it, but its truth

hs stats are meaningless in college and that is what you used mostly to come to your conclusion other than maurer being ur favorite.
You can doubt all you want. You have no idea who you talk to on here. You can only assume. You’ve seen him at a disadvantage twice now. He’s put the ball in the end zone once and drove the team to its first and only points of the day in 2 outings that lasted a total of 6 series. You drive a hard bargain if you expected better.

I think it’s Steven Orr’s time.

Everyone else has had a shot, it all sucked, why not?

where is this coming from? surely not high school stats

Have you looked at JT Shrout's high school stats?

Maxpreps: JT Shrout

He threw 27 TDs and 25 INTs in senior year according to MaxPreps with a 51% completion rate. Also not that difficult to see footage of these guys in high school. Basically, Shrout was a gunslinger that scored a lot of points for both teams. He's still floating a lot of balls from what we've seen of him here at UT, which is why JG beat him out for the starting job.

Maurer was a much better HS QB than Shrout, but played for a 2-8 team. Nevertheless, his Senior year was insanely good. Basically, he was a 1-man offensive machine. He still seems to have some of that same "go it alone" mentality; even though he now when he has an arsenal of WRs at his disposal. I think Maurer will eventually adjust and be a very good college QB, but he's not there yet.

So it's "pick your poison" for us right now. We have 2 guys that aren't ready yet and 1 guy who is rapidly regressing.

I favor starting Shrout against Georgia to see what we have with him. However, between the 2, I think Maurer is the one more likely to pan out long-term. Regardless, I do not envy Pruitt and Chaney right now; there are no "good" decisions here.

Last edited:
No one is questioning his arm strength. We all saw him throw it 10 yards out of bounds multiple times. Impressive arm strength IYAM

If they are getting Maurer ready for next week, expect a heavy dose of coaching to scan the field, he literally stared down every WR. DC’s will be quick to jump on that with game film.

No one is questioning his arm strength. We all saw him throw it 10 yards out of bounds multiple times. Impressive arm strength IYAM
You obviously didn’t read what I was responding to. When someone refers to a qb as a “noodle arm” THAT is questioning said qbs arm strength. So the first part of your statement is false.

And yes I seen that as well. The one down the left sideline I think to Calloway(?) looked like the ball slipped out of his hand a little the way it fluttered out of bounds but I’m not convinced he wasn’t trying to throw it away on purpose anyway due to the coverage. The one down the right sideline to Palmer looked like a throw away as well. Did you see the safety coming over? Maybe he did too and decided to throw it where he did. Deep ball accuracy is one of his strengths. Idk why we can give JG 3 years to get it right but some of us are having a hard time giving Maurer even a reasonable amount of time without being critical of his every mistake we already know he’s going to make.

VN Store

Back