Maurer should not play next week

You realize JG played very well today, right?

You have got to be kidding me. Did you not notice how we had to change the offensive play calling when jg came into the game. He limits our offense so very much. I will say he did do a good job of game managment, but him starting the game again, we might squeak out one win with him as a starter the rest of the season. And not just in this game, very few down field passes were called for him, he can't consistantly make down field passes. He can only consistantly throw short routes and count on the receivers to gain yards after the catch.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
How do you preach finishing, playing hard and competing while playing scared vs Bama?

Maurer gives our team juice. You start him and maybe mix in JG as needed. Like any other game.

If Maurer is cleared to play he should start and play the whole game. He doesn't need to be thinking, ok if I make a mistake I will be taken out of the game. If he is he will become jg and wait till receiver is wide open before he throws the ball.

Can a person imagine the hell coach would get if Maurer was hurt in the AL game and missed several games? One statistic that jumps out at me, he's started two games and been hurt both of them. I don't know what the answer is, but I'm going to assume, for arguments sake, coach will make the right call.

Reactions: peerless98
Yea. I 100% agree. Those two INTs JG threw in the endzone where killers. He's terrible.

:/

The only way I would agree to this is if you let Shrout play. Unfair to make JG get his head bashed in after all the beatings he's taken.

That's two probable concussions (even if not reported) in the past two games. Didn't see the game today but I assume it was pretty obvious. I actually agree with sitting him for the AL game. Hopefully it becomes more commonplace in the future to force players to sit after probable concussions.

Two concussions? The last game he suffered an injury to his ribs not his head.

Learn how to throw the ball to the guys in the Orange jerseys!

Lol the first throw to Jennings was catchable but Jennings didn’t try and go up for the ball. I don’t think he even expected it. But, it still shouldn’t have been thrown. If it would have been caught though it would have been a good throw.... so.... yeah.

Either way the kid is a really good passer, his throw to DWA proves that. For it right in between 3 guys. He is a True Freshman. There are going to be interceptions until he realizes he can take what the defense gives him instead of trying to force so many throws.

Hell no. Unless he's concussed, he plays. Being the starter means you actually play.
Disagree. Watch him run off the field after that series. He’s letting his left arm hang by his side, not bending at the elbow when jogging to the sideline. I’m no physician, but I am a physical therapist. I think he ended up with a small brachial plexus injury to his left side by overstretching on impact with the ground. Basically a stinger. I’m just basing this on how he looked after the series when jogging off and his posture.

You have got to be kidding me. Did you not notice how we had to change the offensive play calling when jg came into the game. He limits our offense so very much. I will say he did do a good job of game managment, but him starting the game again, we might squeak out one win with him as a starter the rest of the season. And not just in this game, very few down field passes were called for him, he can't consistantly make down field passes. He can only consistantly throw short routes and count on the receivers to gain yards after the catch.
Maurer - 2 qtrs - 7 throws- 17 runs
Guarantano- 2 qtrs - 7 throws- 27 runs

The offense really didn't change much.

Last edited:
Disagree. Watch him run off the field after that series. He’s letting his left arm hang by his side, not bending at the elbow when jogging to the sideline. I’m no physician, but I am a physical therapist. I think he ended up with a small brachial plexus injury to his left side by overstretching on impact with the ground. Basically a stinger. I’m just basing this on how he looked after the series when jogging off and his posture.
My post assumes he has no injury and is fit to play, in response to those who’d not play him against Bama even healthy.

Reactions: supersmo18
The Bama game would be good experience for BM. I still think they should have some plays with JJ at QB. Miss St was at the top with take aways and they also had the #1 rusher in Hill but the D stopped it. Also of subject but are last 2 games in all orange are Sec wins.

He threw a damn dart to Keyton, and a damn dart to Jennings that got dropped. BM is our best option to win football games, but the coaches should have let him throw it more. Dude was 6/7 and the incompletion was a drop. He moved through his progressions very well and done everything we bitched about him doing wrong early in the season. Don't let your bias get in the way of the truth.

Brian Maurer is a freshmen QB with 2 starts and is giving life to a team that couldn’t move the ball AT ALL! He needs to be groomed and may be the future of the program. He looks that good. Throws a great ball and has good football IQ. He starts against Alabama. He does not have a concussion. Scary cervical compression issue but looks uninjured. They didn’t even put a c collar on him. He’s fine. Thank God. Go vols man

If Maurer is cleared to play he should start and play the whole game. He doesn't need to be thinking, ok if I make a mistake I will be taken out of the game. If he is he will become jg and wait till receiver is wide open before he throws the ball.

JG never played looking over his shoulder till now. He didn't have competition so he was allowed to play poorly, lazily prepare, etc. If Maurer wants to play, he can't throw 2 picks in the red zone and not protect himself while scrambling.

If JG plays at bama we lose plain and simple.Now saying that we prob lose either way but I much rather have JT or Maurer starting than JG.At this point u know what ur getting and JG offensive prowess isn’t going to light the score board up,but Tua’s will.

VN Store

Back