Maurer should not play next week

And didn’t i say being cleared isn’t the same as 100% from a head/neck injury? Personally I don’t think he has a concussion, strained or sprained neck seems more likely.

Sad. Neither one of you can read too good. But yeah, saying Mizzou is a more formidable defense than bama is definitely a winning argument

When did you examine him, Billy?

He will not play not because of injury but because Freshman QBs who throw lots of ints do noy play period

I see a lot of comments that claim Maurer needs to learn to slide.......which he does.......but does anyone realize that was the last man to beat? If dude doesn’t get his arm out there and trip Maurer up, he’s gone. Can’t blame the kid for doing what we ask and giving his all to Tennessee.
No blaming. It's a safety issue. He could have a very short career.

Can a person imagine the hell coach would get if Maurer was hurt in the AL game and missed several games? One statistic that jumps out at me, he's started two games and been hurt both of them. I don't know what the answer is, but I'm going to assume, for arguments sake, coach will make the right call.

Do you know the hell coach would get if he sits his starting QB against our biggest historic rival because he’s afraid he will get beat up and concedes the game before the kickoff?

Reactions: VolArmy74
He threw a damn dart to Keyton, and a damn dart to Jennings that got dropped. BM is our best option to win football games, but the coaches should have let him throw it more. Dude was 6/7 and the incompletion was a drop. He moved through his progressions very well and done everything we bitched about him doing wrong early in the season. Don't let your bias get in the way of the truth.

You are a lunatic. They didn’t let him throw a ball down the middle of the field at all. They wouldn’t even call a play that had a low percentage throw in it.

No blaming. It's a safety issue. He could have a very short career.
I get it. And I actually agree he needs to learn to slide. Just that particular situation didn’t call for a slide. Once he cut it back inside the last defender was beat and just happened to get lucky catching Maurers inside leg. Had he caught the outside leg Maurer likely runs right through it. Just a victim of circumstance on that one. It happens.

Reactions: NCFisher
And didn’t i say being cleared isn’t the same as 100% from a head/neck injury? Personally I don’t think he has a concussion, strained or sprained neck seems more likely.

Sad. Neither one of you can read too good. But yeah, saying Mizzou is a more formidable defense than bama is definitely a winning argument

Read well enough to see you cherry-picked and mischaracterized a comment regarding MO while ignoring examples GA and FL. Championship selectivity; bravo!

Say, assume it's SC week instead of AL, Maurer is on protocol and then cleared to play.
Do you hold him out against SC?

Do you know the hell coach would get if he sits his starting QB against our biggest historic rival because he’s afraid he will get beat up and concedes the game before the kickoff?
Oh yes, he's in a NO win situation with the fan base. You are correct.

Read well enough to see you cherry-picked and mischaracterized a comment regarding MO while ignoring examples GA and FL. Championship selectivity; bravo!

Say, assume it's SC week instead of AL, Maurer is on protocol and then cleared to play.
When Maurer signed that $50 mil contract he signed up to play through head/neck injuries, right? That’s the risk you take when you play football for a living...

I just believe the long term health of the young man is the most important factor and I think bama is on the first line of most physical D’s in the SEC.

Mason Rudlof of Steelers was still sitting after a week of concussion protocol. No guarantee Maurer will be released by Saturday anyway. Rudolf even practiced.

I just believe the long term health of the young man is the most important factor and I think bama is on the first line of most physical D’s in the SEC.

I'm sure UT - and everyone - feels the same way. No one is saying play him if he's compromised, so that objection is effectively dead.

The topic, however, is do you play Maurer against Bama under any condition. Your answer appears to be no, so just say that.

I'm sure UT - and everyone - feels the same way. No one is saying play him if he's compromised, so that objection is effectively dead.

The topic, however, is do you play Maurer against Bama under any condition. Your answer appears to be no, so just say that.
It was stated - if he’s cleared, presumably by concussion protocol since that was the discussion, then he should play. I have said that there is plenty of room between “he’s cleared by concussion protocol” and “he should play vs bama 1 week removed from a head/neck injury.”

Like Kevin Durant was medically cleared to play. It’s clearly arguable whether he should’ve been allowed by coaches to play and whether he should have chosen to play. I know I have discussed multiple related but distinct concepts and I’m sorry if that confuses people.

When Maurer signed that $50 mil contract he signed up to play through head/neck injuries, right? That’s the risk you take when you play football for a living...

That's a desperate straw argument; again, no one has proposed playing an at risk Maurer.
Just say you wouldn't play even a healthy Maurer against AL. That's the topic.

It was stated - if he’s cleared, presumably by concussion protocol since that was the discussion, then he should play. I have said that there is plenty of room between “he’s cleared by concussion protocol” and “he should play vs bama 1 week removed from a head/neck injury.”

Like Kevin Durant was medically cleared to play. It’s clearly arguable whether he should’ve been allowed by coaches to play and whether he should have chosen to play. I know I have discussed multiple related but distinct concepts and I’m sorry if that confuses people.

Then perhaps we shouldn't play him next week either; how the hell do we know if two weeks is sufficient?

YOU can discuss it all you want, but YOU are not the medical team examining and making the decision. The premise is that Maurer is not at risk - that's one "concept", get it? - and whether he should play Alabama, period, or be saved for the last five games.

We have your answer.

Then perhaps we shouldn't play him next week either; how the hell do we know if two weeks is sufficient?

YOU can discuss it all you want, but YOU are not the medical team examining and making the decision. The premise is that Maurer is not at risk - that's one "concept", get it? - and whether he should play Alabama, period, or be saved for the last five games.

We have your answer.
BM is physically weak. My guess is that he can't bench 190 lbs. This past summer is probably the 1st time he's ever worked properly on his frame. Regardless of when he plays again I'm sure that his physical stature is on the minds of the coaches. It's not uncommon for a young player to be kept on the bench because he's not ready physically to hold up in this conference. He needs 20-30 lbs of muscle before the coaches have confidence that he won't get killed out there. It's clear to me that he isn't ready physically or mentally to be on the field yet. The knock on BM out of high school was that he turned the ball over at a high rate, inconsistent with his accuracy and that he needed 30 lbs of muscle added to his frame. He's exactly what most analysts thought, a turnover or injury waiting to happen if he had to play this season. He's got a little talent but not enough at this time to compensate for his shortcomings. He needed a redshirt year to get bigger, stronger and more mature.

BM is physically weak. My guess is that he can't bench 190 lbs. This past summer is probably the 1st time he's ever worked properly on his frame. Regardless of when he plays again I'm sure that his physical stature is on the minds of the coaches. It's not uncommon for a young player to be kept on the bench because he's not ready physically to hold up in this conference. He needs 20-30 lbs of muscle before the coaches have confidence that he won't get killed out there. It's clear to me that he isn't ready physically or mentally to be on the field yet. The knock on BM out of high school was that he turned the ball over at a high rate, inconsistent with his accuracy and that he needed 30 lbs of muscle added to his frame. He's exactly what most analysts thought, a turnover or injury waiting to happen if he had to play this season. He's got a little talent but not enough at this time to compensate for his shortcomings. He needed a redshirt year to get bigger, stronger and more mature.

Right or wrong, I can accept the opinion he is not physically ready to play ANY game in the SEC. A lot of more developed QBs would've been pasted by the blitz hit, and him landing on his head was simply a freak accident that might sideline anyone.

I don't accept that he's physically ready to play everyone except AL. Logically, since his injury occurred against MSU and our remaining SEC games are teams comparable to or somewhat better than MSU, we should only play him against UAB.

Except they have Bama in their name...damn!

That's a desperate straw argument; again, no one has proposed playing an at risk Maurer.
Just say you wouldn't play even a healthy Maurer against AL. That's the topic.

We have your answer.
LOL calm down bro. We all know you’re hard AF and would play vs bama if you could crawl onto the field. All these little wimpy current college players subject to concussion protocols and targeting rules are just tryin to get on your level

LOL calm down bro. We all know you’re hard AF and would play vs bama if you could crawl onto the field. All these little wimpy current college players subject to concussion protocols and targeting rules are just tryin to get on your level

That's an infantile dodge.
Again, just say "No, I wouldn't play a perfectly healthy Maurer against AL. He might get injured because his security cloak works against every team except Bama."

"And GA."
"Oh, and MSU."

That's an infantile dodge.
Again, just say "No, I wouldn't play a perfectly healthy Maurer against AL. He might get injured because his security cloak works against every team except Bama."

"And GA."
"Oh, and MSU."
Pathetic. Keep trying to put words in my mouth.

Pathetic. Keep trying to put words in my mouth.

Gee, you refuse to answer direct questions, so someone has to.

Take ownership of your mouth:
Would you start Maurer against Bama under any circumstance?
Since he's been named the starter, are the staff and med teams negligent in some way?

VN Store

Back