Maurer? Portal bound?

Nobody can be a “worse” passer compared to JG. I have not seen all of the bad Qb’s at UT over the years but JG and Dormady are the most inaccurate passers I have seen in my recollections of watching UT football.

JG has about the same completion % as Dobbs. His completion % is better than Tee Martins, Tyler Bray and Erik Ainge (barely). Try harder.

So you want to go back tally up JG's near interceptions, and underthrown passes since they could have been picked off and weigh them accordingly since he was a RS JR? Because if that's how you want to project future results, then we are in a world of hurt with JG returning next year since we are losing most of the receivers that could actually catch his passes.

Yes, that would be the correct way to grade him. I remember some balls against BYU (UF too) that should have been INTs.

We'll have WRs next year; that cupboard is not as bare as most think. Palmer, Keyton, Gibbs, and Johnson can all get it done.

Reactions: irish1485
Agree. I think too many on here are just expecting Bailey to walk in and be a stud from day 1. If this were the ACC, PAC 12 or Big 10 then I would expect the same. The SEC is just a much tougher place to play. I think the ideal scenario is for Bailey to RS and one of our QBs really step it up and take command this year.

I dont care who the QB is as long as they progress.

Exactly, HB could even play the Vandy, Troy, and bowl game. He could still red shirt, gain confidence, stay healthy, and be set up for a great future.

Folks can dig up my old posts. I was against Maurer playing until after the SC game. Not because of any affection for JG, but because it was too soon and Maurer was not ready. It was the worst thing possible for Maurer's development. Now his confidence is down and he's had multiple injuries to the head and neck area as well as other injuries requiring surgery. What happened to him can destroy a QB, I hope he can come back from it.

And JG threw two actual interceptions, one which was immediately taken in for a TD. So what's your point?
Welllll I think it's pretty obvious that my point is when the other team catches passes we throw to them, that's something we can't control. Something we can control is how often we throw the ball at the other team. That seems like a truer representation of how the QB is playing. I think it could be valuable to focus on the things we can control.

Why was he unprepared?
2 reasons. If JG is the starter that week the game plan is tailored to him as polar opposite qbs. If Tom Brady and Lamar Jackson were on the same roster how effective would Tom be as the #2? My guess is 0. The second reason is let’s say (to keep it round) JG as the starter takes 50% of the reps with the 1s. That means JTS and BM spilt the other 50%. Which means 75% of BMs reps were taken with the 2s that week in a game plan that doesn’t fit him.

And JG threw two actual interceptions, one which was immediately taken in for a TD.

Hey, at least he got a TD pass! Unlike Maurer, the freshman who couldn't even beat out a fourth year player twice!

What a loser!

Have u even looked at JG's stats for the missouri game?

JG has about the same completion % as Dobbs. His completion % is better than Tee Martins, Tyler Bray and Erik Ainge (barely). Try harder.

Completion percentage can be an easily misleading stat as can the number of interceptions. If you wait till you see open receivers you should have better stats on the passes you actually throw. How do his yards/attempt compare to those other guys. Also, what about his rushing stats? Dobbs and Martin represented scramble threats so they didn't have to have the same completion % to be effective.

Waiting until after receivers are open also means you're leaving opportunity on the field. Not a strategy that will win any championships. Just because JG can do it in practice, doesn't mean he can do it in the games. I will cut a true freshman coming from a gunslinger system a lot more slack than a fourth year junior. Especially one who pulled that stunt in the Bama game.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
How many backup QBs who don't get many 1st ream reps in practice come in and light it up after the starter lays an egg on the field?
Not many. The backup is the backup for a reason. If the backup is better than the starter he becomes the starter - see how that works? But if he’s unprepared that’s on him.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
2 reasons. If JG is the starter that week the game plan is tailored to him as polar opposite qbs. If Tom Brady and Lamar Jackson were on the same roster how effective would Tom be as the #2? My guess is 0. The second reason is let’s say (to keep it round) JG as the starter takes 50% of the reps with the 1s. That means JTS and BM spilt the other 50%. Which means 75% of BMs reps were taken with the 2s that week in a game plan that doesn’t fit him.
The backup should be prepared to run the gameplan he repped during the week.

He did win the starting job, as a true freshman over a 4th year player.....became the starter after Guarantano stunk it up through the Florida game. Based off of actual game play rather than just practice. Maurer started the Georgia game and played the best half of football of any Tennessee QB in 2019. Obviously, the injuries led to him losing the job. And remember, even after the injuries, when he was healthy again, he started vs Kentucky as well, played the first half and got into a good rhythm in the 2nd quarter before being pulled at halftime for some reason.

This is absolutely no knock on Maurer, but it seemed to me like JG lost the starting job more than Maurer won it. After Maurer got hurt and wasn't particularly effective, JG got his starting job back.

Josh Dobbs played in 3 more games than JG currently has, and had nearly 4 times as many passing TDs, and 34 rushing TDs. Harping on them having a similar completion percentage is completely ignoring the fact that the Dobbs-led offense actually resulted in scoring, and a JG-led offense does not.

He has showed some promise with his legs but he has already had two possible concussions in very limited playing time. His passing ability is worse than JG's and that isn't saying much. He is most effective when he is a threat to run the ball and with his health issues I am not sure how durable he is. If you take that away, what are you left with?

BM has a much better arm, quicker release and his accuracy is just as good as JGs. He also doesn't hold the ball waiting for a receiver to get open, he tries to throw them open. BM needs work on his reads and making better decisions, it also will help to have more time with the receivers getting to know tendencies.

Josh Dobbs played in 3 more games than JG currently has, and had nearly 4 times as many passing TDs, and 34 rushing TDs. Harping on them having a similar completion percentage is completely ignoring the fact that the Dobbs-led offense actually resulted in scoring, and a JG-led offense does not.

Exactly, and Dobbs got drug all the time by fans for his crappy accuracy. Dobbs just had WAY more redeeming qualities that allowed us to overlook his lack of accuracy.

Wrong. Put yourself in Pruitts shoes for a second. First, you see these guys infinitely more than fans do. You see them at practice day in and day out. From practice reports we received from Fingers, virtually every practice showed JG was the better QB. Now if you are the HC how do you handle it? Do you say well this QB wasnt as good in practice but should be better in game?

Pruitt stuck with the best QB he had. And it worked out to our benefit.
Actually if you go back to the report when BM replaced him. The reports stated BM was better in practice....you dont find it odd

Exactly, and Dobbs got drug all the time by fans for his crappy accuracy. Dobbs just had WAY more redeeming qualities that allowed us to overlook his lack of accuracy.

Dobbs wasn't even that great of a passer, especially in the 2015 season, and still manged to have a completion percentage north of 60%. Championing JGs completion percentage while he's sitting at a career 32 passing TDs after playing in 32 games, is laughable.

Not when you're trying to project future results. Those passes were nearly unforgivable even though they luckily hit the ground.

When you are grading a QB what is worse: a throw that hit the WR in the hands but is deflected for an INT or a pass into double coverage that is dropped because the two defenders run into each other?
For l projecting future result which is worse a RS Jr who statically % wise dropped in performance with better talent around them...or a freshman who performed better vs the best teams we played?

Dobbs wasn't even that great of a passer, especially in the 2015 season, and still manged to have a completion percentage north of 60%. Championing JGs completion percentage while he's sitting at a career 32 passing TDs after playing in 32 games, is laughable.

Completion percentage can be misleading. Most D1 QBs can hit an open receiver so eating sacks or running instead of trying to thread the needle will lead to a high %.

The backup should be prepared to run the gameplan he repped during the week.
Should is a much bigger word than the 6 letters it takes to spell it. Every word of what I argued is true and therefore maybe the problem is as simple as recruiting. Pruitt has his preference of style of offense he wants to run but he’s recruiting qbs that don’t fit that style of play. Therefore imo this may be an ongoing problem. As I said, Tom Brady couldn’t run Lamars game plan.

Try harder? Martin won a NC and was MUCH better running the ball than JG. I don't think anyone thinks he was a great passing QB but at times he was decent.

Bray as a true Jr... one year less experience than JG... completed almost 60% while throwing 34 TD's and over 3,600 yds. If JG had ever done that... or given a sign that he was capable of doing that... we wouldn't be having these conversations. Starting part time as a true Fr, Bray threw more than twice as many TD's in 3 years than JG has. UT with a QB like Bray last year would have been a 10 win team and would have been among the SEC leaders in scoring.

Ainge in his Jr year had almost 3,000 yds passing and 19 TD's. In his 4th season, he had over 3,500 yds passing and only one less TD than JG has produced in 3 years.

The common denominator with all of these guys... was they could put points on the board. They made plays in the passing game that won games. JG's completion % is meaningless if it doesn't move the O. Lipstick on a pig.

VN Store

Back