Maurer? Portal bound?

Maurer plays the same way. A virtual carbon copy. TO machine. 2.5 TD to INT ratio and was lucky it was only that bad. 45% completion. I've seen enough.
That's pretty stupid to write off a true freshman. He was thrown in before he was ready because JG was ineffective. Maurer in spurts played very well. At other times he played poorly.

Maurer will make a good QB at UT or elsewhere. JG is all but certain to be one of the few if not the only QB in Vol history to start games in four years and finish with a losing record.

The biggest misconception is BM won the starting job. That is incorrect!

JG lost the starting job.

BM had his chances even after injury to "win" the position and failed.
That's even dumber than most of your stuff. JG left the door open. The staff LOVED what BM did vs UGA. The injury set him back. He never really played with the same confidence afterwards. Without the injury, he did in fact beat JG out.

From just a passing standpoint, Maurer did better in the first half vs a very good UK D than JG did against Vandy or IU... two not very good D's.

Maurer throws a great ball....too bad he trows so many of them to the "bad guys"

He isn't a top tier SEC talent mentally.

As bad a JG is.....he's worse.
Right. Because it is reasonable to throw a Fr out there before he's ready and expect him to play like a "top tier SEC" QB.... He may never be good. But it is pretty dumb to write him off at this point.

Of him staying. Meaning maybe Maurer is looking at his own future.
Im not going to argue about it. It became clear what he was talking about shortly after the thread was created when he congratulated JG.

Im not going to argue about it. It became clear what he was talking about shortly after the thread was created when he congratulated JG.
Each to their own interpretation. Hope he stays.

Reactions: lexkyvol
I'm starting to wonder if Maurer is the next Riley Fergueson. Good QB with lots of potential, but needs to get his head on straight before being successful.

I honestly think part of his problem with Maurer is that he played for a terrible team in high school, and he got used to the "gunslinger" mentality; i.e. his team has to score 50+ to even win games, so he takes huge risks. He's not really in that situation any more; our D has been very strong and can be relied upon to win games, so long as the QB isn't throwing multiple INTs every game. If he can learn to make better decision and not try to force anything, he can be a very good QB.

In any case, hope he's not leaving. Between the 3 QBs this season, Maurer is the only one I'm worried might transfer.

Last edited:
My guess is if BM is really thinking of leaving, the craziness of that woman who went after him on social media is at least a little part of it. I would want to get away from her as well.

I'm starting to wonder if Maurer is the next Riley Fergueson. Good QB with lots of potential, but needs to get his head on straight before being successful.

I honestly think part of his problem with Maurer is that he played for a terrible team in high school, and he got used to the "gunslinger" mentality; i.e. his team has to score 50+ to even win games, so he takes huge risks. He's not really in that situation any more; our D has been very strong and can be relied upon to win games, so long as the QB isn't throwing multiple INTs every game. If he can learn to make better decision and not try to force anything, he can be a very good QB.

In any case, hope he's not leaving. Between the 3 QBs this season, Maurer is the only one I'm worried might transfer.
You have a interesting thought. My thoughts on Maurer is he is still learning the plays / reading defenses etc. He has the tools, just needs time and experience at this level. So many dynamics involved on a single play. You can run a play 20 times in practice with success, then run it in a live game, the opposing defense shows or does one little thing different than the practice defense to cause a slight hesitation by the QB. A QB will force the throw vs just trusting and naturally doing how he did it in practice to begin with.. Just takes time and experience to learn. On top of all the pressure that goes with getting it right the first time in live action.

If I was a OC (there's many many reasons I'm not 😂) If I called a play in a live game that my QB runs well in practice but didn't execute in the game because he forced it.. I would call that play again.. Because I bet when he ran it the first time he knew exactly what he did wrong, but instead of not getting the play back.. I'd give a second chance to execute it.. But this is the reason I'm not a OC and am laying on the couch typing this in my phone vs sleeping.. 🙄

Reactions: 1vol8
Pruitt does not like interceptions. Depending on QB accuracy, a lot of plays are off the menu. QBs argue with the coach about what should be on the menu. Not going to win that argument.

Ain't it the truth!? The way some of our fans are, the Vols don't need opposing fanbases to boo them. We got them right here among our own base.
Criticizing a player for performance doesnt mean people are not fans..christ sakes. Get off yalls soap box....

Same one daying this crap now will being throwing a fit in the Gameday thread first time out QB throws a pick 6....

The southern way. Talk out both sides of your mouth!!!!

Reactions: CA_Vol
Let’s be honest, Bailey looks more college ready than any of the QBs on our roster including Maurer.

Not saying Maurer is a bad QB but he’s really struggled ever since his injury.

JG has shown flashes but is way too inconsistent. Not sure what else can be done with him.

Shrout probably won’t ever see the field.

Bailey has all the tools and the maturity to be the leader at the QB position which we’ve lacked for some quite time now.

Criticizing a player for performance doesnt mean people are not fans..christ sakes. Get off yalls soap box....

Same one daying this crap now will being throwing a fit in the Gameday thread first time out QB throws a pick 6....

The southern way. Talk out both sides of your mouth!!!!

Here's what I KNOW about me as opposed to what you THINK you know about me. Pick 6 whether first time out or a veteran Peyton Manning clone, if no kids around I'd say, "Dammit!" Then during the replay, if available, I'd look at the coverage, the receiver's route, the QB, OL, and whatever else to see why it happened. Just to see if I could spot why the pick 6 occurred. I'd also want to see who had a chance to stop the TD run and didn't. After that, I'd enjoy the rest of the game. What I wouldn't do is come on VN or anywhere else and vilify a player. See, for all I know the QB might have had his arm or hand hit with just enough force to alter the flight of the ball. Or the receiver due to a genetic defect was playing with weak big toe bones that flare up unpredictability. But that's just me. Do I cuss when a Vol messes up? Yeah, did it a lot during the Lyle Allen Era, but the only person who knew about it was Shirley, my wife. Folks who knew my posts here know I can be a PIA, but I'm very pro-players which gets me in trouble with folks like you from time to time. That's what I know about me while you don't know a darn thing about me. As I know nothing of you either. I do try to shoot straight but yes, sometimes my hand shakes. But I don't vilify my Vols. They don the O&W which I'm loyal to. BUT BUT BUT, once in a blue moon when one does the unthinkable, I damn him along with everyone else. The Crowder incident for example and stuff like it, the person to me is no longer a Vol, not even human far as I'm concerned. See, I'm pro-child too. But again, that's just me. Knowutimen?

Vols Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
weights are not correctly reported in many cases. Burrow, JG and Maurer all look similar in stature on the field. Laurence has a slim build at 6’6 220 and I bet his weight is closer to 210. They are all big enough to be successful.
Maurer wasn't big enough to be successful this year. That is what others have pointed out. He got injured, likely in part due to a size difference between himself and the defenders teeing off on him.

I'm glad he "looks" big enough to you.

However, the real world called and 23 pounds is still a significant difference between Maurer and the heisman trophy winner that you chose to compare his stature to.

VN Store

Back