Maurer emerging as QB1?

My point is that it doesn't matter who's winning the QB battle in April. It matters who is winning the QB battle in August (football season).

Right now what matters is them getting better, making their teammates better, and competing.
I get what you are trying to say and from one angle that's true. But it does matter who leads because it means they're developing what the coaches want faster. They can then spend time perfecting those things or else taking the next step in the playbook.

It matters because decision making is such a bid deal with this O. That's not easily developed in the off season or 7 on 7.

Lastly it matters because the opinions of their teammates are being developed and hardened now. If someone falls noticeably behind then their teammates may react to them differently.

Reactions: WxVol and LittleVol
It's because he's rail thin as a QB. Any shot he takes is more likely to hurt him, and he was concussed twice in 2019.
One, he isn't "rail thin" at 6'3" 205... there are a lot of QB's who play at that build. IIRC, JG was 6'4" 195 as a RS Fr when he was being sacked 30 times over a half season because he couldn't get the ball out.

Two, it was a freak fall. It probably would have had the same impact on almost anyone. Have someone hang you by your feet with your head 6' off the ground, blindfold you, then drop you. You'll probably have a concussion and/or neck injury.

Three, it could result in him being more prone to concussions but we have not seen that yet. If I understand correctly, concussions can be cumulative but not always.

Four, there is the possibility that he could be more naturally prone to concussions.... but we don't have proof yet for that either.

Doesn’t matter Maurer will get hurt. He’s never healthy. Also a head case and will force awful throws.
Well, no. He was injured after a freak fall as a Fr. Then he was said to be dealing with a hamstring all year last year.... then in one game shortly after the announcers said it... he came in to do a QB run. From what I've gleaned, Maurer and Pruitt had already agreed that he was leaving. The injury claim gave Pruitt some cover.

In what respect is he a "head case"? Because he suffered from depression? At any given time, about 10% of all Americans are depressed. A much larger % will suffer from depression at some point in their lives.

He has forced awful throws. In what way does that mean he always will... that he cannot be coached up if someone takes the time to do it? He's also shown flashes by throwing balls neither of the other two have shown they can throw.

Last edited:
From the tone of your post it sounds like you are saying start Harrison Bailey or else. I apologize if I am misunderstanding, but that is exactly what we have been living through for the last 3 years with JG. IT IS BAILEY’S RESPONSIBILITY to earn the job and we will all support him if he accomplishes that goal.

Who cares what goes on with Kirby Smart. It has absolutely nothing to do with our situation. Fields chose the wrong school in the beginning. And I can now easily understand why he did not want to play for Pruitt.

IF I were Josh Heupel and a player, family, or fan group came in and threatened me with who I should start at a position then my first question would be where do you want me to send the transfer papers to?

Heupel has had the top 5 offenses in the entire NCAA for the last 4 years and won a national championship as QB. The man, unlike many on this board, knows what he is doing and the risk associated with it. His reputation is not going to be tainted by an unproven college prospect.

I am going to support whoever the starting QB is in that Tennessee Orange jersey this year regardless of who it is. I would like to see HB get it but that is on him. But if this is going to be a situation where I will take my ball and go home please go ahead and inform coach where to send the transfer papers. We are not in a position to make any player bigger than our program.
He absolutely is saying “HB or else”. He’s been spewing it for weeks every since BMs name has been emerging. It’s painfully obvious that’s he’s feeling threatened by him and at this point I’m not sure why. It’s early and things can change but right now I’d say Brian is obviously doing well because where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

Reactions: LittleVol
I’m pulling for Maurer in this new UT offense. There’s just something about him. As others mentioned, he has moxy. Plus he’s the underdog.
I don’t think Bailey has the legs or arm (quick release or strength) to be efficient in this offense.
Hooker, according to the stats I read, seems to run as much or more than he passes and that type of QB has always annoyed me.

Brian Maurer until it ain’t.

Haven’t read the entire thread so sorry if this was already posted. With the way transfer rules are now, I doubt there will be any clear cut naming of a QB depth chart until we are deep into fall practice.

I'll support Maurer if he wins the battle as I support UT football. I've seen both HB and Maurer play live. Having watched both of them live and in person, Maurer has yet to perform as an SEC level talent QB should be performing IMO. HB was an early enrollee his freshman year but that was sidelined due to Covid and he pretty much was placed on the back burner by the staff. as they were in the fall without having seen him in a spring. They only put him on the field when JG was so poorly performing they had to do something. Yet he got on the field before Maurer. So it's not like HB has had the benefit of a spring ball or even a halfway normal fall practice period. Now if it's true Heupel recruited Maurer while at UCF that makles my point for me, Maurer has yet to demonstrate he is an SEC talent. He'd do well at UCF or USF or similar schools. He can't even start at Vandy. If he starts on The Hill I hope he scores a TD for the offense every time he takes the field. That's heart, head says he's a decent college QB just not up to being an SEC level QB no matter what Heupel thinks as it's no sure thing he's an SEC level coach at this point. Much will be decided soon.

Man the people on here acting like mauer ain’t capable are crazy... Pruitt is the worst Coach a Qb could play for as a head coach... CJH will actually teach these boys at a championship level... y’all mention Mauer as a 3* like he wasn’t setting all time records at his high school and elite 11 competitor he can play at this level... I don’t care who wins because I trust this staff to choose the best one they’ve done it at every stop they been at... Mauer is a guy that doesn’t shy away from the light is very athletic has the arm to make all the throws needed... he will be successful in this system this is modern day football... athletes all over the field Pruitt left CJH a talented roster on offense guys who can really make plays in the open field... we have 3 legit Qbs and a Qb guru head coach and staff just relax and let the situation play out.

I'll support Maurer if he wins the battle as I support UT football. I've seen both HB and Maurer play live. Having watched both of them live and in person, Maurer has yet to perform as an SEC level talent QB should be performing IMO. HB was an early enrollee his freshman year but that was sidelined due to Covid and he pretty much was placed on the back burner by the staff. as they were in the fall without having seen him in a spring. They only put him on the field when JG was so poorly performing they had to do something. Yet he got on the field before Maurer. So it's not like HB has had the benefit of a spring ball or even a halfway normal fall practice period. Now if it's true Heupel recruited Maurer while at UCF that makles my point for me, Maurer has yet to demonstrate he is an SEC talent. He'd do well at UCF or USF or similar schools. He can't even start at Vandy. If he starts on The Hill I hope he scores a TD for the offense every time he takes the field. That's heart, head says he's a decent college QB just not up to being an SEC level QB no matter what Heupel thinks as it's no sure thing he's an SEC level coach at this point. Much will be decided soon.
1) If you don’t think he performed at an SEC level in his 4 starts, you had your eyes closed in 2019.
2) You’re judging seeing Maurer live vs SEC competition along side of Bailey in HS. Not even close to the same level of competition. He wasn’t perfect but if nothing else, anyone with eyes and a lack of bias could see he’s talented enough to be in the SEC.
3) Heupel recruited Maurer. It’s true. But how does that prove your point when Heupel recruited him early before anyone else was involved? Truth is it hurts your point because Heupel seen it earlier than the SEC schools and well before the elite 11 when everyone else started getting involved.
4) Bailey had the same amount of preparation heading into his first start vs UF as Maurer did in his vs UGA. So just stop.
5) “No matter what Heupel thinks”? His pedigree speaks for itself. His history speaks for itself. His evaluations speak for themselves. If he thinks BM is a better fit, then he’s a better fit. It doesn’t take anything away from Maurer by admitting that HB was a better “fit” for a conservative offense like Pruitts.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
In hindsight, it’s very hard to make any meaningful assessments about any of the QBs, including JG.

I have no interest in who starts. I just want the coaches to give the team the best chance to win, and I think they will.

Not really. Not in that one particular case. We wished he could made it click but the things that didn’t click are things you can’t teach as much as some of the other needed skills. At least IMO. Hopefully he proves me wrong. Would be happy for him if he could.

I think you should be prepared to eat your words. Maurer has a better arm, he’s faster, and he thrived in an offense similar to this one in high school, Bailey reminds me an awful lot of Justin Worley, a big kid with a very average arm. I think it will come down to Maurer and Hooker with Maurer’s ability to throw winning him the job.

What are you talking about?? So because UCF offered him, that means he ISN'T SEC caliber? One has nothing to do with the other.

Stop it. You won't be cheering him on if he wins. That's the ONLY thing you've made clear.

Most of everybody else, wants the best QB to win, REGARDLESS of who.

Reactions: 1vol8
Not really. Not in that one particular case. We wished he could made it click but the things that didn’t click are things you can’t teach as much as some of the other needed skills. At least IMO. Hopefully he proves me wrong. Would be happy for him if he could.
JG was just player that the lights were too bright for at Tennessee... he will do well at wazzu much less pressure... he was too mentally fragile for the sec tho one mistake he couldn’t shake it he would pile on and make it 10x worse... that’s why it was always all good or all bad with JG long as everything going good he is good but adversity crushes him every time... I wish him the best he will do well with better Qb coaching and 5 years of sec training pac 12 will be much less difficult...

Haven’t read the entire thread so sorry if this was already posted. With the way transfer rules are now, I doubt there will be any clear cut naming of a QB depth chart until we are deep into fall practice.

The team will know by osmosis at end of Spring. Any team I've been on as a player you know.

I think you should be prepared to eat your words. Maurer has a better arm, he’s faster, and he thrived in an offense similar to this one in high school, Bailey reminds me an awful lot of Justin Worley, a big kid with a very average arm. I think it will come down to Maurer and Hooker with Maurer’s ability to throw winning him the job.
There are some inherent advantages for Maurer. Yes. Because of the tempo and Maurer just moving in rhythm faster than any of the other QBs. Not just Bailey. He's operating faster than Hendon too.

But one thing I saw and liked about Bailey last year as a true freshman was that he saw the whole field. He used the TE. He also ate the ball a lot. Held it too long. ...but this could be a side effect of scared coaching (Pruitt).
I think Bailey is also slowly becoming more agile and nimble. His feet are moving quicker. He doesn't have to be 4.5 like Maurer. He just needs to show he can be a run threat. He needs to be in rhythm with the tempo, and able to still do all the good things he did before in route progresses and operating from the pocket.

Many kinds of QBs can play in this type of offense.

So it DOESN'T surprise me that Maurer is making an early case to be the guy. Because he's a very talented QB that is perfect for this offense. That doesn't mean Bailey over these next months and into the season won't find his own good Rhythm. It's still about playing from the pocket and controlling the defense.

Austin said a lot of things that proved false. Trust you if you want but I personally can’t throw him very far
Just posting his opinion from the mini-podcast. Divide in camps or don’t.

Don’t trust a word the man says. But that’s just me. Plus you’re right..... it is just his opinion
It’s just you because of his history of opinions on Maurer. 😏 Heupel will pick the best guy for this system...his history. All the rest from us and “insiders” is saber rattling.

VN Store

Back