Maurer’s Instagram Post

My opinion is that we have had Chaney for a year. JG has had way too many coaches, Shrout was Heltons project if I remember correctly? Maurer is a true freshman and not all true freshman play well enough consistently to take the reigns. It takes time for players to settle into systems especially when your starter has seen over 4 different coordinators.
/thread

If you want to know why JG is better than Mauer RIGHT NOW...you just need to look at the stat line.

JG - 257 ATT 152 CMP 16 TD 8 INT
BM 75 ATT 35 CMP 2 TD 5 INT

SO
JG throws a TD every 16 passes....BM throws one every 35.7
JG Throws a PICK every 32 attempts, BM throws one every 15
JG Is completing 59.14% and BM is 46.67%

If you can't understand that then you really need to take some time to learn the game of football before you continue to talk about football in public.

JG plays because he doesn't turn the football over as often. This time RARELY can win when they lose the turnover margin...

BM Statistically throws more than twice as many picks as JG and half the TDs while completing 12% fewer of his passes.

BM very well might be more talented than JG but HE ISNT doing a good job of preparing himself or of taking advantage of the opportunities he is given..

Don't get me wrong. I want him to stay...but if he couldn't beat out JG....he's not going to stand a chance VS HB.

BM has way too small of a sample size to make that comparison . Not to mention every pass he throws is cold from sitting on the bench and is pressured by the expectation that he only gets one mistake unlike boyfriend who can make them into infinity and beyond ....

Just my opinion but if Maurer hadn’t got concussed I think JG never sees the field again unless it was mop up duty and would probably already be in the portal. I’ll give him some credit tho as he did help win some games but damn if he isn’t hard to watch most of the time. I can’t think of a more inaccurate quarterback. Wideouts have made him look a lot better than he was in most cases. Hopefully Maurer stays and gives Bailey a run for his money.

BM has way too small of a sample size to make that comparison . Not to mention every pass he throws is cold from sitting on the bench and is pressured by the expectation that he only gets one mistake unlike boyfriend who can make them into infinity and beyond ....

Got it....the answer when a young QB throws statistically twice as many picks and completes 12% fewer passes is to let him play more than the guy who doesn't turn the ball over and completes more balls.

JFC. I am so glad they didn't look for cantidates on VolNation during out last coaching search.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Just my opinion but if Maurer hadn’t got concussed I think JG never sees the field again unless it was mop up duty and would probably already be in the portal. I’ll give him some credit tho as he did help win some games but damn if he isn’t hard to watch most of the time. I can’t think of a more inaccurate quarterback. Wideouts have made him look a lot better than he was in most cases. Hopefully Maurer stays and gives Bailey a run for his money.
K town is about to rain ALL KINDS of stats on you.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
BM gives us the same threat that Ramsey gave IU last night. Stats or not, the eye test proves it. He immediately makes our offense lethal when he comes in. Does he make bonehead decisions throwing the ball sometimes, Yes, has he had 3 years to stop making those same mistakes and yet keeps making them, NO.

Last edited:
If that were true why did JG replace Maurer at Ky? I don't think his concussions played any role in him not being able to beat out JG at the end of the year.

If that were true why did JG replace Maurer at Ky? I don't think his concussions played any role in him not being able to beat out JG at the end of the year.
Well after two injuries and missing alot of practice he was not as sharp as the coaches hoped he would. It wasn't only the missed passes but mostly because in the RPO we had several big runs there and he pulled and forced a pass. Coaches then understood he had missed to much time on practice field and mostly live game situations. But as to this topic I believe you can see that Coach wanted him to be the guy all along after Florida game. Unfortunately two neck or head injuries messed up there plans.

JG beats BM and HB for starting job. BM over HB on depth chart. HB transfers to Clemson, wins Heisman and Natty. Would be the most Vol thing to happen.

I said earlier he played his best when we needed him most. I respect him for that but I think 8 wins is the ceiling with him as our starter. Maybe he turns the corner this off season and wins the Heisman next year and if he does I will be the first to say I was wrong.
So you're saying that this year JG reached his full potential with the 8 wins this season and you believe the team will not improve any next year and that we can only expect 8 wins next year with JG?

because if you’d payed attention JP was planning on playing JG in every game Maurer started. It couldn’t be due to performance given he only had the ball 8.5 min and threw for 100 and ran for 20. He was quietly having a really good game.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
So you're saying that this year JG reached his full potential with the 8 wins this season and you believe the team will not improve any next year and that we can only expect 8 wins next year with JG?
If the light comes on for him but at this point I have no faith. He has shown flashes of being a very good QB but then he makes the freshman like mistakes he made last night.

True. A missed field goal that should have been buttered bread for the lead with barely two minutes left took care of the outcome of that game. Barring a kick return TD, that field goal, made, would have ended that game.
Woulda coulda and shoulda are ways middle school kids debate each other and you have no way of knowing what would have happened had he made the field goal.

If the light comes on for him but at this point I have no faith. He has shown flashes of being a very good QB but then he makes the freshman like mistakes he made last night.
It’s safe to say we see half good JG and half bad JG. I think that’s fair to believe. It’s a 12 game schedule so I say 6-6 or 7-5 given a slightly tougher schedule.

K town want it both ways. He only wants us to talk about JG’s good and ignore the bad but he wants to point out all the bad in BM and ignore the good.
Balance in the universe. Maurer’s side is covered already.

No narrative. You just can't compare stats on 75 attempts verses over 250 attempts. What you can say is that as a true freshman, not great stats, not horrible stats. As a RSJ, not good stats. But, you can't compare one against the other until the numbers are closer together. I would yield if BM was up over 150 attempts and showing more of a trend.
75 pass attempts is equivalent to nearly 4 games in our system.

VN Store

Back