Maurer’s Instagram Post

Pruitt has shown no inclination for playing any other QB than Guarantano. If he stays for 2020, battling Bailey for the backup spot isn't in Maurer's best interest if he can go to a team with a competent QB coach and have a legit chance at starting in 2021.
I'm not defending how Guarantano has played, but this is just wrong. Maurer was given several chances to play during the course of the season. Look at both the Mississippi State and Kentucky games. He was inconsistent at best, erratic at worst. He was given a fair chance to win the job in those games. He simply didn't play very well.

I'm not defending how Guarantano has played, but this is just wrong. Maurer was given several chances to play during the course of the season. Look at both the Mississippi State and Kentucky games. He was inconsistent at best, erratic at worst. He was given a fair chance to win the job in those games. He simply didn't play very well.
He made 2 mistakes vs MSU but otherwise played great. The KY game he only had the ball for 8.5 minutes and almost none in the first quarter due to a 10+ min drive to open the game by KY. He may not have been himself but throwing for 100 yards in less than a quarter says he wasn’t bad either. Truth is he hasn’t been BAD in any game he was prepared for. He just made mistakes as any freshman would.

He made 2 mistakes vs MSU but otherwise played great. The KY game he only had the ball for 8.5 minutes and almost none in the first quarter due to a 10+ min drive to open the game by KY. He may not have been himself but throwing for 100 yards in less than a quarter says he wasn’t bad either. Truth is he hasn’t been BAD in any game he was prepared for. He just made mistakes as any freshman would.
Maurer only threw 7 passes vs Mississippi State and 2 of them were intercepted. That will get a QB benched. Maurer was 7/16 vs Kentucky. The poster I was responding to said that Pruitt had shown no inclination to play anyone but Guarantano, which isn't true. Maurer played... and he was inconsistent.

Maurer only threw 7 passes vs Mississippi State and 2 of them were intercepted. That will get a QB benched. Maurer was 7/16 vs Kentucky. The poster I was responding to said that Pruitt had shown no inclination to play anyone but Guarantano, which isn't true. Maurer played... and he was inconsistent.
I don’t agree he wasn’t given a chance but I’m sure what he’s referring to is the fact that Pruitt has been very transparent in wanting JG to the point it didn’t matter how either of them played. JG was allowed SO many freshman mistakes before he finally got benched. And even then his hand was forced. Maurer was allowed a half with NO mistakes vs KY. JG stinks it up vs Vandy and plays the entire game. He stunk it up tonight and Maurer was given a drive. Pruitt has made public comments that the plan in every game Maurer started was to play JG as well. How much of a “chance” is that really? I see where he’s coming from

I don’t agree he wasn’t given a chance but I’m sure what he’s referring to is the fact that Pruitt has been very transparent in wanting JG to the point it didn’t matter how either of them played. JG was allowed SO many freshman mistakes before he finally got benched. And even then his hand was forced. Maurer was allowed a half with NO mistakes vs KY. JG stinks it up vs Vandy and plays the entire game. He stunk it up tonight and Maurer was given a drive. Pruitt has made public comments that the plan in every game Maurer started was to play JG as well. How much of a “chance” is that really? I see where he’s coming from
I'm sure that Pruitt wishes that Maurer and Shrout had gotten more action. We were in a lot of low scoring and close games the 2nd half of the season, where ball security was crucial. Pruitt went with the more experienced QB. Still, Maurer did get more playing time than most true freshman QB's ... and the results were mixed.

His “flaw” is lack of experience to make better decisions. That fixes itself over time but you need the coaches that understand that and are willing to make the sacrifice NOW for the greater good of the future. *ie Bo Nix/ Gus. As a coach I’m sure you know this. We KNOW what JG is at this point. Do we KNOW what Maurer could be given the same opportunity? No. So as a coach myself, right now, I agree he scares the hell out of you. But as a coach you gotta see the potential of how hard he would be to defend once he played enough for the game to slow down. That third down conversion was all him and natural talent. He improvised off schedule. That 8 yard run was pocket awareness and mobility. Those near ints were bad decisions but right on target. That’s a deadly combination of skills once he gets it and the last kind of qb you wish to see playing against you. If he leaves I’m telling you, in the future we’ll be looking back on Pruitt and right now kicking ourselves and blaming Pruitt for how he handled it.
my question is..why Brian come in and do the exact thing JG did..not look for the open guy...something is not right.,,imo

Reactions: Vol Main
I doubt Shrout is transferring. Wouldn't even make sense at this point. He loves it in Knoxville, his gf is at UT, and if he graduates after 3 years, he could transfer w/o sitting out a year, which makes more sense.

Not sure about Maurer. Maurer has a shot at the starting job next season or 2021. If he leaves, it's sort of an admittance that he thinks Bailey is going to win the competition against him.

Devils advocate: what makes you think Pruitt will give him a fair shot? It doesn’t appear he gave him a real one all year.

my question is..why Brian come in and do the exact thing JG did..not look for the open guy...something is not right.,,imo
What's not right is that Maurer is not as good as this guy says. BM is still in the throwing off his back leg back over the middle into traffic because a big DL was about to hit him phase, watch his 3rd throw for video evidence.

What's not right is that Maurer is not as good as this guy says. BM is still in the throwing off his back leg back over the middle into traffic because a big DL was about to hit him phase, watch his 3rd throw for video evidence.
Yes BM was trying to force things to make out for JGs 10 points that he gave up...

Bailey can not get here quick enough..........................If we had only played the entire game like we played the last 8 minuets it would have been a blow out !

His “flaw” is lack of experience to make better decisions. That fixes itself over time but you need the coaches that understand that and are willing to make the sacrifice NOW for the greater good of the future. *ie Bo Nix/ Gus. As a coach I’m sure you know this. We KNOW what JG is at this point. Do we KNOW what Maurer could be given the same opportunity? No. So as a coach myself, right now, I agree he scares the hell out of you. But as a coach you gotta see the potential of how hard he would be to defend once he played enough for the game to slow down. That third down conversion was all him and natural talent. He improvised off schedule. That 8 yard run was pocket awareness and mobility. Those near ints were bad decisions but right on target. That’s a deadly combination of skills once he gets it and the last kind of qb you wish to see playing against you. If he leaves I’m telling you, in the future we’ll be looking back on Pruitt and right now kicking ourselves and blaming Pruitt for how he handled it.
Potential he has but yesterday BM was not gonna win that game. He was throwing at least 2 to balls that should have been picked off.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
-I don't want him to but he may be headed for one of these-- Arkansas, NC State, Boise State, or USCe.
--Now, see here, WoodsmanVol! On what grounds do you base this insanity!?
-I'm insane by default so it stands to reason my claims are as well. Sides that, my crystal ball is foggy right now.

Sorry VN, Shirley woke me up. She often does after we win. The water vapor in the air gets condensed when she does that. I'm online in the workroom with the door locked. I do that when enough is too much and she's in predator mode. Dayum Xenaque wench.

And the other QB was trying to throw interceptions and did
Listen I have no ax to grind or favorite qb as many do on here. JG played bad yesterday but BM put more balls in harms way in one series than JG did the rest of the game. If he stays in we have no shot and he throws at least 2 picks in the 4th.

Listen I have no ax to grind or favorite qb as many do on here. JG played bad yesterday but BM put more balls in harms way in one series than JG did the rest of the game. If he stays in we have no shot and he throws at least 2 picks in the 4th.
I'm glad we won. The problem is is no player has ever performed well looking over shoulder when he had pulled for every little mistake. If JG had been pulled for the 1st 2 incompletion see through where the 1st to badd passes he threw he wouldn't played pacifier series of the 1st game....

It's the same concept of putting in a freshman or a rookie in a baseball game down 3 runs with the bases loaded and realizing that hes going to over sling and force it..
Or the basketball player trying to Jack up 3 pointers to get the team back. The only way you learn not to do that is by coach trust an opportunity to stay in the game

Reactions: orangealways
I'm glad we won. The problem is is no player has ever performed well looking over shoulder when he had pulled for every little mistake. If JG had been pulled for the 1st 2 incompletion see through where the 1st to badd passes he threw he wouldn't played pacifier series of the 1st game....

It's the same concept of putting in a freshman or a rookie in a baseball game down 3 runs with the bases loaded and realizing that hes going to over sling and force it..
Or the basketball player trying to Jack up 3 pointers to get the team back. The only way you learn not to do that is by coach trust an opportunity to stay in the game
Putting BM in for one series was expected (it’s not like they didn’t do it before) and I’m sure everyone including BM knew that. I could tell by JG’s demeanor he was going back in. In fact I said it at the time to the people around me and almost got lynched.
BM is not going anywhere.

He's a true Fr who challenged an established RS Jr for the starting job on moxie and raw talent. If he chooses to transfer then I wish him well.... but why would he? Anyone who believes JG is invincible at this point needs their head checked.
Mauer is one concussion away from never playing football again. Good raw talent but
I’m not sure how many snaps he has in him

If you want to know why JG is better than Mauer RIGHT NOW...you just need to look at the stat line.

JG - 257 ATT 152 CMP 16 TD 8 INT
BM 75 ATT 35 CMP 2 TD 5 INT

SO
JG throws a TD every 16 passes....BM throws one every 35.7
JG Throws a PICK every 32 attempts, BM throws one every 15
JG Is completing 59.14% and BM is 46.67%

If you can't understand that then you really need to take some time to learn the game of football before you continue to talk about football in public.

JG plays because he doesn't turn the football over as often. This time RARELY can win when they lose the turnover margin...

BM Statistically throws more than twice as many picks as JG and half the TDs while completing 12% fewer of his passes.

BM very well might be more talented than JG but HE ISNT doing a good job of preparing himself or of taking advantage of the opportunities he is given..

Don't get me wrong. I want him to stay...but if he couldn't beat out JG....he's not going to stand a chance VS HB.

Last edited:
And JG threw an actual pick 6, along with at least 2 other near interceptions. Not to mention spending the fist half consistently throwing the ball 2 feet too high for all of his receivers.

The difference is that JG got all of the first team reps in pracrice and still played like hot garbage for 95% of his playing time, while Maurer gets second team reps and gets yanked after his first mistake even though he was moving the offense.
In the past month UT coaches I’m sure have prepared for putting BM for a series. You could tell that is what was happening last night by the way was JG was acting, he knew he was going back in. Fact is BM does not know the offense well enough to know where everyone is and can’t anticipate to make changes. He can run and he can throw but he can’t run the offense yet.

Maurer didn’t look happy and I don’t blame him. I hope he sticks it out because I think he can and will beat out Bailey if it fair. Although it certainly seems he won’t be given that opportunity so there’s a possibility of adding another one to that list.
He was probably unhappy because he went in and played poorly. He couldn’t have been upset that he should stayed in there.

VN Store

Back