Maurer’s Instagram Post

I really like the kid’s attitude and willingness to compete.

He’s shown some flashes at the beginning of the year but he’s not that good of a QB.

Harrison Bailey just seems more college ready than any of the other QBs on our roster.

Anyone else see his post on Instagram? He posted a picture with a trophy that said God Bless but in small writing it said, “new journey ahead.” Interesting. What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are you should stop crawling up the a$$es of 18/19 year-old kids. They say and do crazy sh*t. They're kids. Don't sweat it.

Why the F are we worried about it? No one at QB set the world on fire this season. If Maurer transfers its bc he doesn't believe he can win the job. If he doesnt believe he can win the job here, well then he's probably not a starting QB at a power 5 program.

Based on 3 of the 4 teams playing for the NC this season, QBs getting disgruntled and entering the portal bodes well to pick a good one up from there.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Based on 3 of the 4 teams playing for the NC this season, QBs getting disgruntled and entering the portal bodes well to pick a good one up from there. If a really good QB is on our roster and is forced to watch JG flounder around again ahead of him, I expect to see a QB on our roster not to be there the following season.

Pruitt has shown no inclination for playing any other QB than Guarantano. If he stays for 2020, battling Bailey for the backup spot isn't in Maurer's best interest if he can go to a team with a competent QB coach and have a legit chance at starting in 2021.
Because Pruitt wants to win. Look I get it, JG has been bad for a large part of the year. As bad as he was, maurer looked even worse when he was given a shot. He has to learn to quit throwing into coverage.

Because Pruitt wants to win. Look I get it, JG has been bad for a large part of the year. As bad as he was, maurer looked even worse when he was given a shot. He has to learn to quit throwing into coverage.

So the expectation is that JG gets all the first team reps in practice, and Maurer is supposed to play better than him after he gets put in for a single series after JG was left in for 2.5 quarters and wasn't pulled until his second interception was returned got a TD?

His “flaw” is lack of experience to make better decisions. That fixes itself over time but you need the coaches that understand that and are willing to make the sacrifice NOW for the greater good of the future. *ie Bo Nix/ Gus. As a coach I’m sure you know this. We KNOW what JG is at this point. Do we KNOW what Maurer could be given the same opportunity? No. So as a coach myself, right now, I agree he scares the hell out of you. But as a coach you gotta see the potential of how hard he would be to defend once he played enough for the game to slow down. That third down conversion was all him and natural talent. He improvised off schedule. That 8 yard run was pocket awareness and mobility. Those near ints were bad decisions but right on target. That’s a deadly combination of skills once he gets it and the last kind of qb you wish to see playing against you. If he leaves I’m telling you, in the future we’ll be looking back on Pruitt and right now kicking ourselves and blaming Pruitt for how he handled it.
You keep trying to shoehorn this point and it never gains validity. When you’re building a program, you DO NOT SACRIFICE WINS to develop a QB! You play the guy that helps you win NOW. That’s a NFL concept that you’re championing and Pruitt can’t subscribe whilst rebuilding this team. Now arguing that Maurer is the better option is fair game...but that doesn’t seem to be your angle. If Maurer leaves before his eligibility ends, you won’t be around to kick your own ass...he’s the only reason you’re here.

So the expectation is that JG gets all the first team reps in practice, and Maurer is supposed to play better than him after he gets put in for a single series after JG was left in for 2.5 quarters and wasn't pulled until his second interception was returned got a TD?
It wasn’t the right time to “develop” a QB this way. We needed wins desperately this year. JG gave us the best shot at those this year. Hopefully next year that will be someone else because we know JG’s ceiling. But for this year, he was our best option.

And on top of that, Maurer was getting a large part of first team reps during practice after JG broke his hand.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Maurer looked like a child on the field last night and threw the ball into double coverage just like a child
I think that will be the last time Brian Maurer plays for Tennessee. I just get the feeling he will transfer back home to somewhere like UCF,USF,Florida International or Florida Atlantic.

Reactions: orangealways
It wasn’t the right time to “develop” a QB this way. We needed wins desperately this year. JG gave us the best shot at those this year. Hopefully next year that will be someone else because we know JG’s ceiling. But for this year, he was our best option.

And on top of that, Maurer was getting a large part of first team reps during practice after JG broke his hand.

So when is it the "right time" to develop a QB? At what point do you stop sinking time and effort into a RS Senior with 28 (27 regulation) passing TDs in his entire career?

If he goes he goes. IMO it’s no big loss. He didn’t sit the world on fire 2 td 5 interceptions most of which were in the red zone. It’s JG or Harrison Bailey next year.

VN Store

Back