Matt Campbell (Iowa State)

Poll: Hire Matt Campbell?

• Yes

Votes: 575 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 17.7%

• Total voters
I just think he deserves a shot to get it right. I mean the QB thing is odd—I think he the fanbase would of been more understanding losing w/HB but I really believe he’s just trying to win and thinks right now JG is the best option. However, you do have to make that trade at some point to protect the future and Pruitt just has not done it. I get why that frustrates everyone. But our overall roster talent is better and I like the class coming next year. I just think this year has sucked for everyone and I’m still leaning with his potential.
Fair enough. If you were selling used cars, I would’ve just bought a 07 Ford Taurus from you.😎
GBO!!

Reactions: TC 83
Campbell's 6 mill + Pruitt's 12 mill = NOT HAPPENING

No way have we got boosters willing to pony up 18 million in buyout cash plus salary at what you would assume would be 5 to 6 a year and assistants to boot.

All that aside, Campbell does check a lot of the boxes...develops talent, coaches in game well, knows how to win, seems to run a clean program. My only issue is can he recruit and develop enough to be top shelf SEC?
Going on what I’ve read/heard, $20M to buyout Pruitt AND staff. I’m sure the powers to be would want to retain a couple(Tee and Graham). With that said, we probably have a reasonable shot at Bill Campbell, from your local high school...
GBO!!

Reactions: IndianaVol
This is the mentality that prevents Tennessee from making good hires.

He's at Iowa State. Iowa State has played Oklahoma 85 times. They have beaten Oklahoma a total of 7 times. They are 7-76-2 against Oklahoma.

Matt Campbell is 2-3 vs. Oklahoma while at Iowa State. One of those Oklahoma teams had the Heisman Trophy winner and went to the CFB Playoff. The other is currently ranked #14.

Iowa State hasn't had 4 winning seasons in a row since the 1920's. Calvin Coolidge was President. He has clinched that this season

Frankly, with his resume, he could do better.
Yep, many of us UT fans cannot comprehend relativity when it comes to coaches toiling at lesser schools. Mullen was dismissed by some of our brightest because he had not won an Sec or national championship at MSU. Your fellow gator fans are probably glad that Florida’s admins are smarter than some of us on Volnation.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
IT would be real nice if Fulmer would call this man and see if he would be interested in taking the UT job after this year..he would be a hell of a hire bar none....still young...Iowa state wins the Big 12 if they beat WV to.
Would be smart to give him a call, but there’s no way he will...

Reactions: franklinboy
Sh.ty UT football, COVID, lock-downs and disputed Presidential election. Which one of these was predictable last Thanksgiving '19....?

*hint* - (the first one)

yea, but he could come in here and have an office right next to a hall of fame national championship winning coach who could mentor him and guide him through rough times. What more could a bright young up and coming coach want?

what kink of reputation do you think Fulmer has among active modern day coaches?

Has anybody ever asked Mike Leach what he thinks of Phil Fulmer.

I think volnation fandom is probably not in sync with reality and national perception regarding Phil Fulmer!

Those of you thinking Fulmer is going to make a coaching change this season are just as crazy as those of you thinking Pruitt is going to make a qb change this season.

At this point you just have to take it on the chin and hope for a better round next year.

I’d be willing to give Matt Campbell a shot, but would Matt Campbell be willing to give us one?
GBO!!

I know—I’m in the slim minority that wants to keep Pruitt another year. I think he deserves another season.

Wants to keep him is one thing. Saying he *deserves* another year is patently ridiculous. He's done absolutely nothing to deserve another year.

Words have meaning, and that one doesn't apply here.

Reactions: BIGAL27
I made a post of my Big Board of Coaches and Matt Campbell is #1. I know that people can disagree with one another on here but Matt Campbell absolutely would be the #1 slam dunk hire that could be made. Yeah, maybe he'll go to Michigan or Penn State but he's the best guy that's a younger coach that you can get.

I don't know why people can't comprehend what he's done at Iowa State and how impressive that is. Look at his Iowa State stats the past few years:

2017 (8-5) Strength of Schedule 42

L 44-41 Iowa (8-5)
W 41-14 @Akron (7-7)
L 17-7 Texas (7-6)
W 38-31 @ Oklahoma (12-2)
W 45-0 Kansas (1-11)
W 31-13 @ Texas Tech (6-7)
W 14-7 TCU (11-3)
L 20-16 @ WVU (7-6)
L 49-42 Ok St (10-3)
W 23-13 @ Baylor (1-11)
L 20-19 @ Kansas St (8-5)
W 21-20 vs Memphis (10-3) Liberty Bowl

Opponents record 88-69

They didn't lose to anyone they should have beaten on paper. They beat two top 5 teams in the country at the time in Oklahoma and TCU. They beat Memphis in the bowl. They almost beat Oklahoma State. You can argue their worst loss was to a 7-6 West Virginia team.

2018 (8-5) Strength of Schedule 35

L 13-3 @ Iowa (9-4)
L 37-27 vs Oklahoma (12-2)
W 26-13 vs Akron (4-8)
L 17-14 @ TCU (7-6)
W 48-42 @ Oklahoma St (7-6)
W 30-14 vs WVU (8-4)
W 40-31 vs Texas Tech (5-7)
W 27-3 @ Kansas (3-9)
W 28-14 vs Baylor (7-6)
L 24-10 @ Texas (10-4)
W 42-38 vs KSU (5-7)
L 28-26 vs Washington State (11-2) Alamo Bowl

Opponents record 88-65

Their worst loss was at TCU who finished 7-6. They again beat everyone they should have. Largest margin of defeat was a 14 point loss at Texas.

2019 (7-6) SOS 21

L 18-17 vs Iowa (10-3)
W 72-20 vs UL Monroe (5-7)
L 23-21 @ Baylor (11-3)
W 49-24 vs TCU (5-7)
W 38-14 @ WVU (5-7)
W 34-24 @ Texas Tech (4-8)
L 34-27 vs Oklahoma St (8-5)
L 42-41 @ Oklahoma (12-2)
W 23-21 vs Texas (8-5)
W 41-31 vs Kansas (3-9)
L 27-17 @ KSU (8-5)
L 33-9 vs Notre Dame (11-2) Camping World Bowl

Opponents record 90-63

His biggest loss occurs here to Notre Dame by 24 points in the bowl. Worst loss that year was to an 8-5 Kansas State team. Lost to Oklahoma by one point. Beat everyone they should have beaten. Lost to Iowa by 1 point.

2020 5-2 SOS 38

L 31-14 vs Louisiana (7-1)
W 37-34 @ TCU (3-4)
W 37-30 vs Oklahoma (6-2)
W 31-15 vs Texas Tech (3-5)
L 24-21 @ Oklahoma St (5-2)
W 52-22 @ Kansas (0-7)
W 38-31 vs Baylor (1-5)
W 23-20 @ Texas (5-3)

They are about to win the Big 12 and play in the title game. Yeah they lost to Louisiana and that's definitely the worst loss he's had at ISU but they are 7-1 so it isn't as bad as it looked at the beginning of the year. Only other loss this year at Oklahoma State by 3 points. Again has beaten Oklahoma. Beats everyone he should.

So please tell me how Matt Campbell wouldn't be at the top of the wish list? Iowa State has the longest streak of not winning a conference championship in the history of the Power 5 conferences in NCAA football. In history - he's about to do something that hasn't been done at Iowa State. If you are on the side of the fence that thinks Campbell isn't a good hire I just don't know what to tell you. I don't think you know much about football if that's the case. The guy is like a younger version of Urban Meyer without Urban's baggage. Why wouldn't you want someone like that? I mean we may not get the guy but he's the one I'd go for first and do whatever I could to get him.

You know who else had a loss to a G5 team in his 4th full season as HC? Fulmer. And Memphis in 96 was waaaaaaaaay worse than Louisiana this year. And we were waaaaaaaaaay more talented than Iowa St.

You know who else had a loss to a G5 team in his 4th full season as HC? Fulmer. And Memphis in 96 was waaaaaaaaay worse than Louisiana this year. And we were waaaaaaaaaay more talented than Iowa St.
Campbell will never have the success Fulmer did

This is the mentality that prevents Tennessee from making good hires.

He's at Iowa State. Iowa State has played Oklahoma 85 times. They have beaten Oklahoma a total of 7 times. They are 7-76-2 against Oklahoma.

Matt Campbell is 2-3 vs. Oklahoma while at Iowa State. One of those Oklahoma teams had the Heisman Trophy winner and went to the CFB Playoff. The other is currently ranked #14.

Iowa State hasn't had 4 winning seasons in a row since the 1920's. Calvin Coolidge was President. He has clinched that this season

Frankly, with his resume, he could do better.
Your line of argumentation, while 100% on point, will be lost on most people here. There are still significant portions of our fanbase who think that Dan Mullen is garbage because he "only" went 69-46 at a red-headed stepchild cow college.

Reactions: EZE
Tennessee could do worse than Matt Campbell (and probably will). That said, Phil Fulmer wouldnt even sniff in Campbell’s direction since he doesn’t have SEC experience. If there is a next hire during the Fulmer era; it will be someone with deep ties to this conference.

Yep, Randy Sanders.

VN Store

Back