Matt Campbell (Iowa State)

Poll: Hire Matt Campbell?

• Yes

Votes: 575 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 17.7%

• Total voters
He would def be on my short list of coaches he’s a very good coach, but we know Phil will keep Beldar thru the 2022 season.

Tennessee could do worse than Matt Campbell (and probably will). That said, Phil Fulmer wouldnt even sniff in Campbell’s direction since he doesn’t have SEC experience. If there is a next hire during the Fulmer era; it will be someone with deep ties to this conference.

Iowa State is a average team in a bad conference, so this guy is going to come here and win in the SEC
He’s taking his 45th ranked recruiting classes at a place that hasn’t won a conference title in 100+ years, and beating teams that would beat the University of Tennessee by 2-3 touchdowns. Is this really that difficult of a concept for you??

This is the mentality that prevents Tennessee from making good hires.

He's at Iowa State. Iowa State has played Oklahoma 85 times. They have beaten Oklahoma a total of 7 times. They are 7-76-2 against Oklahoma.

Matt Campbell is 2-3 vs. Oklahoma while at Iowa State. One of those Oklahoma teams had the Heisman Trophy winner and went to the CFB Playoff. The other is currently ranked #14.

Iowa State hasn't had 4 winning seasons in a row since the 1920's. Calvin Coolidge was President. He has clinched that this season

Frankly, with his resume, he could do better.
You’re right. But we are one of the dumbest fan bases in the country and our stupidity is only outpaced by our AD and so Campbell won’t be considered or we won’t pursue him with any vigor. In fairness, I think his buyout is a massive impediment and we are darn near broke. I still can’t believe we did not go hard after Mullen while UF was flirting with Chip Kelly and so on and instead zeroed in on - shudders - Schiano.

He’s taking his 45th ranked recruiting classes at a place that hasn’t won a conference title in 100+ years, and beating teams that would beat the University of Tennessee by 2-3 touchdowns. Is this really that difficult of a concept for you??
The orange overalls brigade doesn’t like coaches who ain’t from the south and understand dem some sec football.

He beat those two teams this year but what has he actually accomplished absolutely nothing. So he has the 45th ranked class. So you're telling me he can't recruit but you want him here.

He beat those two teams this year but what has he actually accomplished absolutely nothing. So he has the 45th ranked class. So you're telling me he can't recruit but you want him here.
He’s wrapped a winning season for the fourth consecutive year. That’s the first time since the 1920’s that Iowa State has had four straight winning seasons. And the recruiting part is laughable. No one is recruiting top 25 classes to Aimes, IA. Just because someone doesn’t bring in top classes at a mid-level P5 job doesn’t mean that they can’t recruit.

Last edited:

He’s about to play for a conference championship at the traditional WORST school in the conference. No one can recruit to Ames IA. His recruiting classes wouldn’t be the same in Knoxville. I don’t know how else to explain this to you guys. Let me try this.....Nick Saban never won an outright conference title until the 2001 SEC Championship game where Fulmer **** the bed. Saban was THREE F*ING games over %500 at Michigan State until his final year where they “broke through “ at 9-2. Tell me again how not winning conference championships at a non traditional powerhouse that struggles to recruit is a barometer of coaching talent.

He's at Iowa State. Iowa State has played Oklahoma 85 times. They have beaten Oklahoma a total of 7 times. They are 7-76-2 against Oklahoma.

Matt Campbell is 2-3 vs. Oklahoma while at Iowa State. One of those Oklahoma teams had the Heisman Trophy winner and went to the CFB Playoff. The other is currently ranked #14.

Iowa State hasn't had 4 winning seasons in a row since the 1920's. Calvin Coolidge was President. He has clinched that this season

Your mama

Sadly, I had to laugh.

The orange overalls brigade doesn’t like coaches who ain’t from the south and understand dem some sec football.
Not sure If you were blessed to stumble across the thread where Fickell would fail here because he’s “Too Catholic “.

He’s about to play for a conference championship at the traditional WORST school in the conference. No one can recruit to Ames IA. His recruiting classes wouldn’t be the same in Knoxville. I don’t know how else to explain this to you guys. Let me try this.....Nick Saban never won an outright conference title until the 2001 SEC Championship game where Fulmer **** the bed. Saban was THREE F*ING games over %500 at Michigan State until his final year where they “broke through “ at 9-2. Tell me again how not winning conference championships at a non traditional powerhouse that struggles to recruit is a barometer of coaching talent.
Ok hopefully they hire him here and in three years we will be having this same conversation looking for a coach

Ok hopefully they hire him here and in three years we will be having this same conversation looking for a coach
No dude we won’t. He’s on the short list for both the Jags and the Jets. Both of whom will be in position to take a franchise QB. So UT will dodge the bullet.

No dude we won’t. He’s on the short list for both the Jags and the Jets. Both of whom will be in position to take a franchise QB. So UT will dodge the bullet.
I really am at the point where I could care less. I love my team but my God when is enough going to be enough. I watch us play and we look terrible but then I watch other teams play win or lose they look so much more prepared. This team here is making me not want to watch football at all. I don't know what the answer is but I hope someone figures it out.

Just stupid. this the type of fan who didn’t want to hire Mullin because he hadn’t won a national championship at Mississippi state. Unfortunately he has so many better options than the vols. This is the thinking by our athletic department. Low I.Q. Is everywhere.
🤦‍♂️No I liked DM. Obviously it’s my opinion of MC. I’ve watched his career at ISU and he has done great—but I would not dump JP right now to trade for MC. That’s a deal I just would not make at the moment. 13 games where ISU is +3.5 dog to -3 favorite, he was 3-10 before today and that was a pretty avg TX team today. Plus that opening day loss at home to Billy Napier was pretty bad too. They were manhandled by LA.

Dude is taking the historically worst program in the Big 12 (and it's not even close) to the B12 title game. This wouldn't be a homerun hire. It would be a grand slam hire.

I doubt we pull the trigger.

Reactions: sonofUT62 and EZE
Campbell will be waiting for that call from Ann Arbor to make a move, Tennessee doesn't have enough money to take out Pruitt and pay a multi million dollar buyout of a top tier coach right now, reality bites, we can thank Fulmer for this insideous agreement with Pruitt.

Once Blonde Donde has to start bailing out the athletic department with real university dollars to the tune of $30 - $40 million this year and again in fiscal 2022, the Tennessee House and Senate higher education committees need to step in and see what in the world these clowns are doing throwing around the kind of money they don't have anymore, examine the contracts and figure out who owns them and start trying to bring some financial sanity to the people running the university who have none.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougAtkins91

VN Store

Back