Matt Campbell (Iowa State)

Poll: Hire Matt Campbell?

• Yes

Votes: 575 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 17.7%

• Total voters
Campbell’s buyout is 6 million. That’s a tough pill to swallow with paying Pruitt to leave. He’s a good coach and someone will eventually hire him away.

On a side note, I would be talking to the person that drew up that contract and trying to get them to work in the AD here. Somehow we always end up over a barrel. Iowa State will have a large chunk of money to pay their next coach if Campbell leaves.

Reactions: sonofUT62
But he’s having success at Iowa State, which is usually considered one of the worst P5 programs. Aimes, IA has to be a tough place to get recruits too.
I agree w/you —it’s a bunch of corn and corn fed lasses but at this point I just wouldn’t make that trade for Campbell.

Not sure If you were blessed to stumble across the thread where Fickell would fail here because he’s “Too Catholic “.
What?! Oh, I missed that one. I can't even wrap my head around the logic behind something like that...

Campbell’s buyout is 6 million. That’s a tough pill to swallow with paying Pruitt to leave. He’s a good coach and someone will eventually hire him away.

On a side note, I would be talking to the person that drew up that contract and trying to get them to work in the AD here. Somehow we always end up over a barrel. Iowa State will have a large chunk of money to pay their next coach if Campbell leaves.

He’s been there 15 + years. In addition to Campbell he hired Chizik and two basketball coaches who were poached by NBA teams.

He beat those two teams this year but what has he actually accomplished absolutely nothing. So he has the 45th ranked class. So you're telling me he can't recruit but you want him here.

Reminds me of an old saying:

Better to stay silent and let everyone think you are clueless, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

He’s wrapped a winning season for the fourth consecutive year. That’s the first time since the 1920’s that Iowa State has had four straight winning seasons. And the recruiting part is laughable. No one is recruiting top 25 classes to Aimes, IA. Just because someone doesn’t bring in top classes at a mid-level P5 job doesn’t mean that they can’t recruit.

That’s not even a mid-level P5 job.

Reactions: sonofUT62
Freeze would be the cheaper option, by far (much lower buyout), and I think they are equal candidates. As much as I am high on Matt Campbell, Freeze makes more sense.
I’m not too caught up on where a coach is from, but I really feel like Freeze would have an easier time pulling together a staff that’s connected in Memphis, Georgia, Fla and Mississippi. Campbell can definitely coach but he might struggle to recruit the first year.

IT would be real nice if Fulmer would call this man and see if he would be interested in taking the UT job after this year..he would be a hell of a hire bar none....still young...Iowa state wins the Big 12 if they beat WV to.

But how would he be at recruiting in an entirely different area?

If Cutcliffe died, his 4 day old corpse could out coach Pruitt.

I think Cut. would do good at ut, not sure he would take it, he has it made at duke. But unlike others who say good coaches do not want to come to ut. I don't think Cut would go anywhere right now.

I think Cut. would do good at ut, not sure he would take it, he has it made at duke. But unlike others who say good coaches do not want to come to ut. I don't think Cut would go anywhere right now.

I don't think he'd choose to work under Fulmer as AD.

Freeze would be the cheaper option, by far (much lower buyout), and I think they are equal candidates. As much as I am high on Matt Campbell, Freeze makes more sense.

Imo Freeze would do a much better job here than Campbell

Campbell's 6 mill + Pruitt's 12 mill = NOT HAPPENING

No way have we got boosters willing to pony up 18 million in buyout cash plus salary at what you would assume would be 5 to 6 a year and assistants to boot.

All that aside, Campbell does check a lot of the boxes...develops talent, coaches in game well, knows how to win, seems to run a clean program. My only issue is can he recruit and develop enough to be top shelf SEC?

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I had much rather have Freeze, he would win at ut and be in contention for sec east in 4 years or less.
I'd be happy as hell either way. Both can coach. Both can program build. Both would be vast improvements over what we have.

Freeze wants to be back in the SEC. So if he was hired, as long as he didn't get in NCAA trouble, I feel much more confident he would be here 15+ years.

Campbell feels more like Chris Peterson when he was at Boise. He's waiting for his spot. That may be Michigan. May be Texas. May be the NFL. Probably not Tennessee.

VN Store

Back