Matt Campbell (Iowa State)

Poll: Hire Matt Campbell?

• Yes

Votes: 575 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 17.7%

• Total voters
Biggest concern with Chadwell is he inherited a great situation from Moglia. Not sure how good he can rebuild. Campbell can do that.
What?
Are you sure about that??

What makes you say that? They made the junp to FBS the year Moglia decided to leave (the first time). Totally caught Chadwell by surprise. Then he teeter tooters with his involvement with the team. When he finally got out of the way Chadwell led them to a 11-1 season.

All Chadwell has ever done are rebuilds....thats a big reason for his overall record. 1st year bad with constant progress everyear after.
Unlike Huepel who is slowly running UCF into the ground. Which is one reason why Danny White left lol.
Don't get me wrong. I love the hire of White.

Chadwell is a career rebuilder ...so far. He is exactly the coach we need.

I like Matt Campbell. Here's what people don't understand tho...
Big 12 is waaaaaay down. You look at recruiting rankings and their records against out of conference foes. Obviously Texas being down has something to do with that.

Campbell is coaching his boys up good. They get sky high for their opponents. They relish the "underdog " role. That only works for so long. When they play a team at their talent level (Louisiana 2020) who also is well coached and has a chip on their shoulder....

Point is Campbell needs to recruit better AND put his coaching with that. Because Big 12 is down. SEC is not.

In all honesty he really should be able to recruit better to Iowa State. Not top 25 maybe but definitely top 40. Kentucky recruits in that area or higher.

Lol. Campbell has beaten Lincoln Riley, Gary Patterson, Mario Cristobal and Tom Herman. OU and TCU were both top 5 one year. And he is doing it with a roster comprised of mostly 3* talent.

2017- 26 commits ( 26 3*)

2018- 21 commits (1 4* and 20 3*)

2019- 23 commits (2 4* and 21 3*)

2020- 23 commits (1 4* and 22 3*)

That’s 93 total commits over the past 4 years. With 89 3* players. He has beaten some really good teams. Yeah his first year was rough but since then he has done really well.

2017- 5 total losses by a combined 24 points.

2018- 5 losses by a combined 43 points

2019- 6 losses by a combined 45 points

2020- 3 losses by a combined 26 points

In the last 4 years his biggest loss was to Notre Dame. Your critique of Campbell fails. The guy is one hell of a coach.

What?

What makes you say that? They made the junp to FBS the year Moglia decided to leave (the first time). Totally caught Chadwell by surprise. Then he teeter tooters with his involvement with the team. When he finally got out of the way Chadwell led them to a 11-1 season.

All Chadwell has ever done are rebuilds....thats a big reason for his overall record. 1st year bad with constant progress everyear after.
Unlike Huepel who is slowly running UCF into the ground. Which is one reason why Danny White left lol.

1611446604034.png
:p

and Iowa St would kick Kentucky's ass and Kentucky kicked our ass......
You don't know that.
NC State beat Liberty. Liberty beat Coastal Carolina. Coastal Carolina beat Louisiana. Louisiana beat Iowa State by TWO SCORES.
guess who beat NC State in bowl game? Kentucky...
So you're wrong about that.

See I can do hypothetical/transitive property too.

It wasn't the damn point anyway.
Campbell is flourishing in a CURRENTLY weak conference. Just do the research you'll see. Big 12 is the weakest P5 by far right now.

It amazes me that despite how awful Tennessee has been lately, 8 losing seasons in the last 13 years, we still have fans who think Matt Campbell isn’t good enough for UT.
You need to understand it’s not that he’s not good enough, but rather not a great fit, there are much better options!

What?

Didn’t Chadwell get popped for recruiting violations at his previous stop?

Reactions: BIGAL27
Don’t be so SEC hillbilly.

The SEC sucked this year. The Big 12 went 5-0 in bowls. UT embarrassed UGa, OU made UF their bitch. Iowa St plays 10 P5s a year. Their schedule is harder than the SEC outside of Bama.

We need a coach accustom to winning with less. We’re not beating the top of college football playing the recruiting game.

Look at Iowa St’s results- every game is close, whether that be Texas or Drake. It’s not about talent- it’s the style of play. It’s upper Midwest football, and what we need to play
A UF team missing their ENTIRE offense. Yeah I'm pretty sure Mizzou would have had go with them as well.

Upper widwest style? Like Ohio State spread power offense 🙄?

Part of coaching is Jimmys and Joes. Not just x and os...
And his recruiting is pedestrian.
And that's the difference between him being 8-4, 7-5 Big 12 runner Up VS BIG 12 Champions.

And Big 12 was 0-4 against Sun Belt conference....this year.

Like I said. I like him. If he comes here he needs really strong recruiters. Because that ain't him.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
What?

First, I looked at D1 jobs. I heavily discount stuff lower than that level and I discount stuff at G5 level as compared to P5 level. Chadwell did well at rebuilding Charleston Southern but did bad job at Delta State.

He inherited a far better situation at CCU than Campbell did at ISU. One additional thing to remember about CCU - they were 1 of 2 teams nationally to get in a full spring practice in 2020. Obviously, he gets credit for getting them to 11-1 but that fact still has to be considered.

Chadwell is a good coach but if I had the choice between Campbell and Chadwell, I'm picking Campbell every day of the week. I wouldnt be upset with Chadwell but that is a riskier hire.

You don't know that.
NC State beat Liberty. Liberty beat Coastal Carolina. Coastal Carolina beat Louisiana. Louisiana beat Iowa State by TWO SCORES.
guess who beat NC State in bowl game? Kentucky...
So you're wrong about that.

See I can do hypothetical/transitive property too.

It wasn't the damn point anyway.
Campbell is flourishing in a CURRENTLY weak conference. Just do the research you'll see. Big 12 is the weakest P5 by far right now.
We get it, you don’t follow college football.
The only difference between the Big 12 and the SEC this year is Bama. The SEC wasn’t better than the Big 12 this season, let alone the Big 12 being the worst P5. That title is annually the PAC 12

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Not to most that closely follow the sport. Tennessee is closer to the Nebraska of the SEC. The upside is rooted in dynamics of last century. Don’t get me wrong, much better than Nebraska, but still behind many in the SEC.
You will not convince me.

It's White's choice. If he selects him, I am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Agree. I’ve posted a few times that volnation needs to stay reserve judgment for minimum of three yrs. We will get blown out by teams next yr and the he following, etc but the fans need to keep the pitchforks and for sale signs locked away.

Not to most that closely follow the sport. Tennessee is closer to the Nebraska of the SEC. The upside is rooted in dynamics of last century. Don’t get me wrong, much better than Nebraska, but still behind many in the SEC.
There is alot of local talent growing and it's good for the next 2 years. And probably more.

No one has, so don’t be a fool.
Nearly all of this forum is undefeated against UGa!

He said Kiffin would go 0-fer vs our big 3. That’s guaranteeing whats gonna happen. If saying Kiffin is undefeated vs UGA is a crazy argument, so is saying he is gonna go 0-fer.

🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

VN Store

Back