Matt Campbell (Iowa State)

Poll: Hire Matt Campbell?

• Yes

Votes: 575 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 17.7%

• Total voters
We get it, you don’t follow college football.
The only difference between the Big 12 and the SEC this year is Bama. The SEC wasn’t better than the Big 12 this season, let alone the Big 12 being the worst P5. That title is annually the PAC 12

Here you go with needless insult because some disagrees with you. Go kick rocks dude.

I proved your stupid point for what it was. Get over it...

You don't know that.
NC State beat Liberty. Liberty beat Coastal Carolina. Coastal Carolina beat Louisiana. Louisiana beat Iowa State by TWO SCORES.
guess who beat NC State in bowl game? Kentucky...
So you're wrong about that.

See I can do hypothetical/transitive property too.

It wasn't the damn point anyway.
Campbell is flourishing in a CURRENTLY weak conference. Just do the research you'll see. Big 12 is the weakest P5 by far right now.

You are insane. Iowa State also beat Oklahoma who just destroyed Florida, who beat UGA.

And Campbell is also doing all this at a school that is historically worse than Vandy.

First, I looked at D1 jobs. I heavily discount stuff lower than that level and I discount stuff at G5 level as compared to P5 level. Chadwell did well at rebuilding Charleston Southern but did bad job at Delta State.

He inherited a far better situation at CCU than Campbell did at ISU. One additional thing to remember about CCU - they were 1 of 2 teams nationally to get in a full spring practice in 2020. Obviously, he gets credit for getting them to 11-1 but that fact still has to be considered.

Chadwell is a good coach but if I had the choice between Campbell and Chadwell, I'm picking Campbell every day of the week. I wouldnt be upset with Chadwell but that is a riskier hire.

He was at Delta St. One year. And left because Coastal came calling for an OC position.

Look at Charleston Southern record before Chadwell. Coastal has been a "good" program. But Chadwell took them to another level this year. Mogli deserves the foresight for bringing in Chadwell. I mean that's no suprise being that he was fantastic on Wall street. That's kind of what you have to do.

Chadwells offense IS different at Coastal than it was at Charleston Southern. Which means he can and does adapt.

Again. Campbell would be a great hire, but he would need really strong recruiters HERE.
And I think him turning down bigger jobs is because he is aware of that himself.

He's in a very good spot.
And Chadwell is a TN boy thats just as good as him. I want a coach that will love UT for 20 years and win 4 National Championships, 12 SEC Championships. I think Chadwell can do that HERE.

Here you go with needless insult because some disagrees with you. Go kick rocks dude.

I proved your stupid point for what it was. Get over it...
Don’t get offended, get informed. I’m sure you’re astute in certain topics, just not college football.

The SEC is down. It’s easier to accumulate wins in the SEC East than the Big 12 round robin plus Iowa.

You are insane. Iowa State also beat Oklahoma who just destroyed Florida, who beat UGA.

And Campbell is also doing all this at a school that is historically worse than Vandy.
And he didn't lose by two scores to Louisiana?? Watch THAT game and tell me Iowa State was ever in control or was "sleep walking "

AGAIN that Florida team missed their whole offense basically! OU got better, yes, but that was NOT the same Florida team as in Atlanta.

You all know that too, so STOP.
They lost literally 60 percent of their offensive production RIGTH BEFORE THE ACTUAL GAME.

Texas fired their coach. So...what was that an example for? They beat Colorado. And again...Iowa State stared winning because of very point I made about the Big 12 being weak.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Don’t get offended, get informed. I’m sure your astute in certain topics, just not college football.

The SEC is down. It’s easier to accumulate wins in the SEC East than the Big 12 round robin plus Iowa.
We're done dude....
Usless rhetoric with no stats coming from you.

No reason to keep talking to me.

You were wrong.

And he didn't lose by two scores to Louisiana?? Watch THAT game and tell me Iowa State was ever in control or was "sleep walking "

AGAIN that Florida team missed their whole offense basically! OU got better, yes, but that was NOT the same Florida team as in Atlanta.

They lost literally 60 percent of their offensive production RIGTH BEFORE THE ACTUAL GAME.

Texas fired their coach. So...what was that an example for? They beat Colorado. And again...Iowa State stared winning because of very point I made about the Big 12 being weak.

That has nothing to do with the fact that Iowa State has been a worse program than Vandy and he's turned them into one of the better programs in the country over the last 4 years, beating Oklahoma twice over that time. And regardless of your opinion of the Big 12, he routinely beats teams with significantly more talent than him, which is what is important.

He's also highly regarded around the country, even catching the eye of NFL teams. Campbell is BY FAR the best and most accomplished candidate currently being discussed (aside from Malzahn) and he is a long shot to even consider this job.

He was at Delta St. One year. And left because Coastal came calling for an OC position.

Look at Charleston Southern record before Chadwell. Coastal has been a "good" program. But Chadwell took them to another level this year. Mogli deserves the foresight for bringing in Chadwell. I mean that's no suprise being that he was fantastic on Wall street. That's kind of what you have to do.

Chadwells offense IS different at Coastal than it was at Charleston Southern. Which means he can and does adapt.

Again. Campbell would be a great hire, but he would need really strong recruiters HERE.
And I think him turning down bigger jobs is because he is aware of that himself.

He's in a very good spot.
And Chadwell is a TN boy thats just as good as him. I want a coach that will love UT for 20 years and win 4 National Championships, 12 SEC Championships. I think Chadwell can do that HERE.

This is the dumbest post I have seen in quite some time. Coastal Carolina’s coach can come to TN- coach for 20 years, win 12 SEC Titles, and 4 Nattys. LilVol, I mean Mrs. Chadwell I applaud your optimism but you are outside of your damn mind.

So which sport do you watch?

If you’re making execuses for UF getting absolutely raped in a game in which OU didn’t want to be in, consider Iowa St led a good UL team until late in the 3rd quarter. They gave up two ST touchdowns and another long rush TD. Typical fluke game recipe, coming in game 1 of a unique offseason.

But Iowa st could have gotten manhandled and it wouldn’t mean a thing. We’re not hiring Campbell or any coach based on one game at a different school, we’re hiring them for what they’d do here. The UL loss isn’t even a footnote on projecting that.

There’s no factual evidence to worry about how Campbell would do here because he’s coaching in the Big 12. His schedule represents a larger obstacle to collecting wins than what he would face at Tennessee. Look at historical program records. It’s tough to win at Iowa St. But perhaps you’re right, and Tennessee isn’t actually a better job and easier to win at

He's the #1 prospect that we could get. I mean he's THE GUY if he would just say yes. No other coach we could hire right now IMO I can objectively say I honestly feel would win a National Championship here but I believe Campbell would. Even with the mess we are in he could win a NC within 8 years IMO. Have us SEC East Champs in 4.
That's a lot of expectation for a guy with a 7 game win avg at both his stops

That's a lot of expectation for a guy with a 7 game win avg at both his stops
I thought Vol fans think highly of Tennessee? If it’s one of the top jobs, it should facilitate a higher ceiling than at Iowa St.

And you should come to grips with even a home run hire not averaging too much more than 8 wins/year. Peak years more, 10 or 11, with down years 6 or 7.

Excluding Saban and Dabo, the only class above Campbell are the Smart, Riley, Day types. P5 guys that have gone to multiple NY6 games and multiple top 10 teams in the last 5 years. And given what those inherited and where they’re at, Campbell being a FG kicker away from having Iowa St in playoff contention is more impressive.

We need a builder. We need a more with less to catch up to Bama and UGa. That’s Campbell.

My concern with him is losing games he shouldn’t, but I think the recruiting bump at Tennessee (top-25 rather than top 50) would give his culture and style of play enough of a buffer. And the combination would thrive in games that we “shouldn’t” win

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreatLevelOrange
you don’t mean it do you?
You understand that I am talking about a coach with tons of positive energy, not necessarily head coach. There could be several possibilities that that type of person could be used for. We need somebody that can excite our team and work our state. Freeze came from Briarcrest and they aren't even in the same league as Maryville. Teams that win just always have that "we can beat anybody" attitude. That begins with the coaches and translates to the field, And yes I do mean it.

Last edited:
Because he's winning at historical doormat programs..
I understand that. I'm just not sure. Fleck and Campbell remind me of a Butch type hire. Looks good from a distance, but are they SEC caliber coaches? I don't like seeing the ups and downs. Id like to see a consistent line over more years.

Reactions: Teeboy
Uh, the played (competitively) against Oklahoma in their conference championship game and won a major bowl. Tennessee hasn’t won a major bowl since the 90s, and I think that is the last time we even played in one.
And lost to Louisiana Lafayette.

I understand that. I'm just not sure. Fleck and Campbell remind me of a Butch type hire. Looks good from a distance, but are they SEC caliber coaches? I don't like seeing the ups and downs. Id like to see a consistent line over more years.
What does Campbell have in common with Butch? Very little.

You understand that I am talking about a coach with tons of positive energy, not necessarily head coach. There could be several possibilities that that type of person could be used for. We need somebody that can excite our team and work our state. Freeze came from Briarcrest and they aren't even in the same league as Maryville. Teams that win just always have that "we can beat anybody" attitude. That begins with the coaches and translates to the field, And yes I do mean it.
Well that’s fine as an off the field roll somewhere but don’t put a ( maybe ) in there. Cause that’s stupid

He's the #1 prospect that we could get. I mean he's THE GUY if he would just say yes. No other coach we could hire right now IMO I can objectively say I honestly feel would win a National Championship here but I believe Campbell would. Even with the mess we are in he could win a NC within 8 years IMO. Have us SEC East Champs in 4.
Hugh Freeze absolutely would win a NC here. He would have us in the playoff within four years, probably within three.

I’d be ecstatic if our next coach had only such a blemish. A fluke loss against a top 20 team isn’t incriminating.

Think of it this way- any Bama loss in the last 10 years is arguably a worse display of coaching.
Well I hope you get your wish

It amazes me that despite how awful Tennessee has been lately, 8 losing seasons in the last 13 years, we still have fans who think Matt Campbell isn’t good enough for UT.
Well considering we were too good for Mullen, and now we're too good for Freeze, it only stands to reason that since Campbell is a proven coach several notches above most of the rest, he must not be what we want.

Thankfully, the geniuses who think all of the above coaches don't pass UT muster probably will have zero to do with who gets hired.

Reactions: iluvsmesumdooley
Iowa State is a average team in a bad conference, so this guy is going to come here and win in the SEC

Gary Pinkel came from that same conference and won fine in the SEC. if you don’t think Campbell is a really good coach then you know nothing about football.

VN Store

Back