Matt Campbell (Iowa State)

Poll: Hire Matt Campbell?

• Yes

Votes: 575 82.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 17.7%

• Total voters
I wonder what we would think of Iowa State if there big 12 hadn't realigned and lost its middle pack of teams. Campbell and his win average would probably be a loss or two worse.

I wonder what would happen if the Earth was 100,000 miles further from the Sun? Iowa State probably wouldn’t exist....

Last edited:
You’re right. I stand corrected. He won the Big 12 twice.

I’m not knocking Snyder. You don’t have to sell his accomplishments to me. I married a KState family and the man is a deity to them. Rightfully so. Nor am I knocking Campbell...I’ll be over the moon if UT hires him.

My point is, Snyder is a legend at KState in spite of never winning (or playing for) a NC and only winning his conference twice in 20 years. The bar to be a legend is lower there, as it is at ISU. Some coaches may prefer that. But Tennessee is a bigger stage and, when Tennessee is Tennessee, the ceiling is higher. The opportunity to win a NC is greater. Other coaches may prefer that. Think a coach like Nick Saban prefers a low bar or a high ceiling? We know it’s the latter.

So it depends on what Campbell prefers. I hope it’s the latter because I’d love to have him in Knoxville.
I agree. I was always impressed with Snyder because he could win at KSU, despite the difficulties of recruiting there. Obviously, we don’t know, but I assume Snyder could have been more successful in an area with a bigger recruiting base. I would be happy with Campbell as well.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I wonder what would happen if the Earth was a 100,000 miles further from the Sun? Iowa State probably wouldn’t exist....

I wonder if your mother hadn't been drunk at that party that night, you might know your father then.

I agree. I was always impressed with Snyder because he could win at KSU, despite the difficulties of recruiting there. Obviously, we don’t know, but I assume Snyder could have been more successful in an area with a bigger recruiting base. I would be happy with Campbell as well.
He was supposedly a master of JUCO recuiting. That was the secret sauce for his best years.

Reactions: VolsFan-TX
Yes or no? Everyone thinks it would never happen. I believe he makes around 3.5 mil a year, unless he has been raised. 6 mil buyout is doable and worth it. You wouldn't have to throw 7/8 mil at him. 5 or 5.5 mil may get him here.

It's pretty unreal what he's done at Iowa St.
He turned down Texas. He ain't comin' to Tennessee. With him, it's not about money anymore. He's very happy. Hard to put a price on that.

He turned down Texas. He ain't comin' to Tennessee. With him, it's not about money anymore. He's very happy. Hard to put a price on that.

With the success he's had at Iowa St and damn near the top of the league there in the Big 12, Texas may be a step down or lateral. I think Sark is gonna get Texas rolling big time. May be a good time for Campbell to make the jump to the best conference in the country, although Tennesee is currently a doormat.....

He's the #1 prospect that we could get. I mean he's THE GUY if he would just say yes. No other coach we could hire right now IMO I can objectively say I honestly feel would win a National Championship here but I believe Campbell would. Even with the mess we are in he could win a NC within 8 years IMO. Have us SEC East Champs in 4.

He's the #1 prospect that we could get. I mean he's THE GUY if he would just say yes. No other coach we could hire right now IMO I can objectively say I honestly feel would win a National Championship here but I believe Campbell would. Even with the mess we are in he could win a NC within 8 years IMO. Have us SEC East Champs in 4.
But he’s only won 35 games in five years and consistently competes with/beats teams with much better talent. How’s that impressive????????

But he’s only won 35 games in five years and consistently competes with/beats teams with much better talent. How’s that impressive????????

He could walk into this mess next year - and without me even knowing how many more transfers would hit the portal and so on and so forth I think if they announced Campbell he could put a recruiting class together and grab enough good transfers and JUCO players with his coaching ability that they'd STILL win 6 games next season. Give me that guy all day every day.

VN Store

Back