Marcus Freeman promoted to head coach at ND

So Clark Lea leaves ND last year to be Vandy's Head Coach. ND hires Freeman to replace Lea. A year later, Freeman is ND's head coach and Lea is 2-10 at a place where the home crowd is regularly outnumbered by the visitors. Ouch!

Nobody forced him to go. He knew before agreeing to be HC it wasn’t going to be easy.

Awful hire. ND decided to UT it and not spend the money. Love it

Freeman is a name that's become pretty popular among the college football world recently. He's young, energetic, and very bright. A lot like Lincoln Riley or Ryan Day when they took over their programs. Pretty safe to assume someone was gonna snatch him up as a HC sooner rather than later.

Not exactly a wow hire. Going cheap like UT. Kelly must have cost them a ton of money to settle with the family of the kid that died at practice.
He is an excellent young coach and a great recruiter. I like the hire

This may be a great hire…….that’s yet to be determined.

However just from the standpoint of ND being a big time program and have been winning a lot……..this is a hugely underwhelming hire.

Again the guy may be the next big thing……I certainly don’t know. However he’s only been a DC for 5 years now…….and only 1 year at ND………1 year as a DC at Purdue, 3 years as a DC in Cincinnati and 1 at ND………doesn’t make one think………big time HC.

ND is 56th in total D this year…….and tied for 11th in scoring D while only playing 1 team which is currently ranked (and they lost that game).

Seems like a HUGE reach.

He's a very good coach and very good recruiter. I expect he will have simular results to Kelly there.

Not exactly a wow hire. Going cheap like UT. Kelly must have cost them a ton of money to settle with the family of the kid that died at practice.
I think this is more of Notre Dame doesnt want to go through anymore national embarassment. They just had their first coach ever to leave for a different job. If Oklahoma and USC and heck LSU getting their old coach all getting more accomplished coaches to coaches on the market. They would rather gamble on a known commodity they can spin to the fans is a hot shot star in the makings, rather than going out and gambling on Tyrone Willingham or Charlie Weiss type coaches costing them loads of cash and terrible results.

I feel bad for those players. Kelly didnt even believe in them enough to stick around to see if they'd get in the playoffs. They are still in the hunt. Kelly had rather take the money than possibly get a ring with his team.

I normally despise Notre Dame. But if they do happen to make the playoffs, I'm cheering for them hardcore. And I hope Kelly gets ZERO credit or ring. Jerkbag is everything wrong with sports today.
Seriously. Shows how much he cares about his players, must be an absolute D bag.

Reactions: TNHopeful505
I feel bad for those players. Kelly didnt even believe in them enough to stick around to see if they'd get in the playoffs. They are still in the hunt. Kelly had rather take the money than possibly get a ring with his team.

I normally despise Notre Dame. But if they do happen to make the playoffs, I'm cheering for them hardcore. And I hope Kelly gets ZERO credit or ring. Jerkbag is everything wrong with sports today.

I used to would have echoed this sentiment, but with NIL and the transfer portal, not so much.

The players bail on a whim now, so I don’t see the “loyalty” from either side anymore.

Welcome to NFL lite.

He is an excellent young coach and a great recruiter. I like the hire

He may be a great coach, I really don’t know much about him.

Since I don’t (know him) help us understand somewhat……on him being a grest young coach and good recruiter.

for 2020, 247 has him rated at the 423rd best recruiter……even at ND for 2021 247 has him as the 104th best recruiter.

Again I don’t know him at all…….this just looks like a huge reach and a gamble…….one that may pay off big…….that’s yet to be determined.

Reactions: Rickyvol77

Had to have been some big time rifts w him and ND AD. He could have easily said not discussing or leaving until after season but guess early signing day trumped loyalty.

ND administration kept their promise to him when he was made DC.

On the surface he seems like a good hire for them. The players and recruits love him so that’s all that really matters.

On the surface he seems like a good hire for them. The players and recruits love him so that’s all that really matters.

That certainly helps…….but he’s also got to be able to manage the team…….and coach.

No doubt the players seem to love him, and that certainly helps……….but to take over at a consistent top 10 program……you “need” more than that……he may have everything else as well…….however we won’t know for a while.

That certainly helps…….but he’s also got to be able to manage the team…….and coach.

No doubt the players seem to love him, and that certainly helps……….but to take over at a consistent top 10 program……you “need” more than that……he may have everything else as well…….however we won’t know for a while.
Well he is extremely young for a head coach and I think he will be able to inject some excitement into that program. Yeah they have been really good under Brian Kelly but I never got the vibe that everyone enjoyed it there. It seemed like a case of a great coach but he wasn’t that relatable to the players and may have rubbed some people the wrong way. I guess we shall see how it all unfolds.

I hope the guy knocks it out the park…….I’m tired of Bama, Clemson and the occasional Ohio ST and maybe OK (at least being at the top).

I just didn’t like Kelly……still don’t. Not saying he isn’t a decent to good coach……..just don’t like the guy.

Freeman seems to definitely have the likability….and he’s definitely young at like 35.

Reactions: BIGORANGEBUBBA
He’s a prick. His team chat message proves it along with his 7 minute meeting at 7a by 7:11 he was seen speeding off campus.

I’ll bet Freeman last longer at ND than Tucker does at State

Eh don't know about that. Tucker is getting some talent there. Hell they grabbed that RB from Wake Forest who's now a Heisman candidate. Q Crouch from us.
And a bevy of skill players. And there HS recruiting is now the best it has ever been

VN Store

Back